Pre-Game Talk: Series Discussion: WC Qualifier - Edmonton Oilers (5) vs. Chicago Blackhawks (12)

Who wins the series?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Any thoughts on how the personal stats from the play-in round might work? Will they be part of regular season stats, playoff stats, or separate stats that will be kept, but basically a one off category? I think the latter.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
No fighting or breathing allowed.

their has been reports that some modifications ate no scrums on face offs for wingers , no spitting out water... it’s not far fetched that they won’t allow fighting if that’s what needs to happen to get these games going

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
their has been reports that some modifications ate no scrums on face offs for wingers , no spitting out water... it’s not far fetched that they won’t allow fighting if that’s what needs to happen to get these games going

I think that was a Rishaug tweet, where he was just spit balling. Didn’t think he was being really serious. Not sure why fighting is worse than a face to face battle in the corner, or even sitting next to your teammate on the bench. I think they will either have daily testing, and resume with normal rules, or won’t play at all.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I think JP should come back if this tournament happens. This isn’t Chia’s team anymore. And fans won’t be able to yell mean things at him during games

Would he even understand them? :). I think most fans would welcome him back if he has the proper attitude.

Black Gold Extractor

May 4, 2010
I think that was a Rishaug tweet, where he was just spit balling. Didn’t think he was being really serious. Not sure why fighting is worse than a face to face battle in the corner, or even sitting next to your teammate on the bench. I think they will either have daily testing, and resume with normal rules, or won’t play at all.

Exactly. An uninfected person fighting an uninfected person isn't going to magically conjure up coronavirus. Consistent testing and tracking is key.

Reactions: Aerchon

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Chicago is a fairly small sized team, I wonder if Tippett will have the Oilers playing “heavy hockey.”

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
What is the fairest solution for the league overall? Seems like a tough question, but extended playoffs seem like the best way to manage all the competing interests.

Top 6 in each conference play a round robin for seeding. Handicap them so the teams that were ahead at the “pause” have better chances of staying there. The next 6 teams play their own round robin, handicapped again, with the top 2 becoming the Wildcard teams.

All teams get a 5 game tuneup that has motivation for them to try and win.
Teams that were ahead in the standings aren’t exposed as much.
Teams that were all but eliminated will have to go on a run and get help to get in.
NHL gets their 24 team “play-in” that includes their golden children MTL & CHI (with an Arizona for good measure).

I don’t see a downside.

Last edited:

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

you are correct, poor hasty comment on my behalf. Nothing reputable to say these are heavily being looked at.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
you are correct, poor hasty comment on my behalf. Nothing reputable to say these are heavily being looked at.
If those modified rules had to be put in to ensure safety anyways, they should just cancel the season.

What is hockey without emotion.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Any thoughts on how the personal stats from the play-in round might work? Will they be part of regular season stats, playoff stats, or separate stats that will be kept, but basically a one off category? I think the latter.
I'd think they will be included in the playoff stats, or else casual fans will be confused about where their favorite player's stats went. It would be annoying for announcers to constantly remind people that the first round of the this tournament is not playoffs. Lol

edit: and I'll point out that playoff stats have always been skewed by the fact that every team plays a different amount of games, and by a lot. So tossing in this play-in round wouldn't be that out of place

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I'd think they will be included in the playoff stats, or else casual fans will be confused about where their favorite player's stats went. It would be annoying for announcers to constantly remind people that the first round of the this tournament is not playoffs. Lol

edit: and I'll point out that playoff stats have always been skewed by the fact that every team plays a different amount of games, and by a lot. So tossing in this play-in round wouldn't be that out of place
I personally think they should just be tossed out. They don't fit in the playoffs stats because its not the playoffs yet, per the league. Doesn't really fit in the regular season either because the regular season is done. If we still had Gagner he would score 40 points in 5 games, and that's a little weird.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

The difference is every team has the chance to play 4 rounds before.

Now it will be different.

Should be thrown out and shouldn't even be up for debate.

Reactions: StupidGenius

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What would you start our lines as? Bolded = Along for the ride. For me:

AA-McDavid-Kassian/Neal
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Ennis-Haas-Neal/Kassian
Nygard-Sheahan-Archibald
Khaira, Chiasson
Benson-McLeod

Nurse-Bear
Klefbom-Green
Jones-Larsson
Russell-Benning
Bouchard

Koskinen
Smith
Starrett/Skinner

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
What would you start our lines as? Bolded = Along for the ride. For me:

AA-McDavid-Kassian/Neal
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Ennis-Haas-Neal/Kassian
Nygard-Sheahan-Archibald
Khaira, Chiasson
Benson-McLeod

Nurse-Bear
Klefbom-Green
Jones-Larsson
Russell-Benning
Bouchard

Koskinen
Smith
Starrett/Skinner
Green is closer to the 5th pairing than the 2nd pairing with how Larsson was playing.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I still think it's an absolute joke that Montreal and Chicago are in this. Their odds to make the playoffs were probably 1% or so. Now they have the same chance as us. A team that was 2nd in the bloody Pacific division. Must be nice to f*** around and finish in 12th so that you can have a "play in" with a team that should have rightfully had a playoff spot to begin with.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Top 6 in each conference play a round robin for seeding. Handicap them so the teams that were ahead at the “pause” have better chances of staying there. The next 6 teams play their own round robin, handicapped again, with the top 2 becoming the Wildcard teams.

What's this handicap going to look like? The details are pretty important for this situation.

The biggest missing detail is how do we determine top 6 in the conference? Points percentage is a pretty crap tie breaker.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think JP should come back if this tournament happens. This isn’t Chia’s team anymore. And fans won’t be able to yell mean things at him during games

This is the worst idea I've heard.

Ever been on a team sport?

A player that abandons a club, essentially tells it to F itself and refuses to play for it would NOT be welcomed back to a playoffs. I would throw up. Probably some of the players would roll their eyes. Any player that felt they were being replaced by this tool would be feeling that.

You go with the soldiers and players that got you there or have been consummate team guys. You never go with the guys that f***ed off.

I'll yell mean things just thinking about it...;)

Reactions: iCanada and Duke74

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What's this handicap going to look like? The details are pretty important for this situation.

The biggest missing detail is how do we determine top 6 in the conference? Points percentage is a pretty crap tie breaker.

2 goal lead. pffft.

Play without rook?

Play without rover?

Mulligans plays?

Handicap? What is this golf? Chess? Pick up hockey? I'm confused. ;)

Reactions: shoop

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
This is the worst idea I've heard.

Ever been on a team sport?

A player that abandons a club, essentially tells it to F itself and refuses to play for it would NOT be welcomed back to a playoffs. I would throw up. Probably some of the players would roll their eyes. Any player that felt they were being replaced by this tool would be feeling that.

You go with the soldiers and players that got you there or have been consummate team guys. You never go with the guys that f***ed off.

I'll yell mean things just thinking about it...;)
He didn’t abandon anyone.

he didn’t have a contract.

how hard is this for people to understand

Reactions: fuswald

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

All teams get a 5 game tuneup that has motivation for them to try and win.
Teams that were ahead in the standings aren’t exposed as much.
Teams that were all but eliminated will have to go on a run and get help to get in.
NHL gets their 24 team “play-in” that includes their golden children MTL & CHI (with an Arizona for good measure).

I don’t see a downside.

Oh, this is a proposal. Just had my coffee..;)

Downsides? Round robin. Handicap.

Just can't see something like this ever occuring and it fails the KISS test. Trouble is if you devise a mousetrap that is too difficult to use or comprehend nobody uses it or buys it. Hockey particularly has the problem of being a sport that for non fans is a bit difficult to catch onto. Adding any complications, levels of rules, just causes casual viewers to turn it off or stay away. Try explaining in a telecast to a new viewer in Texas that Team A, even if they win the game, they lose. Unless say they win by 3 goals or some nonsense like that.

I understand the rationale of creating a handicap or hedge. This works in betting. Generally it isn't what attracts people though to actually viewing pro sports or competition. On the ice it should be the winners winning, in any format. Not some team backing in because they got a sweet margin to work with.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I still think it's an absolute joke that Montreal and Chicago are in this. Their odds to make the playoffs were probably 1% or so. Now they have the same chance as us. A team that was 2nd in the bloody Pacific division. Must be nice to f*** around and finish in 12th so that you can have a "play in" with a team that should have rightfully had a playoff spot to begin with.
Same chance?

Do you think a series vs BOS would be considered the "same chance" as a series vs MTL ?

Oilers have to beat a 12th place team to get into playoffs. MTL has to beat PIT to make it. Same chance?

As for Puljujarvi, he is not signed with Oilers so we cant bring him onto the squad. Even if we could, it would probably piss him off even more watching AA and Ennis getting played ahead of him.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Same chance?

Do you think a series vs BOS would be considered the "same chance" as a series vs MTL ?

Oilers have to beat a 12th place team to get into playoffs. MTL has to beat PIT to make it. Same chance?

Yes we have the same chance as Montreal to make the playoffs
50% chance. Anything can happen, especially with teams not having played since March

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Yes we have the same chance as Montreal to make the playoffs
50% chance. Anything can happen, especially with teams not having played since March
MTL traded away the following around the deadline:
Reilly, Mccaron, Scandella, Kovalchuk, Peca, Nate Thompson to PIT and Cousins.

They have a better chance of winning draft lotto than the cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad