Pre-Game Talk: Series Discussion: WC Qualifier - Edmonton Oilers (5) vs. Chicago Blackhawks (12)

Who wins the series?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
My question is, how quick do we make adjustments. 5 game series. This is like baseball territory. If we struggle bad in game do we make adjustments in game 2. Especially with goaltending. Generally in a 7 game series, you can give it a couple games. 5 game series.... you almost have to make adjustments after the first game.

Yeah that's a tough call but I don't think Tippett will be afraid to make adjustments. Hopefully whoever is in net to start is dialed in and it doesn't become an issue. I'm curious to see if the lack of fans makes it easier on the goalies or not.

Reactions: tardigrade81

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah his first bunch of games this year were pretty weak but he got better and better as the season went on.
Especially on his left side, by the end he was legit dangerous in the o-zone. I wouldn't be shocked if he can produce 20-25 points a year at evens eventually and that's a really good number. Personally I think he's clearly our 5th best dman and he's giving Larsson a run for his money by next season, although Larsson brings a more unique element to the team. Given what he's shown and the fact Jones has done nothing but exceed at every level IMO with his skillset and smarts I see no reason to expect anything different at the NHL level. He reminds me a bit of Jeff Petry tbh, shots not as good but vision is better. Petry has developed an edge in Montreal and hopefully Jones will too but even without it I think his potential is rather high, too many tools and no signs of poor hockey sense to make me doubt him.

Reactions: yukoner88

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Jones is going to have a quality career and to me is very likely to be a strong 2nd pairing guy for years. He does everything well and is a terrific skater, i have no idea what games you're watching.
This I can buy. Penciling him into top 4 in the first game of play-ins I don't.

Jones is a #6 right now and would/should not be playing much more than 16mins per night right now . Next year he can try to solidify himself as NHL regular ie more proven than Benning and then work towards becoming #4 down the road.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Bear was only a write off to people who weren’t paying attention. He had an injury early and a slow start. He was the best D man in Bakersfield by the end of the year including jones.
Bullshit, that’s 20/20 other than true optimists no one had him in the line up

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Bullshit, that’s 20/20 other than true optimists no one had him in the line up
I had him in the mix with Persson, Jones and Bouchard for that last spot. A few others did also. Bear had the best points per game among D men in Bakersfield in the regular season and playoffs. He ended the year hot and obviously had a huge offseason. No one predicted he would be a top 4 d his rookie session but if you were paying close attention to the way the season unfolded in Bakersfield you would see he was right there with jones even last year.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I had him in the mix with Persson, Jones and Bouchard for that last spot. A few others did also. Bear had the best points per game among D men in Bakersfield in the regular season and playoffs. He ended the year hot and obviously had a huge offseason. No one predicted he would be a top 4 d his rookie session but if you were paying close attention to the way the season unfolded in Bakersfield you would see he was right there with jones even last year.
He was with the oilers for the end of the season, so I’m pretty sure the organization had inklings of his potential.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Wings fan sharing. Hoping EDM sweeps CHI. I wanna see AA & Green contribute on PP2 especially, hoping they're healthy & find chemistry amongst the team. Should be a good series, EDM in 5.

Also, if anyone can find it, during the 18-19 or 19-20 preseason (can't remember which, but I think it was 19-20), AA skated circles around Duncan Keith who was literally standing still near the CHI blueline...AA made him spin around 2X, then Keith fell. Keith skated 720 degrees in the same spot, then fell, I believe AA scored or setup/had a good chance after. Either way it was one of the funniest/best hockey plays ever. I wanna say AA even stole the puck from Keith to begin with iirc. It was like watching a UFO land, you just don't see that sorta thing. If you find it, please message me, I gotta see it again, thanks & good luck!!

upload_2020-6-12_20-5-37.png

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Wings fan sharing. Hoping EDM sweeps CHI. I wanna see AA & Green contribute on PP2 especially, hoping they're healthy & find chemistry amongst the team. Should be a good series, EDM in 5.

Also, if anyone can find it, during the 18-19 or 19-20 preseason (can't remember which, but I think it was 19-20), AA skated circles around Duncan Keith who was literally standing still near the CHI blueline...AA made him spin around 2X, then Keith fell. Keith skated 720 degrees in the same spot, then fell, I believe AA scored or setup/had a good chance after. Either way it was one of the funniest/best hockey plays ever. I wanna say AA even stole the puck from Keith to begin with iirc. It was like watching a UFO land, you just don't see that sorta thing. If you find it, please message me, I gotta see it again, thanks & good luck!!

View attachment 349834
They could be on PP2, but honestly, our first unit gets almost all the play time

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
AA better produce this playoffs or we are demanding a refund #giveusbackthe2nds

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
They could be on PP2, but honestly, our first unit gets almost all the play time
Yep, I'm aware. AA should be great for zone entries @ full speed. He should get 2-3 breakaways a game. I'd like to see Mike Green rebound now that he's on a better squad & had some rest/healing time. I hope he gets a 1-2yr. contract somewhere.

Last edited:

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Very true. I saw him mentioned in nearly every trade list at the time.

Bingo. I always liked him but i worried his skating and Bouchard would keep him from becoming a big piece. I'm sure glad he was never a throw in. It's always important to know the organization knows things we don't, they probably knew he had another gear that could come with conditioning and so they didn't sell low with the hope he figured out the conditioning part out. Bear has big upside IMO as his only real flaw was skating and given his excellent edge work gaining that step has all but eliminated that flaw. Reminds me of Keith with slightly worse speed but a better shot. Crazy the difference a year makes.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
This time last year Bear and Persson we’re competing for 7. Benning and Russell sucked at 4 and larsson got hurt so Bear when to 4 and Persson dropped. Later Jones came up and did well in Klefs spot and settled in bottom pair. I hope they move Benning and let Russell and Green fight for 3RD paired with Jones. Lagesson can also be moved and Bouchard can wait for injuries. Pulj,Benning and Lagesson for a 3C

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
If we were to play Bouchard in these games now and Oilers were to make a deep run, is this going to still burn off a year of his contract or will it still slide since AHL season was cancelled?

King K Rool

Big Bad
Mar 5, 2020
Edmonton

Could you imagine if it was anywhere near as high-scoring as the 1985 conference final between these two? LOL those boxscores are just RIDICULOUS

Game 1: Blackhawks 2 Oilers 11
Game 2: Blackhawks 3 Oilers 7
Game 3: Oilers 2 Blackhawks 5
Game 4: Oilers 6 Blackhawks 8
Game 5: Blackhawks 5 Oilers 10
Game 6: Oilers 8 Blackhawks 2

Usually scoring 25 goals should be enough to win a 7-game playoff series but not when the other team scores 44:laugh::laugh:

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

King K Rool

Big Bad
Mar 5, 2020
Edmonton
I thought Montreal did this with Subban in 2010 as well? It's an interesting topic so I looked it up, found this article:
Burning the First Year of a Rookie’s Entry Level Contract

If a team’s window to compete for the Stanley Cup is now or in the immediate future, the best bet is to burn the first year of a rookie’s entry level contract. First, the rookie is available for this year’s postseason run and may be able to make an immediate impact to the team. Second, a smaller sample size at the NHL level gives management an advantage in negotiating the player’s second contract, whether they decide on a bridge deal or a longer contract. Getting additional value out of a player’s first few contract is crucial to maintaining and even extending a team’s window to compete for the Cup.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
If we were to play Bouchard in these games now and Oilers were to make a deep run, is this going to still burn off a year of his contract or will it still slide since AHL season was cancelled?

Even with a deep run, the odds of him playing 10 games are pretty slim being the 10th defenseman on the depth chart. If he does well enough to jump past four guys and perform well enough to stay in the lineup for 10 games (i.e. at least 2nd probably 3rd round), then who cares, he deserves the earlier payday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->