Pre-Game Talk: Series Discussion: WC Qualifier - Edmonton Oilers (5) vs. Chicago Blackhawks (12)

Who wins the series?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
CHI can't scout Oilers with Green on D nor Oilers top 6 with AA or Ennis on it.

Special teams is something they could work on neutralizing.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
CHI can't scout Oilers with Green on D nor Oilers top 6 with AA or Ennis on it.

Special teams is something they could work on neutralizing.

I've said for awhile this long stretch of knowing your opponent is an asset for coaching staff to exploit teams weaknesses or to plan to neutralize their strengths. The good news is that I have more faith in Tippett doing this successfully than Colliton.

Reactions: Samus44

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Blackhawks will have deHaan back, which bolsters their defense. Plus their coaching staff will have had a few months to analyze the Oilers PP. Hopefully Tippett and staff learn the lesson from the Capitals decade of playoffs futility and develop plans B, C, D, and E for PP set-ups. It wasn't until Oshie and Kuznetsov joined the unit to take pressure off go to plays A (Ovechkin one-timer) and B (Green/Carlson shot) that Washington found consistent playoff success with their top-rated regular season PP.

I think the wildcard is what version of Crawford will show up. The playoffs hero of successful seasons past or the guy that tanked (or almost tanked) a few playoffs series and required the Blackhawks to bring in a good back-up? This year they traded away that option in Lehner so all the pressure remains on Crawford.

As has been said by pretty much every breathing hockey analyst in the world at this point, whatever goalie plays better in a short 5-game series, is likely the team that wins. You can over come 1, or maybe even 2, bad games by your goalie in a 7 game series. Over-coming bad goalie games for a 5 game series is a lot more difficult obviously. Basically, Tippet needs to get lucky with whomever he chooses to start, or we have to hope Crawford has a bad game or 2.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
As has been said by pretty much every breathing hockey analyst in the world at this point, whatever goalie plays better in a short 5-game series, is likely the team that wins. You can over come 1, or maybe even 2, bad games by your goalie in a 7 game series. Over-coming bad goalie games for a 5 game series is a lot more difficult obviously. Basically, Tippet needs to get lucky with whomever he chooses to start, or we have to hope Crawford has a bad game or 2.
goalies are often propped up by their defense though. Look at Bobvrosky on Columbus vs Florida.

I like our D better for goalie support.

Reactions: Samus44

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

I don't think it solely amounts to whatever goalie plays better as long as the lesser goalie doesn't stink out the joint. It's very possible for the better goalie in a game to still lose 3-2 or 2-1 if his team is dominated.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Last time Kassian had chops, shit like this went down. I can’t wait to see him run through guys, I love when he’s skating all over and hitting playing a clean but nasty game. He’s an excellent skater as well, which is why he can play well with McDavid.

RIP to those who get in Kassians way.

Even McJesus was dropping guys out there, this hit changed the series:

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

Stauffer has some....opinion...

And Smith over Koskinen. I'm not sure if it's the right call, but it's certainly the one I expect. Tippett has always seemed to trust Smith more than Kosko.

As for defense, I'd prefer Jones - Green over Russell - Benning. Jones was playing some great hockey before the hiatus.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

And Smith over Koskinen. I'm not sure if it's the right call, but it's certainly the one I expect. Tippett has always seemed to trust Smith more than Kosko.

As for defense, I'd prefer Jones - Green over Russell - Benning. Jones was playing some great hockey before the hiatus.

Smith does have more playoff experience as well

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think there's going to be some angry Oiler fans when they see the opening lineup.

Russell over Jones and Smith over Koskinen are near certainties for Game 1 IMO and I would favor Nygard over Athanasiou to start since he was developing some nice chemistry with Sheahan and Archibald before getting injured and plays a strong forechecking game.

Koskinen, Jones and AA riding pine to start will piss some people off but I think it'll likely happen.
Maybe I'm in the minority but I quite liked the Neal-Khaira-Chiasson line the last few games before the pause when everybody else was skating in mud. I assume that line will stick.

Reactions: FlameChampion

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I really want to see RNH stay with Drai and Honey Badger. I also hope AA works his way up with McDavid.

Athanasiou-McDavid-Kassian
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Nygard-Sheahan-Archibald
Neal-Khaira-Chiasson
Ennis-Haas-P. Russell
Benson-Marody-McLeod

Also give me Russell - Green as 3rd pair with Jones - Benning as the 4th pair.

Smith as starting goalie.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I really want to see RNH stay with Drai and Honey Badger. I also hope AA works his way up with McDavid.

Athanasiou-McDavid-Kassian
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Nygard-Sheahan-Archibald
Neal-Khaira-Chiasson
Ennis-Haas-P. Russell
Benson-Marody-McLeod

Also give me Russell - Green as 3rd pair with Jones - Benning as the 4th pair.

Smith as starting goalie.

That's how I would do the forwards as well, although I'd prefer a Jones - Green pairing. Russell's TOI also saw a bit of a drop this year under Tippet. He'll probably start him for a veteran presence in the playoffs, although I won't be surprised if Jones slots in relatively soon.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That's how I would do the forwards as well, although I'd prefer a Jones - Green pairing. Russell's TOI also saw a bit of a drop this year under Tippet. He'll probably start him for a veteran presence in the playoffs, although I won't be surprised if Jones slots in relatively soon.

You would sit Ennis? That's just not going to happen. He was arguably the Oilers best winger outside of RNH and Yamamoto in his time here.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
You would sit Ennis? That's just not going to happen. He was arguably the Oilers best winger outside of RNH and Yamamoto in his time here.

I would rotate him in with Nygard on the 3rd line. The Neal - Khaira - Chiasson line did really well to finish off the season, and I feel like they're built for the playoffs.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I would rotate him in with Nygard on the 3rd line. The Neal - Khaira - Chiasson line did really well to finish off the season, and I feel like they're built for the playoffs.

I just can't see any justification for AA getting a permanent spot over Ennis. AA should be the one rotating with Nygard Or Neal/Chiasson IMO.

Also, Ennis is the type of player who will likely bring it in the playoffs because of his non-stop motor, ability to create turnovers and crash the net mentality.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I prefer a more veteran lineup for game 1, which means starting Smith and his career .938 playoff SP.

Neal-Mcdavid-Kassian
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Ennis-Sheahan-Archibald
AA-Khaira-Chaisson

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Russell-Green

I'd expect Toews line against Mcdavid and Kanes line against Draisaitl.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What didn't Ennis prove to you this year for him to to not have a regular role on the playoff roster?

Last edited:
Reactions: KYams17

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
One thing that hasnt really been talked a lot about it is coaching. I think Tippett should able to outcoach Colliton pretty significantly. 5 game series probably helps Chicago in this regard though.

Reactions: Rodd from Leduc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad