Seriously no Playoffs thread? Playoff thread.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
THIS is why we need to be fighting for the playoffs. Colorado squeaked into the 8th seed and it looks like they have a good chance to beat the top seed. Why can't that be us next year?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Going through the Avs scoring summary:

Mackinnon (23 years old) from Barrie (27) and Compher (23)

MacKinnon (23) from Rantanen (21) and Landeskog (25)

Makar (20) from MacKinnon (23) and Kerfoot (24)

Nieto (25) from Cole (29) and Johnson (30)

Rantanen (21) from Wilson (28)

Johnson (30) from Cole (29) and Nieto (25)

I write this out to help Jim realize that it's not guys 26-35 that lead teams in the playoffs... Or at the very least it doesn't have to be. The Avs oldest regular is 32 (Soderberg) followed by Brassard (30) and Johnson (30). A whole 3 players at or over 30. That's it. Johnson is about the only guy you'd consider a true core player.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Calgary basically has to go to Rittich at this point, I'd think. He was clearly statistically better than Smith during the regular season, but blah blah blah veteran mentorship blah blah blah. As noted, however, the defensive play for the Flames has been pretty poor. They are getting schooled by MacKinnon. I'd say they need to start making it a lot tougher on some of Colorado's skilled forwards.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I like Kerfoot a lot as a player. Wish we’d been able to nab him as a free agent.

Wonder how Calgary tries to adjust after that game. Trying to recall the last time I saw team give up 50+ shots in regulation. Just a brutal effort vs. A staggeringly impressive effort from the Avs.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Also - even though it would ruin my pool, I’m rooting for Columbus tonight. 1) because of our experience with Tampa this year, but 2) because I love a good upset in the post season. Keeps things fresh and interesting.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Rittich is not the savior Calgary needs (markstrom might be), its not like going from rask to halak.
Rittich might be worse, maybe not. Smith might look like an all star next game, maybe not. Its a toss up.

Calgary has more holes than just goaltending, but thats their most obvious one.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

I write this out to help Jim realize that it's not guys 26-35 that lead teams in the playoffs... Or at the very least it doesn't have to be. The Avs oldest regular is 32 (Soderberg) followed by Brassard (30) and Johnson (30). A whole 3 players at or over 30. That's it. Johnson is about the only guy you'd consider a true core player.
It’s pretty much their franchise player leading the charge. Year 6 for him. Plus the 2 key guys on the top line. Landy in year 8, Rant in year 3.

The core 3 will lead the charge when they are ready to do so. Hopefully it’s sooner rather than later. They will be helped by the supporting cast which needs to be much better than what they had last season.

Jim needs to do flush out the bottom end that isnt doing much. No longer need to just plug the hole.

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

And they're adding a 4th overall pick to the group. AND sat 20 year old Sam Girard to get 20 year old Cale Makar in the lineup.

Reactions: dwarf

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And they're adding a 4th overall pick to the group. AND sat 20 year old Sam Girard to get 20 year old Cale Makar in the lineup.
Look at what Duchene is doing for CBS the guy whom Girard was the 4th pick, along with Bowers was dealt for.

Avs looked to be in the right path in 2014, then they missed in 2015 and due to contract moved ROR. Missed in 2016 and 2017.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

If he can recover from his concussion they would also have Connor Timmins in the system on the blueline. He's apparently made good strides in his recovery and has been practicing in the NHL and AHL all year but still has headaches at times.

Reactions: timw33

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It’s pretty much their franchise player leading the charge. Year 6 for him. Plus the 2 key guys on the top line. Landy in year 8, Rant in year 3.

The core 3 will lead the charge when they are ready to do so. Hopefully it’s sooner rather than later. They will be helped by the supporting cast which needs to be much better than what they had last season.

Jim needs to do flush out the bottom end that isnt doing much. No longer need to just plug the hole.

They are ready to lead the charge. That's the biggest problem with Benning's mismanagement. He spent 5 off seasons crafting the supporting cast for when the young core emerged. They did emerge and the supporting cast was no where to be found. It doesn't give me a lot of hope that Benning is going to be asked to do the very thing he already failed at....

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
If he can recover from his concussion they would also have Connor Timmins in the system on the blueline. He's apparently made good strides in his recovery and has been practicing in the NHL and AHL all year but still has headaches at times.

Pretty frustrating to narrowly miss on Timmins (despite concussion issues) and then pass on Hague in that 2017 2nd round.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They are ready to lead the charge. That's the biggest problem with Benning's mismanagement. He spent 5 off seasons crafting the supporting cast for when the young core emerged. They did emerge and the supporting cast was no where to be found. It doesn't give me a lot of hope that Benning is going to be asked to do the very thing he already failed at....
Not to the level that the Avs big 3 are yet. Pettersson can get to MacKinnons level. Brock is a abetter goal scorer than Rantanen but Rant is a much better playmaker. Brock should have more goals going forward, Mikko more points. Landy and Bo are similar 2 way heat and soul guys. Landy more points due to playing on the top line rather than anchoring a line like Bo.

Avs went into a mini rebuild when they had to ship off ROR and then Duchene whom they nailed in the 2009 draft. It was 10 drafts ago they got them which was supposed to kick start their rebuild. Adding Landy in 2011, but Dealt their 2012 1st for Varly whom Washington then got Forsberg with.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Not to the level that the Avs big 3 are yet. Pettersson can get to MacKinnons level. Brock is a abetter goal scorer than Rantanen but Rant is a much better playmaker. Brock should have more goals going forward, Mikko more points. Landy and Bo are similar 2 way heat and soul guys. Landy more points due to playing on the top line rather than anchoring a line like Bo.

Avs went into a mini rebuild when they had to ship off ROR and then Duchene whom they nailed in the 2009 draft. It was 10 drafts ago they got them which was supposed to kick start their rebuild. Adding Landy in 2011, but Dealt their 2012 1st for Varly whom Washington then got Forsberg with.

Makes it all the more important to have a GM who can actually roster build then....

Timmins is dangerously close to having his career ended.

Passing on hague was dumb

There was a report on him a few weeks ago. He is making significant strides in his recovery. It didn't sound like anyone was talking about an end to his career at this point.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Makes it all the more important to have a GM who can actually roster build then....

There was a report on him a few weeks ago. He is making significant strides in his recovery. It didn't sound like anyone was talking about an end to his career at this point.
Hopefully he can make a full recovery. But you get concerned whenever someone misses that much time.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is Mackinnon the best pure skater in the entire NHL? Better even than McDavid? The speed this guy generates off his edges is frankly the best I've ever seen. When he hits the blueline, he's moving laterally as fast as he's moving forward. Basically unstoppable in this series. And definitely shoots the puck harder than McDavid.

Best player in the NHL right now imo, and it's not really as close as it might seem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad