Pre-Game Talk: Series Preview: Your New Jersey Devils vs. Tampa Bay Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I think it will come down to KK standing on his head.

Or if he can keep up the same level of play, I think we will be in good shape.

Vasi has been going downhill but playoffs are a new season

Reactions: OmNomNom

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
The biggest factor is the goaltending. If Keith stays hot and Vasilevskiy keeps struggling, we can do it. Our great PK against their great PP will be huge too.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I believe the Zacha line will be incredible important. And I’m not really awed by their defense, except for the bigSwede. This series will come down to keeping up with Tampa offensively, staying out of the box and goaltending.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexTheDevilsFan

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
I believe the Zacha line will be incredible important. And I’m not really awed by their defense, except for the bid Swede. This series will come down to keeping up with Tamps offensively, staying out of the box and goaltending.
We're going to need depth scoring from our bottom 6 and the Zacha line has picked a good time to get hot. Tampa will probably try and get the Stamkos line out against them as much as possible so they have to be ready to play smart

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I think Jimmy Hayes could be the x factor
i think hayes is totally grateful he got a contract to begin with, and he was primarily brought in as a locker room guy. i mean, the guy's career was basically over with, and then ray threw him free money. objectively, it'd pretty cool - get paid millions to eat and travel with the team, and have a chance at getting your name on the cup

Reactions: theoptimist

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
We're going to need depth scoring from our bottom 6 and the Zacha line has picked a good time to get hot. Tampa will probably try and get the Stamkos line out against them as much as possible so they have to be ready to play smart
I hope Zacha channels his inner Elias this series. He and his line could be our X-factor.

Reactions: OmNomNom

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The biggest factor is the goaltending. If Keith stays hot and Vasilevskiy keeps struggling, we can do it. Our great PK against their great PP will be huge too.
100% Agree. This is the only time of year that the .010 that separates nearly every goalie in the league matters.

But even so, timely saves will always rule out. Scoring first is huge, taking a lead into the 3rd is even bigger.

I think this goalie can be grinded down. I think guys like Wood, Coleman, Zacha, Maroon, Zajac and Palmieri...can cause a lot of havoc in Vasilevsky's crease...hell, even Nico has shown a willingness to go hard to the net. Vasilevsky should be bumped, jabbed at and forced to battle for pucks in the blue paint. I think he will crack after a 65 game regular season.

Reactions: SteveCangialosi123

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
100% Agree. This is the only time of year that the .010 that separates nearly every goalie in the league matters.

But even so, timely saves will always rule out. Scoring first is huge, taking a lead into the 3rd is even bigger.

I think this goalie can be grinded down. I think guys like Wood, Coleman, Zacha, Maroon, Zajac and Palmieri...can cause a lot of havoc in Vasilevsky's crease...hell, even Nico has shown a willingness to go hard to the net. Vasilevsky should be bumped, jabbed at and forced to battle for pucks in the blue paint. I think he will crack after a 65 game regular season.
the deeper kinkaid can get us in the playoffs (if at all), the more in jeopardy schneiders tenure with us is. i hope he's not pulling a hammond hamburglar on us this year, though

hayen

Apr 7, 2017
I think it will come down to KK standing on his head.

Or if he can keep up the same level of play, I think we will be in good shape.

Vasi has been going downhill but playoffs are a new season

KK hasnt given me a reason to believe he wont keep up the standard he has set and Vasilevskiy hasnt been as strong recently but he did step up against us in the last meeting.
Beat them during the regular season so while I understand playoffs are different, I think this Devils team can handle it.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
the deeper kinkaid can get us in the playoffs (if at all), the more in jeopardy schneiders tenure with us is. i hope he's not pulling a hammond hamburglar on us this year, though
I don't know...We aren't supposed to win this series. A 54 win juggernaut playing a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 5 years and has this years 1st overall pick as their top line center?

No pressure here. They have to win, they are supposed to win.

Reactions: glenwo2

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
if there's one thing i am confident about is that this series probably doesn't take less than six games.

and i am so ok with that.

i'm also confident that this might be the most interesting/entertaining series in the first round in either conference, aside from all the people making a huge deal about toronto getting another crack at boston or the pennsylvania matchup in round one (really who ****ing cares?).

watch us.

Reactions: glenwo2

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
It's been a long time coming so pretty amped up for this run. This will be my 15-year-old daughter's first playoffs as a hard-core fan (she doesn't remember much from 2012). She watches every minute of every game (including preseason for heaven's sake!). She has a new Hall jersey on the way. I'm not really sure what to expect from this series. Just hoping for competitive hockey and a long series!

Reactions: OmNomNom and Aethon

HischierSeDgewOrk

May 6, 2007
Monmouth County, NJ
Norris
Detroit, Toronto Chicago Minnesota, St Louis.

And the Smythe Edmonton,Calgary, Winnipeg, Vancouver, LA

The best part was 4 got in the playoffs for each Division with 5 teams...

The Patrick was the only Division with 6 teams.

When I used to tell people I liked hockey they would joke endlessly about every team making the playoffs. And I never got the joke because I always thought that was great.

Edit:. That's also why I take Roy's playoffs totals with a grain of salt. A division with Boston, Montreal, Quebec, Hartford and Buffalo meant Montreal or Boston was going to the conference finals every year.

Truly the good old days.

Reactions: Aethon

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
Question re buying tickets for Game 4 at home. I know section 19 and the section across the way (8 maybe?) have club access with the free food. I was wondering, are these the only sections with that access? On the seatmap, it looks like some portions of the neighboring sections (only certain rows) might also provide access. Can anyone verify which sections provide this before I buy the tickets? Thanks!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm not confident about anything...

I think a playoff run is unpredictable...even for the best teams.

It seems to be a chain reaction in the playoffs, both ways, good or bad...it always seems to be one little play or incident that ignites momentum or collapse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->