Speculation: Setting the Expectations for the New Additions

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What are your expectations for the new crop of Canucks? Here is mine!

Myers: 45 points
Ferland: 50+ points
Miller: 55 points
Benn: 20+ points

I would appreciate any support for my article on The Hockey Writers as well!

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-2019-offseason-expectations/

So you’re projecting Myers to have his best season in over a decade, Ferland to have a career year by a mile, Miller to basically match his career highs, and Benn to duplicate his outlier career year from last year?

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
So you’re projecting Myers to have his best season in over a decade, Ferland to have a career year by a mile, Miller to basically match his career highs, and Benn to duplicate his outlier career year from last year?

What a year it will be. :popcorn:

Oh yeah... as for me... idk? Off the top of my head with no research whatsoever...

Miller 50 points
Ferland 40 points
Myers 35 points
Benn 10 points

Seems... reasonable? :dunno:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What a year it will be. :popcorn:

Oh yeah... as for me... idk? Off the top of my head with no research whatsoever...

Miller 50 points
Ferland 40 points
Myers 35 points
Benn 10 points

Seems... reasonable? :dunno:

If Miller plays primarily with Pettersson:

Miller - 55 points
Ferland - 30 points
Myers - 25 points
Benn - 15 points

If Ferland plays primarily with Pettersson:

Ferland 45 points
Miller 40 points

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
We’ll be a top seed in the Western Conference if we see numbers like that from those players.Is that what you expect to happen this year?

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

So typical around here. Remember when everybody expected 50 points out of Gagner?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I think if the blueline stays healthy & Markstrom is around the same level of performance as this past season, it'll have a greater impact (in a positive way) than the new additions (from an offensive standpoint). Might sneak in a wild card spot if that's the case.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

kallor

May 15, 2015
Call me crazy but I think Miller explodes for 70 if he plays with Pettersson and Boeser. He put up 18 in 19 games last time he was playing top line with elite talent.

55 if he plays with Horvat.

Ferland is harder to predict but I think he'll be on a 60 pt pace if he plays top line and 50 with Horvat. Question will be if he's healthy and if he continues to increase the # of shots he takes. His S% took a hit last year and he avg. 14 min a night while taking the most shots in his career.

It sounds like the initial plan for Myers will be to play him with Benn and have them take pressure off Edler and Hughes' line. If that's the case I see 40 pts. I also assume he will be on PP1 the majority of the year. Of his 31 pts last year only 7 were PP. The year prior he had 17.

Benn is going to be leaned on heavily to cover up for Myers and wont get any PP time. I see him putting up 10 points.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
This article suggest we got a deal in Miller. Bullcrappy. We overpaid big time. A 2nd, a 3rd and a prospect would have been reasonable. A protected 1st is insane for a team that has missed the playoffs 4 straight years .... and if that 1st, whichever year it is, is a top 10 pick than we gave away way to much.

And whoever plays with EP and Boeser is going to have a career year. Think it should be Ferland just because it will make other teams nervous to go after EP.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
If Miller plays primarily with Pettersson:

Miller - 55 points
Ferland - 30 points
Myers - 25 points
Benn - 15 points

If Ferland plays primarily with Pettersson:

Ferland 45 points
Miller 40 points
Op must be high. This is the correct answer.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
JT Miller - 55 points
Micheal Ferland - 40 points
Tyler Myers - 25 points
Jordie Benn - 15 points

I think Miller is going to have a solid offensive year. The other guys will be judged moreso on other components to their game, but I’m not expecting lofty offensive totals from any of Ferland, Myers or Benn.

Reactions: DomY

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Op must be high. This is the correct answer.

Miller still got 47 points in down year, bounced around the TBL lineup did he not?

Even apart from Pettersson I would think he scores above 40 points as he appears to be a good offensive distributor in general, whereas Ferland seems to be the one more reliant on clicking with top end talent.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Miller can put up 50 points with Horvat. 60+ career year is possible with Petey/Boeser.

Not sure what to expect from the others, especially Ferland. His discount price makes me think he's going to play timid because of his injury history..

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You're going to be disappointed.

Myers - 34 pts
Ferland - 36 pts
Miller - 52 pts
Benn - 18 pts
Based on recent career 'averages' for these players, these numbers might not be too far off. Seems the Canucks are always acquiring guys who they expect to score more, except that they rarely do. And at this point in their careers, outlier years are harder to come by.

The only thing that might help Miller and Myers crash through the glass ceiling is the pp. If the Canucks have a lethal pp, their numbers might be inflated with serious minutes on the man advantage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad