Game Analysis: SERIES DISCUSSION: ADSF | Rangers vs. Canadiens Pt. 2 (Series tied 1-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I'm really hoping our fans are super loud and make MSG the kind of home ice advantage we used to have for decades. I can not say for sure what changed but MSG has not been the same for years.

It's because the ratio of real fans to financial execs taking a potential client out for a cool night on the town who couldn't name a player on the Rangers outside Lundqvist is nearly 50:50.

Us normal folk can hear them making business deals in their rinkside seats from all the way up in the last row of the 400's.

THE BIG WHISTLE

Heave-Ho
Feb 16, 2012
By the beach
I'm really hoping our fans are super loud and make MSG the kind of home ice advantage we used to have for decades. I can not say for sure what changed but MSG has not been the same for years.

It's pretty embarrassing. To many young guys in suits criticizing our own team instead of screaming their heads of to scare the refs and opponents. People wonder why Ott didn't get the penalty on Zucc? It was because the refs were scared of the fans.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Clendening is stapled to the press and rightfully so. Ott would wreck him on the boards. Need Klein in for Holden. Bump up smith with staal and we should be good.

Clendening is neither soft nor shies away from physical play.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
It's because the ratio of real fans to financial execs taking a potential client out for a cool night on the town who couldn't name a player on the Rangers outside Lundqvist is nearly 50:50.

Us normal folk can hear them making business deals in the front row from all the way up in the last row of the 400's.

Yeah, I do that all the time. :rolleyes:

Is Jagr still on the team?

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
What if they called the interference / cross check on the blue line that not only should have been blown dead based on the book, but also at the very least screwed up the hand knockout of the puck after the puck bounced up on the excellent shot block by Miller?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Agree 100%, but he can be physically overpowered.

I mean, I guess. But we're seeing Staal pretty regularly lose battles to 5'10" players and he's twice their size. Feel like people just see the 5' 11" on Clendo and decide he's soft. It's not the case and he could provide an element we REALLY need against this team.

I don't like calling hockey players soft in any capacity, but Marc Staal is ****ing SOFT.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I mean, I guess. But we're seeing Staal pretty regularly lose battles to 5'10" players and he's twice their size. Feel like people just see the 5' 11" on Clendo and decide he's soft. It's not the case and he could provide an element we REALLY need against this team.

I don't like calling hockey players soft in any capacity, but Marc Staal is ****ing SOFT.

Exactly. I don't see Staal or Girardi, proclaimed physical guys winning tons of board battles. Guys like Carl Hagelin and Jesper Fast win more board battles than them.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

I think Clendo is better on the boards, he has a very good stick, and takes good angles when attacking the puck

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Girardi and Staal are not soft. They never were. It's just that they're not as strong as they used to be. Getting old is a *****. Exhibit A: Crease.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Someone here made a point how Holden's sloppiness had to do with him trying to force passes due to the gameplan. Which again, that's where you can give Clendening a shot over him. Holden has been below average for at least 2 months now.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The price of the seats.

Us normal folk can hear them making business deals in their rinkside seats from all the way up in the last row of the 400's.

It's pretty embarrassing. To many young guys in suits criticizing our own team instead of screaming their heads of to scare the refs and opponents. People wonder why Ott didn't get the penalty on Zucc? It was because the refs were scared of the fans.

The fan base has definitely changed. Some suits. Some corporate giveaways but for decades we had the crazies up high in the blues and some celebs down lower. Is it just the fan base? I'm curious if the redesign of the arena has had a effect on the noise at all.

The NBA Spurs used to be bad but had a huge crowd presence in a small Hemisphere arena. Then they got better but playing in the huge Alamodome their crowd noise was so much lower. When they built their current ATT center they purposefully made the arena in a tighter manner so they would have a huge crowd noise presence once again.

THE BIG WHISTLE

Heave-Ho
Feb 16, 2012
By the beach
The fan base has definitely changed. Some suits. Some corporate giveaways but for decades we had the crazies up high in the blues and some celebs down lower. Is it just the fan base? I'm curious if the redesign of the arena has had a effect on the noise at all.

The NBA Spurs used to be bad but had a huge crowd presence in a small Hemisphere arena. Then they got better but playing in the huge Alamodome their crowd noise was so much lower. When they built their current ATT center they purposefully made the arena in a tighter manner so they would have a huge crowd noise presence once again.

IMO this generation isn't as loud and obnoxious as we were :laugh: plus beer was cheaper at the MSG back in the 90s.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Girardi and Staal are not soft. They never were. It's just that they're not as strong as they used to be. Getting old is a *****. Exhibit A: Crease.

Marc Staal, this version of him, is absolutely soft.

The amount of times he quits on plays or fails to stand his ground with the puck are maddening. The amount of times he pointlessly wags his stick instead of playing the man is inexcusable. In a series where the Habs and Rangers are quite literally trying to kill each other, Marc clearly didn't get the memo and the Habs are exploiting it by targeting his wing on entries and when he has the puck.

I fully recognize it's likely an eye issue and not a mental fortitude issue but call a spade a spade.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If I'm AV I would consider milking my top 3 dmen (McD, Brady, Smith) as much as they can take and just sprinkle the other 3 in at other times for rest purposes. In a 60 minute game there are basically 120 minutes for Dmen to split up. If McD, Brady, and Smith can take it I would not mind them taking 75-80 of those 120 minutes a game. Let the other 3 play 40-45 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad