Series discussion: #2 Panthers vs. #3 Lightning - First battle goes to TBL 4-2

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
From a Craig Custance piece on the athletic. I dont have access, but someone posted this tidbit

E1RdDNRWYAEX_Al

It goes on about Barkov playing with Verhaeghe..

I dont have the rest.
Not well hidden disrespect to Verhaeghe. I think he is one of the most underrated players in the NHL right now. I guess how much hype would be around him if he played for his hometown Leafs.

Reactions: scholl

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Not well hidden disrespect to Verhaeghe. I think he is one of the most underrated players in the NHL right now. I guess how much hype would be around him if he played for his hometown Leafs.

Verhaeghe looked great even when Barkov was out injured.

Ièm not saying Verhaeghe is the same caliber of player like Marner. But this year he has shown to be a very good and capable top 6 player. Hardly a bum.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Our forward line up is SOLID. If we can carry our goal scoring success into the playoffs and Bob plays better we're in for an actual run...

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
I’m glad someone else sees this as well. He’s more engaged than he used to be but it’s embarassing how people throw around Matthews being good defensively. Mitch elevates him. If he played with March and Duclair LOL.
Matthews, unlike most players of his caliber, prefers to play deep in defensive zone, but also prone to turnovers. He is not a floater, but he hasn't elite speed and certainly not the main puck carrier on his team.
upload_2021-5-14_19-6-2.png

upload_2021-5-14_19-7-19.png

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Matthews, unlike most players of his caliber, prefers to play deep in defensive zone, but also prone to turnovers. He is not a floater, but he hasn't elite speed and certainly not the main puck carrier on his team.
View attachment 433771
View attachment 433774
Deep in the offensive zone is more accurate. Matthews is consistently floating back at the blueline when I watch him play.

panthersdu67

Oct 5, 2019
I think the Panthers can take this round in less than seven games if they manage to stay out of the box. As in "let's not play short handed" out of the box, as opposed to the box being filled with Lomberg, Marchment and others sitting 5 for fighting, with Tampa's box equally full. That we'll need plenty of. Just no silly OZ 2 minutes, no instigating and no game misconducts and such. Tampa's PP is just too dangerous.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I think the Panthers can take this round in less than seven games if they manage to stay out of the box. As in "let's not play short handed" out of the box, as opposed to the box being filled with Lomberg, Marchment and others sitting 5 for fighting, with Tampa's box equally full. That we'll need plenty of. Just no silly OZ 2 minutes, no instigating and no game misconducts and such. Tampa's PP is just too dangerous.
Pretty much this. If they Panthers can stay disciplined they will win this series in 6.

If they can't stay out of the box I'm afraid they won't be able to contain Tampa's powerplay.

Reactions: panthersdu67

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
These are my biggest concerns with our PK:

1. A forward always ends up being behind both of our DMen. They are available for tips, easy walks, etc. It also especially happens when the puck is on the circles and our PKers neither pressure or cover the man behind them.

2. The tip pass from the circles. Largely related to above. The slap pass for a tip has killed this PK many many times.

3. As passive as our PK is as they play the tight box, it is unacceptable for seam passes to get through. Any one timers should be coming from the perimiter.

4. When the puck is on the point, the Dman have all day and time to move about to pick a shooting lane or pass it to his wings. This compounds #1 as the forward all alone can freely tip or has first dibs on rebounds.

Reactions: FlaPanthers11

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Win or lose, 2022 will be the same as this year division wise, 4 powerhouses, 4 terrible teams :laugh:

At least Buffalo is gonna pass our playoff futility record.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
These are my biggest concerns with our PK:

1. A forward always ends up being behind both of our DMen. They are available for tips, easy walks, etc. It also especially happens when the puck is on the circles and our PKers neither pressure or cover the man behind them.

2. The tip pass from the circles. Largely related to above. The slap pass for a tip has killed this PK many many times.

3. As passive as our PK is as they play the tight box, it is unacceptable for seam passes to get through. Any one timers should be coming from the perimiter.

4. When the puck is on the point, the Dman have all day and time to move about to pick a shooting lane or pass it to his wings. This compounds #1 as the forward all alone can freely tip or has first dibs on rebounds.
Luckily that PK tactic has worked well against Tampa. Only Detroit and Columbus have a lower GF/60 on the PP against the Panthers. If we get to the second round it may be wise to stay out of the box though.

Fern111

Dec 20, 2015
Lomberg-Acciari-Marchment is a TOUGH line to go against, they might be our secret weapon, just like the Islanders' 4th line was their strongest line against us in 2016? This really is just a good looking line-up throughout.

Reactions: Mase

Mase

Cousins.....kind of a c**t
Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
Lomberg-Acciari-Marchment is a TOUGH line to go against, they might be our secret weapon, just like the Islanders' 4th line was their strongest line against us in 2016? This really is just a good looking line-up throughout.

If Lomberg scores a goal, or(in hushed tones) TWO goals, in this series, he might become a cult hero for these playoffs. I, for one, think it's going to happen.

The angry hobbit is going to be a pest and a half on the PK and the forecheck. His wheels and aggressiveness are going to draw some penalties.

Reactions: Cold Cat

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
West Palm TV news has discovered that there is an NHL team in Sunrise.
Actually just saw some coverage of the upcoming playoff matchup with TB while channel surfing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad