Seth Jones and his future (Sportsnet reports he intends to test free agency)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Jones is arguably the most important player in the franchise right now and he is due to negotiate a contract this summer. It’s time he got his own thread

I just listened to his exit interview, and while his message of “I have to take a step back and see what I want” is vastly different from the message of “I can’t wait to negotiate” that he said around in January, I don’t think it was completely doom and gloom either.

He was asked repeatedly about the future of the team and the importance of the young players going forward. He was very engaged and very talkative about certain players and certain themes he believes will be important going forward. He was very reflective of what went wrong this year and what he thinks can be the fix in the future. He seemed pretty invested in the future and wasn’t just giving short and simple answers, which if he already had and eye out the door you wouldn’t think he would give.

What is everyone’s thoughts on Seth jones and his future here? I assume it’ll almost be unanimous that we want to keep him, but how high would you go to keep him?

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
My hope is he stays and returns to form after an off year.

Hoping around 8 x $9 million as a max. I have a feeling it's going to take $10 million per year to get it done.

Would I go over $9 million? Possibly, although I'd be looking very closely at his medical report and I'd try to convince him that the team could bring in more help if it stays at that number.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
We really need to know from Seth "are you in or are you out?" And if you don't know, "what is it that you are waiting to find out?" Give him the $72m and get an answer.

It really is going to decide whether we rebuild or try and make some moves to take an immediate step forward. There's actual #1Cs on the market this year, but there's no point in going down that route if Seth isn't excited for it.

His decision could decide our next coach, our next captain, who we draft, and the fate of several guys on the roster. We need to know before July.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
We really need to know from Seth "are you in or are you out?" And if you don't know, "what is it that you are waiting to find out?" Give him the $72m and get an answer.

It really is going to decide whether we rebuild or try and make some moves to take an immediate step forward. There's actual #1Cs on the market this year, but there's no point in going down that route if Seth isn't excited for it.

His decision could decide our next coach, our next captain, who we draft, and the fate of several guys on the roster. We need to know before July.

Jarmo can't force an answer other than getting a signature on an extension. Otherwise its maybe he stays maybe he goes. Hopefully Jarmo can get the signature. If he doesn't then its gut check time for Jarmo. trade him now or risk another Panarin fiasco. Tough spot to be in.

As to the 1c's on the market who exactly are they? Danault? He wasn't even 1C for Montreal. RNH? he plays a lot of wing these days. Eichel? Possibly but not certain.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Jarmo can't force an answer other than getting a signature on an extension. Otherwise its maybe he stays maybe he goes. Hopefully Jarmo can get the signature. If he doesn't then its gut check time for Jarmo. trade him now or risk another Panarin fiasco. Tough spot to be in.

As to the 1c's on the market who exactly are they? Danault? He wasn't even 1C for Montreal. RNH? he plays a lot of wing these days. Eichel? Possibly but not certain.

Seth can sit down with Jarmo today and tell him what he's thinking. He can't sign today but he can tell him what his conditions are, and Jarmo can plan from there.

There's a lot more potential 1Cs in play than I was expecting. J.T. Miller is unhappy in Vancouver and obviously Jack Eichel and Samson Reinhart are trying to get out of Buffalo. Reinhart will definitely be traded.

Reactions: LJ7201

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Do you guys agree with Portzline? A couple of times he said if Jones won't sign a new contract, you have to immediately start shopping him. Would his value be more on July 1st(or whatever day the free agent begins) or at the trade deadline(I guess risk of injury would be a gamble)? If Columbus immediately shops him, it's obvious he won't sign so would teams low ball Jarmo? Or when a player like Jones becomes available, you don't screw around by low balling because of the fear of another team acquiring him?

Seth can sit down with Jarmo today and tell him what he's thinking. He can't sign today but he can tell him what his conditions are, and Jarmo can plan from there.

There's a lot more potential 1Cs in play than I was expecting. J.T. Miller is unhappy in Vancouver and obviously Jack Eichel and Samson Reinhart are trying to get out of Buffalo. Reinhart will definitely be traded.
Can they actually talk right now? I thought you can't even talk until you can sign a new contract? Or is it one of those things, you technically can't talk but players and teams always do. Basically NHL would have no proof unless a player or GM admits that they did?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

It could also be said that those decisions will dictate what he wants to do as well. Sadly those decisions go both ways.

What I hope is that when he and the leadership team met to discuss what they want to communicate that he is using his status and leverage for what he believes is best for the team and not just for himself.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Do you guys agree with Portzline? A couple of times he said if Jones won't sign a new contract, you have to immediately start shopping him. Would his value be more on July 1st(or whatever day the free agent begins) or at the trade deadline(I guess risk of injury would be a gamble)? If Columbus immediately shops him, it's obvious he won't sign so would teams low ball Jarmo? Or when a player like Jones becomes available, you don't screw around by low balling because of the fear of another team acquiring him?

Yeah if Jones says no you don’t wait. You shop him and deal him whenever you feel you get your best offer. If he says maybe you swing as hard as you can this offseason to make the roster better while trying to keep an eye on the future (as in you don’t trade this years first (ours) or next years.) and try again later in the summer. If he says no after that, or is still unsure, you start shopping him.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Depending on how negotiations go I think you hold him until either the trade deadline or he starts dogging it unless the bridge in negotiations is too wide or he flat out says he wants out. Under no circumstances should he walk for nothing.

Reactions: punk_o_holic

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
If he says no in July (or is still “taking a step back”), Jarmo has the rest of the off-season to convince him to say yes. If it’s still a no by September, he has to be moved before training camp. No more season starts being ruined by malcontents.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If he says no in July (or is still “taking a step back”), Jarmo has the rest of the off-season to convince him to say yes. If it’s still a no by September, he has to be moved before training camp. No more season starts being ruined by malcontents.

I'm not even waiting that long. This year's free agency date is July 28th, and I think expansion, the entry draft, and the start of trading is all the week prior. Seth has to indicate his willingness to stay to Jarmo before all of that happens or, regardless of whether it's a no or "I need more time", Jarmo needs to shop Seth and probably plan a deeper retool. We can't have one foot in each pond this summer, it's go big (get a 1C) or go home (retool).

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah if Jones says no you don’t wait. You shop him and deal him whenever you feel you get your best offer. If he says maybe you swing as hard as you can this offseason to make the roster better while trying to keep an eye on the future (as in you don’t trade this years first (ours) or next years.) and try again later in the summer. If he says no after that, or is still unsure, you start shopping him.

If he says maybe you have to find out what the conditions are. Big difference between "maybe, I want to see if you get a center" and "maybe, I'm still not sure where I want to be". We can't be spending futures to get a 1C if Seth isn't going to stay. And I think the trade market is best for us closer to July 28th. Teams will be on to other plans by late summer.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
If Jarmo makes Jones a huge record setting offer like I anticipate he will -- like highest paid dman territory -- and Jones balks then he needs to immediately shop him. He absolutely CANNOT let this drag out over the summer into the following season for a multitude of reasons I won't rehash here.

Also teams reshape their rosters in June/July -- waiting until later limits his trade partners as they fill up their cap space, etc.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If Jarmo makes Jones a huge record setting offer like I anticipate he will -- like highest paid dman territory -- and Jones balks then he needs to immediately shop him. He absolutely CANNOT let this drag out over the summer into the following season for a multitude of reasons I won't rehash here.

Also teams reshape their rosters in June/July -- waiting until later limits his trade partners as they fill up their cap space, etc.

Highest paid D is I think Karlsson at $11.5m. I think anything more than $9m is too much for Seth.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Sounds like they did that today

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Sounds like they did that today

to me it sounds more like a group leadership (Jones, Werenski, Bjork, Jenner, and Cam) meeting with jarmo to talk about what they think the team needs going forward and the culture they need to foster. Not really a contractual thing although I doubt that wasn’t brought up at all.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
to me it sounds more like a group leadership (Jones, Werenski, Bjork, Jenner, and Cam) meeting with jarmo to talk about what they think the team needs going forward and the culture they need to foster. Not really a contractual thing although I doubt that wasn’t brought up at all.
I would imagine they have one on one exit interviews with management as well though? I could be wrong but that's what happens at the end of every season

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If he won't sign for $7.5 million for 8 years then ship him out before training camp. His contract won't age well in its last few years-in fact, his production has been falling over the past 3 years. At $7.5 million he would be the 15th highest paid defenseman and that's about the most he would deserve.

NHL Rankings

If Jarmo gives him a "reward contract" then he's a fool. Jones will be Karlsson/Doughty v2.0 in terms of albatross contract. Doughty was central to 2 Stanley Cups so his deal is somewhat justifiable while Karlsson's is absurd.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jovavic

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I’m fine with 9.5 and under .. even though it feels like a slight overpay… but we cannot wait.

No if’s or maybes … Jarmo must refuse to put the team through a Panarin 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->