Prospect Info: Serron Noel (2018, #34 overall), Oshawa Generals (OHL)

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Just wanted to stop in to say how much I love this guy. I'll be watching him tonight again and saw him in October. I can't see any holes in his game. This guy can absolutely fly for a guy his size, his skating has improved so much. His shot is great, he's a very good passer, huge AND mean. The negativity in this thread is just nuts because this guy is looking like a sure-shot steal-of-the-draft to me.

Yeah I agree, the haters will realize it. He's a force in the ohl right now who has a promising nhl career ahead of him and is improving. His skating issues were always way overblown here, there's no reason he shouldn't be on the Panthers roster within two years.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
So will he be like bjugstad, but good?

I haven’t had high hopes for him but I certainly hope he pans out.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Well, 21 seconds into the game, Noel gets an assist. He's back on the first line these past two games and you can see why. He's dominant in the O-zone with his reach. The pivoting and cycling skills on the side wall are also a big asset. Very hard to knock off the puck.

9 mins later, he scoops up a rebound on the PP and circles behind the net to find a wide open teammate on the blue line for the snipe and goal. 2-0 Oshawa, 10 mins in, Noel has 2 assists.

He's played both PK and PP (parked in front of the net for screens and garbage goals) this weekend. He gets involved in scrums and hits hard.

I think our top 6/9 RW's are pretty set with Tippett and Noel in the mix.

Last edited:

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
excited for the board to turn on him in a few months
I hope people won't be labeling him a bust if he gets sent back to juniors for one more year. Given that he won't be AHL eligible, it's better than playing him seven minutes a night on the fourth line if we can't convince him to go oversees.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If this guy's speed doesn't improve then there's no sense in getting excited.

Some of the quotes I've seen from OHL writers or most prospect writeups have praised his improvement in skating and edge work. Along with his work ethic to adapt and become more than a tough guy, Serron has stated he wants to blend the physicality and skill game together.

I dug a bit further and his longtime minor coach and former NHL defenseman Jason York, introduced him to a female figure skater and current skating coach in 2017.

"I started the skating lessons last summer, twice a week. I found tremendous improvement and feel more stable on my skates compared to last year" - Noel

Also he placed 1st in the 30M forward skate at the top prospects combine last year.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Noel with an assist and the OT winner tonight (his 2nd GWG of the year), bit of a broken play, he tried to pass it to teammate on a odd man rush, puck came back to him when it bounced off defenders skate and he finished the job. His speed was very evident on the winner. This was a huge 4-3 win for the Generals, the Ottawa 67's are the 2nd ranked team in the entire CHL.

That's now 12 goals, 8 assists in 18 games.

@Ghoste , that's your cue for the gif :cheers:

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Noel with an assist and the OT winner tonight (his 2nd GWG of the year), bit of a broken play, he tried to pass it to teammate on a odd man rush, puck came back to him when it bounced off defenders skate and he finished the job. His speed was very evident on the winner. This was a huge 4-3 win for the Generals, the Ottawa 67's are the 2nd ranked team in the entire CHL.

That's now 12 goals, 8 assists in 18 games.

@Ghoste , that's your cue for the gif :cheers:
^haha

-ghoste

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
He looked awful in the preseason game I saw of him.

He's a Panther, so I hope he develops his game in the O and turns out to be a nice find. I don't think anyone is actually rooting against him.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i dont think any one actually roots against any of our players. its just a matter of differnt opinions. some will like a players style and others wont, and if they dont (or if they dont produce) theyre either not confident in them being a strong contributor or not confident in them to hit that mark. i was pretty against huberdeau and what i saw from him. didnt mean i hated him or against him or rooter against him. i obviously want all of ours players to succeed because i want the team to succeed. however that gets done is irrelevant to me. and when huberdeau got it together, improved on his deficiencies, and got better i recognized it, others did as well, and im way more confident in him now. maybe some are weary of changing their original stance (a pride thing?) but i know for me at least i just call it like i see it as a player myself and a student of the game, if i dont like things ill mention it, if i like things ill mention it, and if players improve itll become noticeable and ill gladly give them props for that.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
kid is only 18. He's producing and sounds like has a great work ethic and aptitude for improvement. He has great size and is not a gentle giant like all of our big players. Give him time, let him develop properly and he's exactly what we need in this franchise as far as depth and hopefully a legit NHLer that can contribute. Guys like him are the bedrock of a winning team.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Picks up an assist on their 4th goal tonight, having quite the game. 2 goals, 3pts, 6mins to go.
Gets an assist on the empty net so he finishes the night with four points (2+2), first star of the game :)

And I'm there with you with crushing on the kid. I mean, I'm trying not to get too excited but if he pans out...
He already had great hands and great hockey sense... and he's hardworking too. The skating has improved so much it's now a strength?? (seriously, can we arrange for Ekblad to have skating lessons with this figure skating lady next summer)). I'd still like to see a bit more production from him - he's another guy that needs to shoot more; putting up only 2.8 shots per game (and that's an improvement over last year). He also needs to be more consistent but that should come in time.

Just don't rush him if he's not ready for a top9 role next year. Seriously, be patient with the kid. I kinda wish he was playing in college - I'd have no qualms keeping him there for another year. Just whatever you do, don't put him on the fourth line in the NHL next year. Even another OHL season should be less harmful than that.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Gets an assist on the empty net so he finishes the night with four points (2+2), first star of the game :)

And I'm there with you with crushing on the kid. I mean, I'm trying not to get too excited but if he pans out...
He already had great hands and great hockey sense... and he's hardworking too. The skating has improved so much it's now a strength?? (seriously, can we arrange for Ekblad to have skating lessons with this figure skating lady next summer)). I'd still like to see a bit more production from him - he's another guy that needs to shoot more; putting up only 2.8 shots per game (and that's an improvement over last year). He also needs to be more consistent but that should come in time.

Just don't rush him if he's not ready for a top9 role next year. Seriously, be patient with the kid. I kinda wish he was playing in college - I'd have no qualms keeping him there for another year. Just whatever you do, don't put him on the fourth line in the NHL next year. Even another OHL season should be less harmful than that.

All the interviews I've read, coaches/scouts/teammates praise his work ethic and drive to get better. He was pretty disappointed not being a first round pick so that seemed to have lit a fire in his belly. His skating, +/- and offensive improvement, which you mentioned, are a clear indicator of this will to be a complete 200 ft player

His nose for the net is incredible, once he gets a step on you, it's hard to get the puck back off him, he protects the biscuit well.

I'd love if Ekblad and others would work more with figure skaters. The edgework, starts/stops and agility are clearly evident with Noel and others like Jeff Skinner and Dylan Larkin who are two of the quicker skaters in the NHL

Part of me still wishes he was a defenseman. He'd be a smooth skating RD with size, grit and two ability on offense and defense. A blend of Seth Jones and Dustin Byfuglien.

But I'll take a Blake Wheeler/Wayne Simmonds RW just as much too. Either way, he looks to be a top 9 RW at worst. I'm gonna say great 2nd liner if he keeps up the hard work, on and off the ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad