Confirmed with Link: Seth Jones, 32nd OA, 6th RD Traded to Chicago for Adam Boqvist,12th OA,2021 2nd,Conditional 2022 1st

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You know,

I don't feel the least bit sorry for Seth Jones signing long term with a team who is willing to acquire a hall of fame goalie without even knowing if he is willing to play for them or not.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Fleury either plays or retires.

If he plays they have the reigning Vezina winner in net.

If he retires they have no cap hit from him.

They traded nothing for him.

Seems like a win or nothing deal for the Hawks, unless Fleury puts up one of his stinkers next year.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio

Seems like a win or nothing deal for the Hawks, unless Fleury puts up one of his stinkers next year.
Not sure how likely it is but he could be difficult in a few ways like waiting to tell them his plans, being publicly upset, etc

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

I always through there was some sort of cap penalty if someone retires before their contract is up. maybe I'm wrong.

I also think this is just Fleury's agent bringing attention to himself because that is who Allan Walsh is just like he did with the jab at Vegas last year. I have a hard time believing Fleury is so heartbroken that he'll give up $6 million dollars.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015

R.3a90a92613ca55b2eef1de7c19bf3a57

Reactions: majormajor

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I always through there was some sort of cap penalty if someone retires before their contract is up. maybe I'm wrong.

I also think this is just Fleury's agent bringing attention to himself because that is who Allan Walsh is just like he did with the jab at Vegas last year. I have a hard time believing Fleury is so heartbroken that he'll give up $6 million dollars.

he likley just wants more money. In the structure he's only making $6M this year (cap hit $7M) so I'm sure if Chicago gives him 2 years and $13M all will be fine.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I could be wrong but I think the only times there is a cap penalty is if

1) the contract is subject to cap recapture for having low dollar years at the end, which was allowed under the previous CBA but not anymore, or

2) if the contract was signed at age 35 or later.

Neither applies here.

Reactions: EspenK

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
MAF clearly made one of the worst puck handling gaffes at one of the most inopportune times and likely cost LVGK the series vs Montreal. He had to expect that his play was going to come back to haunt him at some point. Suck it up and go meet your new team.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
MAF clearly made one of the worst puck handling gaffes at one of the most inopportune times and likely cost LVGK the series vs Montreal. He had to expect that his play was going to come back to haunt him at some point. Suck it up and go meet your new team.

He’s like 39 years old. He’s earned the right to dictate if he wants to play somewhere or not. Not wanting to uproot your family for a second time nearly across the country isn’t exactly an uncommon thing. The MTL gaffe doesn’t matter at all.

I like Fleury. I hope he retires so I don’t have to root against him in Chicago.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
With every passing day this trade ages like a fine wine.

Overpaid.
Not a leader.
Analytics hate him.

Thanks for the draft picks!

Reactions: LJ7201

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
He’s like 39 years old. He’s earned the right to dictate if he wants to play somewhere or not. Not wanting to uproot your family for a second time nearly across the country isn’t exactly an uncommon thing. The MTL gaffe doesn’t matter at all.

I like Fleury. I hope he retires so I don’t have to root against him in Chicago.

I'm pretty sure it means Chicago sucks since star players they trade for refuse to go.

This is gonna be a fun running gag for a while. At least for me.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
LOL.. MAF is not why Vegas lost that series and really you could actually argue he was a big reason why Vegas even made it that far to begin with.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm pretty sure it means Chicago sucks since star players they trade for refuse to go.

This is gonna be a fun running gag for a while. At least for me.

Chicago sort of sucked this past season. Finished 12th worst team? Added the Jones Brothers (aren't they a pop singing group?). Get Toews back. Potentially add Fleury. I don't think they will suck as badly next season. If Fleury doesn't join then they need a goalie.

Edit" Oops missed the joke first time around.

Last edited:

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Please hockey gods give us that #3 overall pick. If we suck as much as expected, we could leave with #1 and #3. Overnight rebuild. Wright at #1 and Miroshnichenko or whoever at #3.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn

He's 36.

I like him, too, and also hope he doesn't play for CHI.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->