World Cup: set to expand to 40 teams from 2026 as part of Fifa reform plan

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I don't know how adding more teams makes it a joke. If it were possible I'd want every country in the tournament. I't called the World Cup for a reason.

That'll be some group with Indonesia, Kuwait, Bhutan, Antarctica, Fiji, Germany, North Korea and Eritrea. What a spectacle. There is qualifying for a reason.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is what would've been added for the last WC with 40 teams.

AFC: Uzbekistan and Jordan
CAF: Likely Senegal and Egypt
CONCACAF: None
CONMEBOL: None
UEFA: Likely Ukraine, maybe Sweden, Iceland or Romania.
Oceania: New Zealand

I think the clear problems with this is not that you are adding so many terrible teams, although Uzbekistan, Jordan and New Zealand are pretty bad, but its the distribution of spots that doesn't make sense.

If you are adding teams it should be

AFC: 3
CAF: 4.5
CONCACAF: 6
CONMEBOL: 7
UEFA: 20

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
32 is fine.

If they want more African teams to qualify then prove they deserve it. They fail at every World Cup nearly.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Because Africa has more countries and the competition is better...

better then South America? lol. Hell even CONCACAF has a much better claim to deserving more spots, and we just flat out don't, 3.5 is about right for us under the current setup until we can start producing results consistently beyond the US and Mexico. But expand to 40? ****, might as well take the entire Hex.

I would also say it's a place the game can grow.

But it has to do with the number of voters there if we are being honest.

Bingo

This is what would've been added for the last WC with 40 teams.

AFC: Uzbekistan and Jordan
CAF: Likely Senegal and Egypt
CONCACAF: None
CONMEBOL: None
UEFA: Likely Ukraine, maybe Sweden, Iceland or Romania.
Oceania: New Zealand

I think the clear problems with this is not that you are adding so many terrible teams, although Uzbekistan, Jordan and New Zealand are pretty bad, but its the distribution of spots that doesn't make sense.

AFC: 3
CONMEBOL: 7
UEFA: 20

About what I'd want as well, but no way in hell would they ever take spots away from AFC and CAF when they flat out dominate the vote in terms of sheer numbers. Whole damn thing needs to be blown up.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
--
--

CONCACAF don't deserve more spots than CAF. They already scrape the bottom of the barrel with four, Honduras are useless. Africa is a deeper confederation. USA, Mexico and Costa Rica may have done better than most African teams at the World Cup recently but those are the only CONCACAF teams capable of doing anything. The pool of teams who miss out in Africa is stronger than the likes of Panama, Jamaica, Haiti, etc.

Granting any more spots to CONCACAF or CONMEBOL will drastically dilute the qualification process in those confederations. If they're going down that road I think they should unify the qualifying for those two. The one or two South American teams that would make it would be a damn sight better than adding two or more CONCACAF teams. Mexico and USA would probably still qualify and if they can't beat out the weaker teams in CONMEBOL then they wouldn't deserve to anyway.

Of course, this is speaking strictly from a perspective of merit, which won't be the whole basis for any expansion of the World Cup.

DyerMaker66*

Yeah, watching ****** football helps how?

You're saying the 33rd team in the world is ****? USA, Ghana, and Poland are ****?

Canada was the lowest ranking member at the 2000 Gold Cup and won. It's much different from hockey where only the best 6 or so nations even have a chance at winning and know how to play.

DyerMaker66*

That'll be some group with Indonesia, Kuwait, Bhutan, Antarctica, Fiji, Germany, North Korea and Eritrea. What a spectacle. There is qualifying for a reason.

Yeah with every country in the world there it'd automatically be a spectacle. :laugh:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
CONCACAF don't deserve more spots than CAF. They already scrape the bottom of the barrel with four, Honduras are useless. Africa is a deeper confederation. USA, Mexico and Costa Rica may have done better than most African teams at the World Cup recently but those are the only CONCACAF teams capable of doing anything. The pool of teams who miss out in Africa is stronger than the likes of Panama, Jamaica, Haiti, etc.

Granting any more spots to CONCACAF or CONMEBOL will drastically dilute the qualification process in those confederations. If they're going down that road I think they should unify the qualifying for those two. The one or two South American teams that would make it would be a damn sight better than adding two or more CONCACAF teams. Mexico and USA would probably still qualify and if they can't beat out the weaker teams in CONMEBOL then they wouldn't deserve to anyway.

Of course, this is speaking strictly from a perspective of merit, which won't be the whole basis for any expansion of the World Cup.

CAF performs worse at WC's than CONCACAF does, so I don't know why they deserve more spots. You can say that CAF is deeper, but if we are adding spots to each confederation, we are still arguing over bad teams who likely won't win a game at the tournament. Is Senegal better than Panama? Is Egypt better than Jamaica?

xavi4life

Mr. Irreverent
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
You're saying the 33rd team in the world is ****? USA, Ghana, and Poland are ****?

Canada was the lowest ranking member at the 2000 Gold Cup and won. It's much different from hockey where only the best 6 or so nations even have a chance at winning and know how to play.

Yes, I'm saying they're ****. I don't care to watch any of those teams play.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
CAF performs worse at WC's than CONCACAF does, so I don't know why they deserve more spots. You can say that CAF is deeper, but if we are adding spots to each confederation, we are still arguing over bad teams who likely won't win a game at the tournament. Is Senegal better than Panama? Is Egypt better than Jamaica?

Deserve in the sense that if you were to expand the tournament, based on the size and relative depth of their confederation they would certainly be up for a couple more spots.

And yeah, I would consider the likes of Senegal, Egypt, Tunisia etc to be better than CONCACAF's secondary teams, no question.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
Perhaps they should introduce both a "young gunz" and a "best of the rest" team!:sarcasm:

Last edited:

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
More teams less need for bribes, right? :sarcasm:

Option A:

40 teams...8 groups of 5. Top 2 advance is the easiest to get to 16. Each nation gets 1 more game but knockout stages do not change. (More money for everyone)

Option B:
Top 3 advance. 1 gets a bye into Rd of 16. 2s vs 3s in an opening round? Each nation gets 1 more game and 60% of nations get at least 2. (More money for everyone and even more money for some and a ******** more money for FIFA :D)

While neither option is great, I do not like the idea of having "3 best 3rd place teams" or whatever it would be advance. This limits everything to the play in a particular group deciding who moves on.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I won't mind this if it remains 8 groups, with 5 teams instead of 4. Top 2 advancing still.
This is the rumor I read, and I agree. I'm completely fine with it. In fact, expanding the round robin to 4 games instead of 3 will allow better teams more of a chance to overcome a bad result early in the round. The extra teams they will be adding in will at the very least be competitive with the mid-tier Cup teams with a definite chance to steal some points.

King 88

Mar 5, 2010
No thank you if anything more european countries. World cup has already too many countries that dont deserve to be there.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
6 of 13 UEFA nations made it into the knockout stages in 2010 and 2014. That's not exactly the success that would deserve more teams.

I would expect 2018 to be as successful as 2006 since it is another "home" tournament.

Adding any number of nations will simply expand the list of "probably doesnt belong" nations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad