Pre-Game Talk: Series Discussion: WC Qualifier - Edmonton Oilers (5) vs. Chicago Blackhawks (12)

Who wins the series?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Tippet ratcheted Russell's icetime down by 20% this year and played him over 18 minutes exactly twice in 2019. Over the same stretch he played Jones over 18 minutes six times.

I really don't think it's that cut and dried.

I think the only thing that might keep Russell in over Jones is that he trusts him more on the PK. Russell was number 2 in PK minutes before the pause. Surprisingly Larsson was 5th so perhaps he can bump up his time, but Jones had virtually no time, and Benning had minimal. Green also played about 2 minutes over his two games but was lit up shot wise and had a goal against.

All that said, Russell's GA/60 was the worst of the bunch except Green, and surprising, Russel's PK corsi was 2nd best of the bunch (behind Larsson) which is extremely confusing knowing the type of defender he is even strength.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Jones and Russell might be a saw-off defensively, but Jones is a massive upgrade on Russell from a puckmoving and offense standpoint.
Makes sense. Does it take into consider QoC?

I'd like to see the same chart with Jones compared to Nurse/Bear/Klef/Lars if possible. Where do I find that? Cheers.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Russell would definitely get the nod over Jones imo. Adding young players will happen if things start rough for us.

I'm not sure about Green. Tippett might want him for playoff experience and offense but I think he goes with Benning to keep our shutdown pair the same

Reactions: tardigrade81

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Not explicitly, but it tracks TOI% vs Elite and QOT.

Tableau Public
Thanks a lot. Seems as though Caleb Jones has better advanced stats than Klefbom, Larsson, Russell, Benning, Green, etc. Only Nurse and Bear seem to trump him, and both of them have pretty impressive fancy stats.

I don't see how the hell you keep Jones out of the lineup going into the playoffs. I really hope they find a way to keep Jones in there because he looked like he was better than both Nurse and Klefbom on the left side at passing the puck out of our own zone which is critical.

I hope Tippett does stick by his word in re-evaluating everyone in this coming training camp to give the kid a fair shot at moving up the lineup. I would be very bothered if Kris Russell is out there again.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Thanks a lot. Seems as though Caleb Jones has better advanced stats than Klefbom, Larsson, Russell, Benning, Green, etc. Only Nurse and Bear seem to trump him, and both of them have pretty impressive fancy stats.

I don't see how the hell you keep Jones out of the lineup going into the playoffs. I really hope they find a way to keep Jones in there because he looked like he was better than both Nurse and Klefbom on the left side at passing the puck out of our own zone which is critical.

I hope Tippett does stick by his word in re-evaluating everyone in this coming training camp to give the kid a fair shot at moving up the lineup. I would be very bothered if Kris Russell is out there again.

IMO, don't overthink this lineup, and go with your best 6 D.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Green

Russell and Benning out for game 1.

Chicago is a strong attacking team but they're horribly weak defensively. The goal needs to be to get the puck back as quickly as possible and transition it out of the zone. Russell, for lack of a better phrase, gets his head kicked in defensively and doesn't help offensively.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I wish there was a resource that would easily compare Jones' time spent on the left side vs. right side.

If he's good on the right, I think that right spot on the third pairing would be his most likely way to get into the line up.

Tipp loves Russell and I think there is some value in a third pairing guy who can take the lion's share of PK time.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I wish there was a resource that would easily compare Jones' time spent on the left side vs. right side.

If he's good on the right, I think that right spot on the third pairing would be his most likely way to get into the line up.

Tipp loves Russell and I think there is some value in a third pairing guy who can take the lion's share of PK time.
Are you talking about the NHL? Did Jones play RD for Oilers at all this season?

I think Russell gets the first couple games in playoffs due to experience but Jones gets the nod afterwards if Russell falters.

Right side would be between Green, Benning and Bouchard (long shot)

Top 4 stays as they should unless injuries occur. And no Jones should not be part of it.

Edit: re Tip loving Russell part, we still don't know why Russell did not play the very last game vs Jets. If he was a healthy scratch it would be the only time Jones would have gotten the nod ahead of him.

Reactions: Mr Positive

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Are you talking about the NHL? Did Jones play RD for Oilers at all this season?

I think Russell gets the first couple games in playoffs due to experience but Jones gets the nod afterwards if Russell falters.

Right side would be between Green, Benning and Bouchard (long shot)

Top 4 stays as they should unless injuries occur. And no Jones should not be part of it.

Edit: re Tip loving Russell part, we still don't know why Russell did not play the very last game vs Jets. If he was a healthy scratch it would be the only time Jones would have gotten the nod ahead of him.

He played some time on the right side with Klefbom. Can't remember if he played any time with Russell on the right.

I just think his most likely way into the lineup is if Green isn't 100% since Jones+Russell is a no-brainer over Benning.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Re Benning vs Jones, one factor to consider for these playoffs is the nationality. Jones may need to sit out in quarantine for a bit whenever he returns to Canada while Benning is already on the ice at Rogers.

Jones having to to beat out Russell may be easier than beating out Benning, Bouchard and Green playing his off-site.

If Russell was indeed a healthy scratch vs Jets then it may be a toss up between him and Jones for 3LD

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Russell would definitely get the nod over Jones imo. Adding young players will happen if things start rough for us.

I'm not sure about Green. Tippett might want him for playoff experience and offense but I think he goes with Benning to keep our shutdown pair the same
Might even just take a game in the first series. Being that the first series is best of 5 if I am not mistake. I don’t think it will take long to make a switch. That goes for goaltending too.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
This isn't be all end all, but if we're talking warts, Russell is covered in them. Jones has a few, sure, but Russell is 90% wart at this point.

View attachment 349504
Russell plays tough minutes in a pure defensive role and is virtually a break even player at even strength same as he’s been his whole career. I don’t care about the rest of the statistical noise. Russell has always had awful advanced stats but the actual results don’t match up.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Russell plays tough minutes in a pure defensive role and is virtually a break even player at even strength same as he’s been his whole career. I don’t care about the rest of the statistical noise. Russell has always had awful advanced stats but the actual results don’t match up.

If you look at the % of icetime vs elites, Russell is only playing slightly tougher minutes than Jones is.

I get the PK argument, but i'm not sold that's enoguh to justify a place in the lineup.

Reactions: bone

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If you look at the % of icetime vs elites, Russell is only playing slightly tougher minutes than Jones is.

I get the PK argument, but i'm not sold that's enoguh to justify a place in the lineup.
Agreed, Russell has been regressing year to year.

I think a 3rd pairing of Jones - Green or Jones - Benning gives us a better chance to win.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Agreed, Russell has been regressing year to year.

I think a 3rd pairing of Jones - Green or Jones - Benning gives us a better chance to win.
If you look at the % of icetime vs elites, Russell is only playing slightly tougher minutes than Jones is. So if Russell is the lesser option, but a good PKer, I don't like keeping him. He'll get the chance to prove himself at even strength I believe

I'd add to that, that we do not have any #1 Dmen, however we have pairings 2 pairings that can play up to that level if they are kept fresher. The way to do that is to have a strong 5-on-5 third pairing.

I like the idea of a Jones-Green pairing. Maybe part of that is that I want to see more of Green though. Benning as a more defensive option may be better

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
It's kind of disappointing there is no crowds in these playoffs. I think we have some real bangers, and especially against a team like the Hawks that we ought to be able to bully, I think it makes it harder for these hits to really sway momentum as much as normal when Kass laying a guy out doesn't result in the building roof coming off. Obviously it's still a huge thing, just the the crowd is a marked amplifier, imo.

Reactions: Skar

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
IMO, don't overthink this lineup, and go with your best 6 D.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Green

Russell and Benning out for game 1.

Chicago is a strong attacking team but they're horribly weak defensively. The goal needs to be to get the puck back as quickly as possible and transition it out of the zone. Russell, for lack of a better phrase, gets his head kicked in defensively and doesn't help offensively.

This is the pairings I like most. Chicago has s a fast team, so having some additional speed in Jones over Russell seems prudent to me.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Edmonton in 5.

Their no.1 enemy in this series is themselves, the way they deploy lines and ride the goalies.

On pure talent, even with the 5v5 gap and good CHI PK and Crawford playing lights out, Oilers should take this no problem...but my bet is there'll be some bonus quarantine rust problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad