Pre-Game Talk: Series Discussion: WC Qualifier - Edmonton Oilers (5) vs. Chicago Blackhawks (12)

Who wins the series?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I hope so badly that the guys view this as a slap in the face and insult to them.

They went from home advantage in round 1 to being in a “play in” series.

People that are truly great would take that as an insult and want to come out in a competitive rage to destroy their opponent. Not just beat them, but completely want to destroy them.

As I’ve gotten older in life, the more I’ve learned that people who are so competitive that they can’t stand the internal embarrassment of failing are those who succeed. It’s why a guy like Yamamoto proves that premise in sport, our Honey Badger is willing to fight and compete for every single puck. The smallest guy on the ice for both teams is frequently the best forechecker for either team. Go figure that out.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
We should get their draft position if that happens.

I like our chances 3 out of 5 instead of a best of 3. Kane can steal a game or two by himself, but over a 5 game series we should win it.
Is it going to be best of 5? I thought they were leaning towards 3 which I was pissed about because there’s so little room for error there. One bad game from Smith and one game of vintage Kane and you’re done, 71 games that they used to put themselves in this position all for nothing. But if it’s 5 games I’d be a lot more ok with, gives a fairer result.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I dont mind the Hawks. Oilers have typically played well against Chicago and they are definitely not the elite Hawks of old anymore. Better them than facing a defensive team like Arizona or Minnesota.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Do people forget we have McDavid and Draisaitl? If those two can't outplay Kane and Toews than we have bigger problems. Our depth is significantly stronger than theirs. My only worry would be our goaltending after this long stretch.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Really unfortunate the Oilers didn't get Dallas' bye.

Chicago is scary to me, but I'm glad hockey is coming back . I'm gonna be soooo rattled if the Oilers don't make the playoffs though

Reactions: Mav3rick07

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Yea, if we can't beat Chicago, we weren't going anywhere anyway.

Going to be an exciting series. They aren't that physical and play a similar brand of hockey to us. Perfect warm up. I wonder if Bouchard will get a game in. I wonder if Green is healthy and ready to go. I think Bouchard hanging around with Mike Green every day will be incredible.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I hope so badly that the guys view this as a slap in the face and insult to them.

They went from home advantage in round 1 to being in a “play in” series.

People that are truly great would take that as an insult and want to come out in a competitive rage to destroy their opponent. Not just beat them, but completely want to destroy them.

As I’ve gotten older in life, the more I’ve learned that people who are so competitive that they can’t stand the internal embarrassment of failing are those who succeed. It’s why a guy like Yamamoto proves that premise in sport, our Honey Badger is willing to fight and compete for every single puck. The smallest guy on the ice for both teams is frequently the best forechecker for either team. Go figure that out.

Pretty much the premise of The Last Dance doc that just aired. MJ took every slight, big or small, and used it as motivation, and dragged his teammates with him. Hopefully one or more of our leaders are wired that way.

Reactions: ujju2 and snipes

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Is it going to be best of 5? I thought they were leaning towards 3 which I was pissed about because there’s so little room for error there. One bad game from Smith and one game of vintage Kane and you’re done, 71 games that they used to put themselves in this position all for nothing. But if it’s 5 games I’d be a lot more ok with, gives a fairer result.

Best of five is the current proposal for the play-in games.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

My understanding is it’s a best of 5.

Can anyone else confirm? I thought the best of 3 got rejected in favour of a best of 5. I could be wrong though, so something confirming that would be awesome. I’m on mobile ATM.

Edit: looks like @bellagiobob has similar info.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Chicago worries me a little bit if they have the chance to get healthy. A healthy D unit could be something like...

Keith - Murphy
De Haan - Mitchell
Maatta - Boqvist

Not a lot of high end skill there quite yet, but there's two quality prospects and four established veteran D there. They won't be a cakewalk.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
My understanding is it’s a best of 5.

Can anyone else confirm? I thought the best of 3 got rejected in favour of a best of 5. I could be wrong though, so something confirming that would be awesome. I’m on mobile ATM.

Edit: looks like @bellagiobob has similar info.

"Series best-of-five in the “play-in,” and best-of-seven after."

Could change, but that's the latest. Talk of possibly making the 1st round of playoffs best of five as well.

Reactions: snipes

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I know it will be discussed ad nauseam, is it fair that we have to play "play-in games". My take it might be better to get going vs. a 12th ranked Hawks instead of goin in to the playoffs cold and rusty.

If we don't beat 'em we don't have any place in the playoffs.

But is it fair? No!

Other than that, what is our statline vs the Hawks this season?

Not worth a shit.
1-2-0, 7 GF-10 GA.

Crawford lifetime is 11-7-0 against the Oilers with a .911 save percentage and 2.47 GAA.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
In a 5 game series, if Kane gets hot and the calls go Chicago's way (okay WHEN the calls go Chicago's way) the Hawks are a scary team. This could easily go belly up for the Oilers.

the should be *some* benefit to a team like Edmonton, who finished 11 points and 8 regulation wins up on Chicago. In a normal series, that would be home ice advantage.

I saw someone on twitter suggest that Pit and EDM should start their series up 1-0. That's reasonable.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yea, if we can't beat Chicago, we weren't going anywhere anyway.

Going to be an exciting series. They aren't that physical and play a similar brand of hockey to us. Perfect warm up. I wonder if Bouchard will get a game in. I wonder if Green is healthy and ready to go. I think Bouchard hanging around with Mike Green every day will be incredible.

I was listening to Gregor and Strudwick yesterday and they were both pretty adamant that Russell should start the series instead of Caleb Jones.

I have to admit, I'd be pretty irritated if that was the case.

I'd like to see something like the following at even strength:

Ennis-McDavid-Kassian
RNH-Drai-Yamamoto
AA-Sheahan-Archibald
Neal-Haas-Chiasson

I'd have Khaira , Nygard, P Russell and the other black aces as the extra forwards for Game 1. Khaira's only real value right now is on the PK and the number of calls really bottom out in the playoffs.

Klef-Lars
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Green
Russell-Benning

Last edited:
Reactions: Kolja

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I was listening to Gregor and Strudwick yesterday and they were both pretty adamant that Russell should start the series instead of Caleb Jones.

I have to admit, I'd be pretty irritated if that was the case.

Klef-Lars
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Green
Russell-Benning
I wouldn't be. The year we went to the Cup final, we were one of the top shot blocking teams in the league. The year we lost to Anaheim in 7, Russell and Sekera were playing 21 minutes a night.

I love the idea of making the young guys earn their ice time.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Chicago worries me a little bit if they have the chance to get healthy. A healthy D unit could be something like...

Keith - Murphy
De Haan - Mitchell
Maatta - Boqvist

Not a lot of high end skill there quite yet, but there's two quality prospects and four established veteran D there. They won't be a cakewalk.

Nothing about that defence scares me even when healthy.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I wouldn't be. The year we went to the Cup final, we were one of the top shot blocking teams in the league. The year we lost to Anaheim in 7, Russell and Sekera were playing 21 minutes a night.

I love the idea of making the young guys earn their ice time.

I don't really see the relevance, the year we lost to Anaheim was a long time ago now. Everyone needs to earn their ice time, not just the young guys. Russell hasn't done that with his play this season.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not really a huge fan of this format.

For one I think any team that wins a Stanley Cup should have to win 4 rounds to do so, this allows team to only play 3 and win.

Best of 5 first round will be a gong show no matter what, the players will be out of shape and not having had played an actual game in like 4 months, the 1st game is almost like a write off.

But whatever it is probably what it is. I think teams that had like a 5-10% chance of getting into the playoffs should have to win 4 games in that first round to advance, not just 3.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't really see the relevance, the year we lost to Anaheim was a long time ago now. Everyone needs to earn their ice time, not just the young guys. Russell hasn't done that with his play this season.
If Russell played poorly this season, I'd be more inclined to agree. But Russell's game is more suited for a playoff atmosphere. I think he adds more to the PK and he's the better guy in his own zone at this point.

Hopefully Green is the guy on the other side though. I'd really like his breakout ability on that bottom pair. Not to mention the boost he'd give our second PP unit.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

For one I think any team that wins a Stanley Cup should have to win 4 rounds to do so, this allows team to only play 3 and win.

Best of 5 first round will be a gong show no matter what, the players will be out of shape and not having had played an actual game in like 4 months, the 1st game is almost like a write off.

But whatever it is probably what it is. I think teams that had like a 5-10% chance of getting into the playoffs should have to win 4 games in that first round to advance, not just 3.

Not sure I follow. Still need to win four playoff rounds to win the SC. If anything, it's harder this year for some teams, as teams in the play-in would need to win 5 series to win the SC.

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
Why didn't Oilers get the 4th bye? Is it cause Dallas higher point per game %? Too bad we couldn't get that last game win vs wpg lol.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

No, with this format teams will have to win 4 or 5 playoff series.

Reactions: fresh meat

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Really unfortunate the Oilers didn't get Dallas' bye.

Chicago is scary to me, but I'm glad hockey is coming back . I'm gonna be soooo rattled if the Oilers don't make the playoffs though
Meh, I would rather play DAL after beating CHI in a hard fought series than play DAL team that is coming off a win vs CHI and us playing exhibition games vs STL and VGK

Reactions: ujju2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad