Series discussion: #2 Panthers vs. #3 Lightning - First battle goes to TBL 4-2

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
gVpDln.jpg

If the team makes it past this....I can see the momentum carrying them to at least the 3rd round.
On paper a scary lineup. When you see a guy like Tyler Johnson play on the 4th line, you know you could be in trouble.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
From a Craig Custance piece on the athletic. I dont have access, but someone posted this tidbit

E1RdDNRWYAEX_Al

It goes on about Barkov playing with Verhaeghe..

I dont have the rest.

Reactions: harv33173

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
From a Craig Custance piece on the athletic. I dont have access, but someone posted this tidbit

E1RdDNRWYAEX_Al

It goes on about Barkov playing with Verhaeghe..

I dont have the rest.
It basically just says he has ability to put the team on his back and carry them. Nothing we don't know here.

Bag Of Beans

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Best player in the league though if he had a Marner or Draisaitl :naughty:
The fact that this guy says Barky would equal those other two players if he had some serious Talent around him is laughable.
No offense to his linemates, but he would blow the League out of the water if that was the case.

Reactions: KW

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Tampa about to the ice a roster with a cap of 98+ million.

Lmfao
In all fairness, the following 23 man roster only totals up to 90m...aka 9.5m over the cap (exactly Kucherov's hit). The other 8m is coming from Gaborik and Nilsson's LTIRetirment and an AHL roster's worth of scrubs that Tampa is carrying right now.

Palat - Point - Kucherov
Killorn - Cirelli - Stamkos
Goodrow - Gourde - Coleman
Maroon - Johnson - Joseph
Colton, Barre-Boulet

Hedman - Ruuta
McDonagh - Cernak
Sergachev - Savard
Foote

Vasilevsky
McElhenny

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
In all fairness, the following 23 man roster only totals up to 90m...aka 9.5m over the cap (exactly Kucherov's hit). The other 8m is coming from Gaborik and Nilsson's LTIRetirment and an AHL roster's worth of scrubs that Tampa is carrying right now.

Palat - Point - Kucherov
Colton, Barre-Boulet

Hedman - Ruuta
McDonagh - Cernak
Sergachev - Savard
Foote

Vasilevsky
McElhenny

Yea but thats not exactly how the cap works. You have to factor in all the contracts in your system because then you would have to give up players to fit under it.

Gaborik in Nilsson allowed them to give contracts to players like McDonagh. Plus the relief also allowed them to ADD Savard at the TDL

Bag Of Beans

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..

Palat - Point - Kucherov
Colton, Barre-Boulet

Hedman - Ruuta
McDonagh - Cernak
Sergachev - Savard
Foote

Vasilevsky
McElhenn
y
Call me crazy, but if the Panthers can either contain or have Tampa's first line not ready for the series, they can beat the rest of that lineup.

FinlandPanther

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
You're right, not McDavid.
Matthews, yes. I've watched Matthews enough to understand he is just a floater who gets fed the puck. He has a good shot, No Doubt. But he's not going to win Toronto games by himself.
I’m glad someone else sees this as well. He’s more engaged than he used to be but it’s embarassing how people throw around Matthews being good defensively. Mitch elevates him. If he played with March and Duclair LOL.

Reactions: Cold Cat

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Yea but thats not exactly how the cap works. You have to factor in all the contracts in your system because then you would have to give up players to fit under it.

Gaborik in Nilsson allowed them to give contracts to players like McDonagh. Plus the relief also allowed them to ADD Savard at the TDL
There's no cap at all in the playoffs.
In a normal year (no taxi squad) 14F, 7D, 2G is a full roster.
I don't have any problem with what the Bolts did with Kucherov. There's no salary cap in the playoffs. If you have a guy bought-in enough to sit a whole season, and a team good enough to not make the playoffs without him, then bombs away.
Call me crazy, but if the Panthers can either contain or have Tampa's first line not ready for the series, they can beat the rest of that lineup.
I think the series will be decided by
- Their first line vs our first pair
- Our goaltending
- Our PK

Bag Of Beans

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
So if things pan out like they may, if the "favorites" advance,

It's going to be

West vs East
Central vs North
If Florida played Toronto in the semi-final, I'd Die. :popcorn:
Either I would make a lot of money, or I'd lose it all, as well as my pride. I would take any bet around home. There would finally be a decision in all the talk I have to my friends.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I don't have any problem with what the Bolts did with Kucherov. There's no salary cap in the playoffs. If you have a guy bought-in enough to sit a whole season, and a team good enough to not make the playoffs without him, then bombs away.

- Our goaltending
- Our PK

But thats the point. They wouldn't be to use that lineup during the regular season lol

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
So if things pan out like they may, if the "favorites" advance,

It's going to be

West vs East
Central vs North
I guess we’ll be happy to play the oilers and we can decide whether McDavid is at Barkov’s level as a team player.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz

- Our goaltending
- Our PK
Rather Their PP. If their PP gets going, the best PK cannot stop them. And we know that they have the skill to pull that off

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002

- Our goaltending
- Our PK
This is why it is very important for the league that we beat them. If it turns out that these shenanigans aren't actually successful in the end, it may not break the system just yet.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Not a full season IMO - he did have surgery in late December and needed to recover; I seriously doubt they'd just take out one of their best guys to be cap compliant. I think it's more likely "well, we could bring him back for the last month or so, but we're firmly in a playoff spot and that would create a cap hell where we'd lose guys and assets... so how about you take your time with recovery man, take one for the team and sit out the remaining 10-12 games so we can be full strength for the playoffs?"

It's completely understandable from their perspective, just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Reactions: drktmplr12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->