[serious] Just a story about human decency.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This is gonna be a long story so I understand if I get TL;DR's

We live in a time where it's very easy to lack faith in the human race. We see selfish and horrible acts done on a daily basis. But today I had a definite "faith in humanity restored" moments

The whole family took my brother to his new apartment at UC Irvine for the summer session and following school year to help him move in and then a father's day brunch in Newport Beach before heading home to Vegas. As it turned out there was a string of accidents along the highway that only had two lanes. Traffic was backed up for 40 miles and barely moving. My dad being impatient took a parallel rural road that other, more shrewed drivers were taking. It was a fast speed gain of 20 miles on the highway traffic that wasn't moving. But eventually there were two accidents on this rural road which came to a full stop as well.

My dad took a brave option of taking the next road which was almost entirely dirt and ancient pavement. This worked for another 5 miles before my dad accidentally stuck the car into the softest sand imaginable. This left the car undrivable. We tried digging the sand out from under the car, putting rocks under the wheels, putting it in neutral and pushing it back to the harder dirt. Nothing. With 110 degree heat we had maybe a half hour before the air conditioning would overheat and fail. We tried calling 911 for an assist and they told us that since most of the force was tending to the numerous accidents, it would take as many as three hours to get assistance. We couldn't wait to that long or we'd be burned to a crisp. Our best bet was to get help or try to walk a couple miles in that heat and hope someone would hitch us a ride to the nearest rest area (14 miles away from where we were mind you)..

When things seemed to be most desperate we noticed that some trucks on the nearby rural road and a few who took the same route as us noticed a car was stuck. And like something out of a cheesy movie they came to us to give us a hand (two cars left their place in an unmoving line). And even more lucky, the group of people that came to our aid included at least 7 really well built guys. Guys of all races. African American, Polish, and Mexican came to our aid and we all pushed the car out of the sand and back onto the dirt. Allowing us to find our way back on the road and eventually the highway.

I know it may sound like it's not that impressive or its expected of people to do that for us. But I was really impressed with my fellow man. People of all kinds of backgrounds who could've minded their own business took time out of their day and labored in the heat to bail us out. Again if you didn't read, I understand. But I'm feeling good about people right now in a time when it's very easy to not have any faith in them.

Cochese

Mar 14, 2008
Good story about people being kind and helpful, but why on earth would you call 911 and tie up emergency services for having a car get stuck in sand? Call a tow truck or AAA or whatever roadside assistance most insurance companies have.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
We called AAA first. They said they couldn't come to us until the traffic cleared up because we were so off the main road and other cars had called for service before us

I guess I should've mentioned that.

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson

We live in a time where it's very easy to lack faith in the human race. We see selfish and horrible acts done on a daily basis. But today I had a definite "faith in humanity restored" moments

The whole family took my brother to his new apartment at UC Irvine for the summer session and following school year to help him move in and then a father's day brunch in Newport Beach before heading home to Vegas. As it turned out there was a string of accidents along the highway that only had two lanes. Traffic was backed up for 40 miles and barely moving. My dad being impatient took a parallel rural road that other, more shrewed drivers were taking. It was a fast speed gain of 20 miles on the highway traffic that wasn't moving. But eventually there were two accidents on this rural road which came to a full stop as well.

My dad took a brave option of taking the next road which was almost entirely dirt and ancient pavement. This worked for another 5 miles before my dad accidentally stuck the car into the softest sand imaginable. This left the car undrivable. We tried digging the sand out from under the car, putting rocks under the wheels, putting it in neutral and pushing it back to the harder dirt. Nothing. With 110 degree heat we had maybe a half hour before the air conditioning would overheat and fail. We tried calling 911 for an assist and they told us that since most of the force was tending to the numerous accidents, it would take as many as three hours to get assistance. We couldn't wait to that long or we'd be burned to a crisp. Our best bet was to get help or try to walk a couple miles in that heat and hope someone would hitch us a ride to the nearest rest area (14 miles away from where we were mind you)..

When things seemed to be most desperate we noticed that some trucks on the nearby rural road and a few who took the same route as us noticed a car was stuck. And like something out of a cheesy movie they came to us to give us a hand (two cars left their place in an unmoving line). And even more lucky, the group of people that came to our aid included at least 7 really well built guys. Guys of all races. African American, Polish, and Mexican came to our aid and we all pushed the car out of the sand and back onto the dirt. Allowing us to find our way back on the road and eventually the highway.

I know it may sound like it's not that impressive or its expected of people to do that for us. But I was really impressed with my fellow man. People of all kinds of backgrounds who could've minded their own business took time out of their day and labored in the heat to bail us out. Again if you didn't read, I understand. But I'm feeling good about people right now in a time when it's very easy to not have any faith in them.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I always help people that get stuck in the snow in front of my house.

tumblr_o5a4jrlSlL1udh5n8o1_500.gif

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I always help people that get stuck in the snow in front of my house.

tumblr_o5a4jrlSlL1udh5n8o1_500.gif

I suppose I should've figured stuff like this might be common in a place where snow becomes an issue.

But I live in a part of the country with no snow or mud. And sand isn't usually a problem. We've got a lot more dirt than sand.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

[Reply] [!!]

JA

It's a good thing you ran into the Village People.

Last edited by a moderator:

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

vCash: 69

[serious] Just a story about human decency.

This is gonna be a long story so I understand if I get TL;DR's*

The whole family took my brother to his new apartment at UC Irvine for the summer session and following school year to help him move in and then a father's day brunch in Newport Beach before heading home to Vegas. As it turned out there was a string of accidents along the highway that only had two lanes. Traffic was backed up for 40 miles and barely moving. My dad being impatient took a parallel rural road that other, more shrewed drivers were taking. It was a fast speed gain of 20 miles on the highway traffic that wasn't moving. But eventually there were two accidents on this rural road which came to a full stop as well.*

My dad took a brave option of taking the next road which was almost entirely dirt and ancient pavement. This worked for another 5 miles before my dad accidentally stuck the car into the softest sand imaginable. This left the car undrivable. We tried digging the sand out from under the car, putting rocks under the wheels, putting it in neutral and pushing it back to the harder dirt. Nothing. With 110 degree heat we had maybe a half hour before the air conditioning would overheat and fail. We tried calling 911 for an assist and they told us that since most of the force was tending to the numerous accidents, it would take as many as three hours to get assistance. We couldn't wait to that long or we'd be burned to a crisp. Our best bet was to get help or try to walk a couple miles in that heat and hope someone would hitch us a ride to the nearest rest area (14 miles away from where we were mind you)..*

When things seemed to be most desperate we noticed that some trucks on the nearby rural road and a few who took the same route as us noticed a car was stuck. And like something out of a cheesy movie they came to us to give us a hand (two cars left their place in an unmoving line). And even more lucky, the group of people that came to our aid included at least 7 really well built guys. Guys of all races. African American, Polish, and Mexican came to our aid and we all pushed the car out of the sand and back onto the dirt. Allowing us to find our way back on the road and eventually the highway.*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad