Pre-Game Talk: Series Discussion: WC Qualifier - Edmonton Oilers (5) vs. Chicago Blackhawks (12)

Who wins the series?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
The "nice" thing about this is that should we beat Chicago, we go into Dallas immediately after. We somehow ended up away from the rest of the Pacific, which is a far easier path than the Central.

LeBrun's latest makes it sound like the bracket-idea isn't set in stone. That only makes sense if we lock West and East in two separate hubs (to re-seed). Dallas has the commitment to defense since Bowness took over, I don't think that's a stellar matchup for us.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

LeBrun's latest makes it sound like the bracket-idea isn't set in stone. That only makes sense if we lock West and East in two separate hubs (to re-seed). Dallas has the commitment to defense since Bowness took over, I don't think that's a stellar matchup for us.

I like the potential reseeding possibility after the 1st round of play ins.

I agree, Dallas and their defensive schemes aren’t a good matchup for us.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Where is Supergirl? Follow up question, has the restraining order she has against @Cloned expired?

Ass Eatn Szn is back boys!
Right here, cheering on the Oilers.

upload_2020-3-16_17-19-35-png.336517

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
still hate the format....24 teams is B.S but it is what it is

Oilers should beat the Hawks 3 out of 5 but you gotta think they've got a new lease on life, with nothing to lose...they'll be playing loose, which is a scary thought

I wonder about draft pick compensation..should the Oilers lose against the Hawks, there should be NO WAY we have to draft 22nd

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
I’d rather face Chicago who shouldn’t be there than meeting Dallas first. We have limited experience and their vets will be tough if we’re not up to speed after long layoff

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
still hate the format....24 teams is B.S but it is what it is

Oilers should beat the Hawks 3 out of 5 but you gotta think they've got a new lease on life, with nothing to lose...they'll be playing loose, which is a scary thought

I wonder about draft pick compensation..should the Oilers lose against the Hawks, there should be NO WAY we have to draft 22nd

We should get their draft position if that happens.

I like our chances 3 out of 5 instead of a best of 3. Kane can steal a game or two by himself, but over a 5 game series we should win it.

Reactions: OilersaretheMcBest

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
During re-season training camp, how awesome would it be for Bear & Yamamoto to walk in to the dressing room and see new jersey numbers hanging in their stalls. #24 and #71 perhaps?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's pretty dumb that Edmonton (93% chance of making the playoffs) and Pittsburgh (92% chance) have to play teams that were clearly out of the running to make it into the playoffs.

Regardless, I'm just pumped that hockey's going to be back.

Not to be a party pooper but this doesn't mean that hockey is back. They agreed to a format just in case they do play but the health hurdles still remain.
It's a step in the right direction and it seems likely that hockey will return but this could still go sideways.
Typical @Cloned jinx thread if they don't wind up playing :(

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
During re-season training camp, how awesome would it be for Bear & Yamamoto to walk in to the dressing room and see new jersey numbers hanging in their stalls. #24 and #71 perhaps?
Wat. Do they want new numbers?

While I am livid about the 5 round playoff format they have us in, everyone worried about the taxi cab assailant p.kane forget we have Connor McDavid who has been cooped up for 2.5 months. Our chances, as they should be, are good.

Reactions: nally

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not to be a party pooper but this doesn't mean that hockey is back. They agreed to a format just in case they do play but the health hurdles still remain.
It's a step in the right direction and it seems likely that hockey will return but this could still go sideways.
Yep Superspreading is still a thing and a lot of Euro countries serving as example that even when in decline you could still have mass contagion events quite easily. It only takes one such spreader to stop this whole tourney in its tracks.

Is it just me or is blatant denial going on even planning something like this? The reality is that until effective treatment or vaccine there is no ability to ramp up things as if normal. I kind of worry that bringing stuff like this back sends a false sense of security that things are back to normal. seeing this all over.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

They’ll do just like Bundesligga, keep tight lipped and just put out those generic messages of there’s lots of work to still be done and then all of a sudden it’ll be like we’re starting in two weeks.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Wat. Do they want new numbers?

While I am livid about the 5 round playoff format they have us in, everyone worried about the taxi cab assailant p.kane forget we have Connor McDavid who has been cooped up for 2.5 months. Our chances, as they should be, are good.

They're both donning numbers they hand out during rookie camp. Changing numbers is typically an offseason rite of passage after a season spent establishing yourself with the team; I think it'd be neat if they did it after this hiatus. Yamamoto has typically worn 7 or 17 through his hockey career, and Bear has worn 25 with the Thunderbirds and 24 with the Condors. I dunno, these are the things I think about when there's no hockey being played. :laugh:

OilersaretheMcBest

Jun 3, 2006
Oil Country, AB, Can
This series against the Hawks will likely be a blessing in disguise. I would rather not have a bye when these guys have had enough rest as it is and the "mini tournament" for top teams is useless. Will players actually care to win that before the actual playoffs??

It'd be nice to have these guys dialed in going into the series against Dallas (Who the Oilers can beat). If we can't get past Chicago we have no business being in the playoffs.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Personally, I'm not worried by any opponent. I'm taking the Oilers to win the Cup. SCF goes 7 against Boston. Oilers D depth and elite scorers make the difference.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's pretty dumb that Edmonton (93% chance of making the playoffs) and Pittsburgh (92% chance) have to play teams that were clearly out of the running to make it into the playoffs.

Regardless, I'm just pumped that hockey's going to be back.

If it makes you feel better, they also sold at the deadline. So yeah, that proves that it should have been 22 teams, not 24, as those 2 teams (and not the ones after them) had clearly given up and were focused on the draft, but it also means they'll be that much worse.

So yeah, Chicago got ride of Gustavsson and Lehner. That's significant imo, even if Crawford started playing a bit better and Gustavsson had an off year. They weren't even a good team with those players.

We have a pretty huge edge over Chicago. We should get through them quickly imo. And if we don't, we weren't going to win the cup anyway and we'll get a huge draft pick upgrade (hopefully)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad