Friedman: Could the Leafs target Seth Jones?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Both players are overpaid so a straight Marner Jones swap makes sense.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I think Jones might have some value after this year. 5 year left and the 9.5 will look alot better after 2 years of the cap going up $3mil each. when AVG RD are getting $7mil per year ETC. a solid #2 RD will probably be worth close to 9.5 X 5 years.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I proposed,

To Toronto-
Seth Jones
Alex Vlasic
2nd Overall Pick

To Chicago-
Mitch Marner
Timothy Liljegren
Fraser Minton
23rd Overall Pick
as a Leafs fan, and a Minten fan, thats a lot for the Leafs ...Chicago is overpaying

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Both players are overpaid so a straight Marner Jones swap makes sense.
A deal around marner and Jones could work. More assests would need to be included.

Bedard is completely off the table if marner is involved. And marner has to be included if Jones is involved. Unless theres some crazy deal around tavares ++ is for Jones but highly unlikely.
Jones contract is untradeable. CHI would have to add significantly. Tavares has 1 year left on his deal. Where is the incentive for the Leafs to take on that boat anchor? Ludicrous.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I heard this speculation. Made me feel a lot better about losing yesterday’s game.

Who knows, what with having to hire security and how he’s viewed in the city, he may accept a trade.

So if not at home, why not the murder capital of the US?

Oh he's probably getting traded but he still has to agree to go, and like I said I'm not convinced he's going to waive to go to Chicago and spend the rest of his prime outside of the playoffs.

Chicago is in for a LONG rebuild

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
I proposed,

To Toronto-
Seth Jones
Alex Vlasic
2nd Overall Pick

To Chicago-
Mitch Marner
Timothy Liljegren
Fraser Minton
23rd Overall Pick

Chicago is rebuilding why would they want Marner and why would they trade the second overall? You got to at least try to propose a trade that meets both teams needs, even if the value is off a bit.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Chicago is rebuilding why would they want Marner and why would they trade the second overall? You got to at least try to propose a trade that meets both teams needs, even if the value is off a bit.
Marner is an elite winger who would absolutely thrive playing beside Bedard and make Bedard that much more lethal. He's also just entering the people of his career. It's not like he's an over the hill player. He's a 100 point winger who is just entering his prime. Having Bedard and Marner for the next 8 years would solidify their first line.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
2015 Rantanen was picked #10
2016 Matt Tkachuk #6
2017 Elias Petterson #5
2018 Quinn Hughes #7

Cool, 4 players over 4 seasons. What about the other 24 players picked between 3rd - 10th those years?

It's like you still don't understand the salary cap and team control. What winger has ever been traded for a top 10 pick, yet alone #2 with one year left.

I went out of my way to say at absolute best he would be worth 2nd OA alone, and you took that as I think he is getting 2ndOA. My point was the Leafs won that proposal.

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
Marner is an elite winger who would absolutely thrive playing beside Bedard and make Bedard that much more lethal. He's also just entering the people of his career. It's not like he's an over the hill player. He's a 100 point winger who is just entering his prime. Having Bedard and Marner for the next 8 years would solidify their first line.

Marner is well into his prime, he is 27, only a few years away from when you'd expect him to start slowing down. Chicago also isn't 1 elite winger from a cup here. They are rebuilding. They need picks and prospects to build their future. By the time Chicago is in the playoffs, it is likely Marner is 29 or 30. It just doesn't make sense given where Chicago currently is.

If they really want Marner, why not keep the second overall, suck again next year, draft high again, then sign him as a UFA. They'd still get the benefits of having Marner as they improve while also not hurting their prospect pool.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
4 years in a row there were players picked between 5-10 who are as good/better than Marner.
"almost no players"

You just keep proving my point lol. Using that sample size, 1/5 players in that range have an argument as being as good as Marner so 20%.

Now tell me why the team trading Marner is doing so for a 20% chance at getting a player just as good? Draft picks have always been overrated on this board but even still this is a crazy stance to take.

And I even said 3-10 so really it is even smaller of a sample size, 7 * 4 - 4 would be more 15% chance.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Average player, atrocious contract. Seth Jones and Darnell Nurse somehow convinced NHL GMs they are not only top pairing defensemen, but legitimate #1s. Reality is they are 3/4 types.

Oof. Marner probably isn't worth a top half of the 1st round pick. You don't win with soft wingers and he makes 11M and has one year left.
Top half? I think a team like Seattle would be willing to at least consider trading the 8th overall pick for marner considering you'd be lucky to get a guy as good as him in a few years time. It really depends on the pick and the team

Ledge And Dairy

Top half? I think a team like Seattle would be willing to at least consider trading the 8th overall pick for marner considering you'd be lucky to get a guy as good as him in a few years time. It really depends on the pick and the team
Highly unlikely. Marner as a rental and can't be valued as anything more than that in a trade. I could see them offering something like Bjorkstrand + Borgen/Larsson + Sale

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Oof. Marner probably isn't worth a top half of the 1st round pick. You don't win with soft wingers and he makes 11M and has one year left.

Are you okay, man?

That guy thinks there are 15 better players than Marner in the draft lmfao

What a clown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad