Pre-Game Talk: Series Discussion: WC Qualifier - Edmonton Oilers (5) vs. Chicago Blackhawks (12)

Who wins the series?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Could you imagine if it was anywhere near as high-scoring as the 1985 conference final between these two? LOL those boxscores are just RIDICULOUS

Game 1: Blackhawks 2 Oilers 11
Game 2: Blackhawks 3 Oilers 7
Game 3: Oilers 2 Blackhawks 5
Game 4: Oilers 6 Blackhawks 8
Game 5: Blackhawks 5 Oilers 10
Game 6: Oilers 8 Blackhawks 2

Usually scoring 25 goals should be enough to win a 7-game playoff series but not when the other team scores 44:laugh::laugh:

That was a fun series to watch. Last goal wins.

Reactions: Cloned

TheGhost

Jun 11, 2015
Salmon Arm, BC
Even with a deep run, the odds of him playing 10 games are pretty slim being the 10th defenseman on the depth chart. If he does well enough to jump past four guys and perform well enough to stay in the lineup for 10 games (i.e. at least 2nd probably 3rd round), then who cares, he deserves the earlier payday.

Edit nevermind I’m a moron

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
You know who I completely forgot about and should be all healed up and ready to go for this little shindig against the Hawks?

Mike Green.

Any update on his injury?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You know who I completely forgot about and should be all healed up and ready to go for this little shindig against the Hawks?

Mike Green.

Any update on his injury?
well he was going to be ready in time to play a handful of reg season games so he will be healed for sure.

A lot are discounting him based on our depth, which is fair. But I feel like he could be a good veteran for us. Holland got him for a reason.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
This series could go either way I guess. We should win, but things are so strange with restart and preparation for playoffs. How is everything gonna work ? How can we all focus on playoffs and hockey ? Being isolated as teams. You could literally kill someone with body contact !!!

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This series could go either way I guess. We should win, but things are so strange with restart and preparation for playoffs. How is everything gonna work ? How can we all focus on playoffs and hockey ? Being isolated as teams. You could literally kill someone with body contact !!!
more spice for the sauce

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
What's going on Edmonton fans?! No discussion about this series in quite a number of days.
Is it summer distractions or low interest in this particular series?
These are weird times to say the least but this series does have some promise to entertain!
Just McD, Drai, Toews and Kane are enough of a draw to fill the seats so to speak.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
What's going on Edmonton fans?! No discussion about this series in quite a number of days.
These are weird times to say the least but this series does have some promise to entertain!
Just McD, Drai, Toews and Kane are enough of a draw to fill the seats so to speak.
I think mostly the uncertainty with the actual series dates and such, combined with some decent weather.

Reactions: crazyhawk

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

You must live in a place where Covid-19 doesn't exist and we can go to a game of hockey. I'm jealous.

Reactions: crazyhawk

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
You must live in a place where Covid-19 doesn't exist and we can go to a game of hockey. I'm jealous.
I was using that phrase metaphorically :DD as in there should be plenty of TV watching for that series!
In other news you got two into the Hall and well as Hawk fans we were certainly cheering on Hoss for 1st ballot!
Look forward to hockey potentially happening again and this series in particular. It's been quite a while since these teams have met .. even though this isn't technically the PO'S.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Good weather + more uncertainty as to whether this is actually going to happen.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
My care about hockey is kind of drying up

The level of hockey in these playoffs will probably be relatively low. This round will probably be close to end of preseason games which are just a mess. We probably won't get quality hockey till the conference finals sadly.

Reactions: Aerchon

duul

Jun 21, 2010

The level of hockey in these playoffs will probably be relatively low. This round will probably be close to end of preseason games which are just a mess. We probably won't get quality hockey till the conference finals sadly.
You think that these playoff, elimination games will be similar to preseason games where guys are simply trying not to get hurt? You trolling bro?

Reactions: AM

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You think that these playoff, elimination games will be similar to preseason games where guys are simply trying not to get hurt? You trolling bro?
I mean the level of hockey you get with 2 weeks of training camp and months of not really being able to work out and practice won't be very high. They will play harder sure but the on ice product will be shit. The ice itself will be shit. Players playing in a weird playoffs, on shit ice with a few weeks of practice in emotionless quiet stadiums. You think the level of play will be high?

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I mean the level of hockey you get with 2 weeks of training camp and months of not really being able to work out and practice won't be very high. They will play harder sure but the on ice product will be shit. The ice itself will be shit. Players playing in a weird playoffs, on shit ice with a few weeks of practice in emotionless quiet stadiums. You think the level of play will be high?
I think it will be higher than when teams usually enter the playoffs with injuries and exhaustion.

These guys have been staying in game shape, and after a couple weeks of hard training camp, they will be ready to go for elimination games. It's the playoffs man, they have a completely different mindset. It's all or nothing vs easing into a long arduous grind of a season.

I also can't imagine the ice being 'shit' compared to usual.

Give the boys their 2-3 week training camp, not to mention a lot of them are already training on-ice in groups. It'll end up being a whole month of on ice preparation, knowing this is a shot at going after the cup. It will be intense hockey.

Reactions: fresh meat

qannon97979

May 21, 2020
B

I don't know man, i get more excited as each day passes. You should try to cheer up and smile a bit , Alberta is far luckier than the states. Also, what makes you think the hockey won't be exciting ? Preseason games are tune up games. Players mentally do not get up for those games because they realize there is a grueling 82 game schedule coming up and they should go full tilt when that starts. THE STANLEY CUP is on the line for this tournament, i am sure they will be amped up to play. You are not an NHL player lol there is a reason why they are the best of the best in their sport.The competitive desire is what makes a professional athlete that much better than your average athlete. I think this tournament will be fantastic.

Reactions: fresh meat

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think it will be higher than when teams usually enter the playoffs with injuries and exhaustion.

These guys have been staying in game shape, and after a couple weeks of hard training camp, they will be ready to go for elimination games. It's the playoffs man, they have a completely different mindset. It's all or nothing vs easing into a long arduous grind of a season.

Give the boys their 2-3 week training camp, not to mention a lot of them are already training on-ice in groups. It'll end up being a whole month of on ice preparation, knowing this is a shot at going after the cup. It will be intense hockey.
Most of these guys have been locked inside like the most of us. We are going to get early season hockey at best for a while.

I still think they should just cancel the playoffs. It's a sham format, that's going to be low quality

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Yeah no way man. This playoffs is going to be crazy sloppy for the first bit if it even happens.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yeah no way man. This playoffs is going to be crazy sloppy for the first bit if it even happens.
I think sloppy hockey favors us. The only way to contain McDavid is with tight systems. Our D natually spends more time hanging back and being conservative, which is a style that suits sloppy play too

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think sloppy hockey favors us. The only way to contain McDavid is with tight systems. Our D natually spends more time hanging back and being conservative, which is a style that suits sloppy play too
We tend to get shit on during sloppy hockey

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don’t disagree at all.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

The playoffs will be lower quality but I think it will be slightly better than pre/early season. Playoff excitement will ramp it up. I hope injuries are not an issue. Zero to Stanley Cup in a month or two will certainly claim a victim or two.

I think the Oilers in theroy are better suited to this short sloppy format. Unfortunately so might the Hawks.

Lower quality or not I'll be looking forward to it.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

I'm not going to lie, I'm a little frightened of the Hawks well-rested experience.

It should be a very good series.

... and happy to be debating with true hockey fans. May the Oilers team win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->