Serie A 2018/2019

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Can't happen. We heard about the rise back to greatness for Serie A. Just like last year and the year before.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
How big a failure would it be for Milan to not even finish top 4 again?

Depends how you classify failure, I suppose. If you're at all familiar with how disasterous their ownership has been in recent memory, you'd probably be a little more leniant in what is essentially their 1st year under stable and non-fradulent owners.

UEFA is punishing/restricting the current ownership because of the mistakes/incompetence of past regimes. It's very hard for them to make a giant leap when FFP is preventing them from splashing significant cash.

Now, it could be argued that they've spent enough to be in the top 4 despite these restrictions, but football isn't that simple, and Atalanta deserves to be where they are. Juve, Napoli and Inter are all comfortably better sides, and were thought to be before the season started.

When you say words like "again", it's grouping all of Milan's recent poor seasons together, when there should be clear lines in the sand between Berlusconi , Yonghong Li, and now Elliot Management's regimes. Make no mistake, Li left the club in shambles and much of the past year has just been cleaning up the mess as much as possible.

There's rumours saying they'll sack Leonardo if they don't make CL this season, and imo, that would be a mistake. He's done well cleaning up the roster and bringing in young talented players despite the FFP landmines placed in his path. For me, moving on from Gattuso would be the only massive change I'd make and I'm not entirely sure I'd even do that unless a clear, significant upgrade is coming in. They have a good young core that just needs to grow together and be supplemented as time goes on.

Their return to the top was always going to be a slow, gradual rise. Anyone who thought otherwise wasn't paying attention or is incapable of processing circumstance. That aside, they're in a much better position today than they were this time last year and there's reason for optimism.

If you want to look at a true failed season, look at my club.

Reactions: Pouchkine

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Not to mention, I have a really bad feeling Milan's going to end up in the top 4 in the end anyway. Inter is a complete mess (what else is new), they're playing a red-hot team trying to avoid relegation, and before you mention the "game is at San Siro" angle, let me just mention that in the three previous competitions Inter has been in this season - CL, Coppa, and EL - all three times they were eliminated came after losing or drawing games at home, so they've hardly taken care of business there in their biggest games.

I just don't have a whole lot of confidence this is going to work out.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Milan take the lead to put pressure on others for the CL spot (draw isn't good enough for them if Milan wins). Then Dommarumma is immediately injured and has to be subbed off for Reina, but Kessie extends the lead further.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
And then Abate makes an uncessarily stupid foul and they concede from the ensuing free kick. Well, at least Inter and atalanta aren't doing well now, but Milan needs a win and now it's a one goal lead only.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
HT: Milan still lead, Atalanta equalized while Inter still being held by Empoli. Milan and Atalanta in the CL with Inter missing out currently. Roma are winning their match but they need some of the teams ahead of them to lose. Also if current results hold Genoa are going down

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Atalanta up two goals with about 20 mins to play; down to the two Milan clubs now. Milan need to hold on to win and hope Inter drop points with Empoli needing to score (unless Fiorentina do them a favor)

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
If Inter fail I think there might be a riot at San Siro

Anyway, Milan now 4th, Genoa going down who are still scoreless at Fiorentina (according to twitter that game was very 'peaceful' to be kind with both teams knowing a draw will be alright, but now with Empoli getting a result that will change)

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Roma might have to cancel their ICC tour in the summer, if results hold their season will start July 25 with EL qualifiers :D

Their ICC games are July 16, 20, 24
EL 2nd round qualifying starts July 25

Reactions: Pouchkine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad