Serie A 19/20

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Thats it for Inter they cant come back from this. They put up a hell of a fight. Lazio now only one that can stop Juve.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Serie A is in shambles amid Coronavirus threat. It's being really poorly managed and confusing everyone.

Juve-Inter game was pretty good despite empty stadium. Great goal by Dybala.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Should the teams not be screened then just flown out to play in a different part of the continent at neutral stadiums? I understand the spread is elsewhere but seems more contained and better dealt with in countries other than Italy.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It's not more contained elsewhere, Italy is one of the only countries properly testing. This is going to get way worse and it's unrealistic to expect people to leave their families during this to go kick a ball.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's not more contained elsewhere, Italy is one of the only countries properly testing. This is going to get way worse and it's unrealistic to expect people to leave their families during this to go kick a ball.
You don't think it's been better contained elsewhere when Italy not only has the highest infection rate (aside from SK), but also the highest deathrate of any country with 100 or more cases (including China)? I don't know what the infrastructure is like there for medical care but even if the vast, vast majority of deaths are attributed to people 60+ with underlying health conditions that's extremely concerning from Italy. South Korea has more cases and Italy has almost 7 times the mortality (53 deaths in SK compared to 366 deaths in Italy). If you remove China from the equation actually Italy has more deaths alone than the rest of the world combined (over 21,000 cases) which includes a lot of people that were initially infected in Italy.

They estimate 61,000 people died from complications related to the flu in the US alone in 17/18, 35,000 in 18/19. Annually for the last 10 years you're looking at hundreds of thousands of people that have died from that. Millions of people die every year from starvation. This isn't marginalizing the coronavirus in any way, but it's trying to put a bit of perspective on what's going on. The deathrate is higher right now than the seasonal flu (though that mostly applies to China, Italy and Iran) but it's also just been discovered and most places were in no way prepared for it. Would it suck if this became another endemic? Yes, but I don't think sowing panic and sensationalism is really the way to go about combating or mitigating the outbreak.

Then again I'm not a doctor, a virologist or a policy maker so I am just going by what I can collect from non-sensationalist information outlets and trying to form my own logic about what's going on. I do believe you can simultaneously treat this seriously until the infrastructure is in place to properly deal with it but also keep society running. Entertainment goes a long way to helping people get by in these circumstances and athletes themselves are probably the least at risk population outside of children (who apparently just take corona in stride).

Reactions: gary69

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
You don't think it's been better contained elsewhere when Italy not only has the highest infection rate (aside from SK), but also the highest deathrate of any country with 100 or more cases (including China)? I don't know what the infrastructure is like there for medical care but even if the vast, vast majority of deaths are attributed to people 60+ with underlying health conditions that's extremely concerning from Italy. South Korea has more cases and Italy has almost 7 times the mortality (53 deaths in SK compared to 366 deaths in Italy). If you remove China from the equation actually Italy has more deaths alone than the rest of the world combined (over 21,000 cases) which includes a lot of people that were initially infected in Italy.

They estimate 61,000 people died from complications related to the flu in the US alone in 17/18, 35,000 in 18/19. Annually for the last 10 years you're looking at hundreds of thousands of people that have died from that. Millions of people die every year from starvation. This isn't marginalizing the coronavirus in any way, but it's trying to put a bit of perspective on what's going on. The deathrate is higher right now than the seasonal flu (though that mostly applies to China, Italy and Iran) but it's also just been discovered and most places were in no way prepared for it. Would it suck if this became another endemic? Yes, but I don't think sowing panic and sensationalism is really the way to go about combating or mitigating the outbreak.

Then again I'm not a doctor, a virologist or a policy maker so I am just going by what I can collect from non-sensationalist information outlets and trying to form my own logic about what's going on. I do believe you can simultaneously treat this seriously until the infrastructure is in place to properly deal with it but also keep society running. Entertainment goes a long way to helping people get by in these circumstances and athletes themselves are probably the least at risk population outside of children (who apparently just take corona in stride).

My point was that I believe Italy is one of the only countries giving out transparent numbers.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
My point was that I believe Italy is one of the only countries giving out transparent numbers.
That's not the way it came across to me, so my apologies if that's your point. I again, don't really agree given that there are many countries this has already spread to and been dealt with in (ongoing, obviously). The situation on the Diamond Princess is an interesting case to look at given it's pretty hard to doctor those numbers. But what are you thinking is going on then? The deathrate is higher than being reported or there's more cases than being reported? That it's affecting more people than just the old/infirm? I guess we could speculate all day but it seems more likely that not every country is Europe/other continents is working to suppress the numbers and mortality rate than it is that this is some world killing pandemic.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That's not the way it came across to me, so my apologies if that's your point. I again, don't really agree given that there are many countries this has already spread to and been dealt with in (ongoing, obviously). The situation on the Diamond Princess is an interesting case to look at given it's pretty hard to doctor those numbers. But what are you thinking is going on then? The deathrate is higher than being reported or there's more cases than being reported? That it's affecting more people than just the old/infirm? I guess we could speculate all day but it seems more likely that not every country is Europe/other continents is working to suppress the numbers and mortality rate than it is that this is some world killing pandemic.

I think there's more deaths and more cases than are being reported. In the sense of more cases, many people don't have to report the symptoms because they aren't that bad for them. So why go to the doctor at a time like this? Of course the number isn't as high as it probably really is in that sense. As far as deaths go, as an example here, the nursing home in Seattle where there was an outbreak reported half the deaths in the last few days as "not related to coronavirus" and they aren't going to test those people because they're already dead. What kind of logic is that? I'm not a conspiracy theorist or anything like that, but I do think there is a vested interest in some countries of keeping the number of deaths down as the panic over this is currently destroying the stock market.

The spread is rather exponential from country to country, so it's easy to say there aren't a lot of cases with active symptoms right now. The fact is we don't really know though.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think there's more deaths and more cases than are being reported. In the sense of more cases, many people don't have to report the symptoms because they aren't that bad for them. So why go to the doctor at a time like this? Of course the number isn't as high as it probably really is in that sense. As far as deaths go, as an example here, the nursing home in Seattle where there was an outbreak reported half the deaths in the last few days as "not related to coronavirus" and they aren't going to test those people because they're already dead. What kind of logic is that? I'm not a conspiracy theorist or anything like that, but I do think there is a vested interest in some countries of keeping the number of deaths down as the panic over this is currently destroying the stock market.

The spread is rather exponential from country to country, so it's easy to say there aren't a lot of cases with active symptoms right now. The fact is we don't really know though.
I agree about not really knowing the number of cases, but in theory many people not having serious symptoms probably points to the virus being less deadly/dangerous than what the current numbers even show. Most places seem to report that it isn't as transmittable as the flu, also, which is encouraging. I see the lack of quantifiable actual cases as encouraging personally since it's more likely that there are a lot of cases out there that are mild or almost asymptomatic than there are a bunch of people that have died of this without us knowing. It becomes dangerous to those at risk if this virus is not publicized and people don't care about spreading it (like some people seem to think is fine). That's why I think having measures in place to contain and reduce the spread while they test vaccines, build up immunity, etc. is important but I don't think it needs to be too extreme, if that makes sense. That's why I also suggested the neutral venues and playing behind closed doors as those seem like reasonable measures to take that allow people to have some semblance of normalcy while this is going on. It's not just about me wanting people to kick a ball, but that's how a lot of people escape. The more things shut down due to this the more panic and dissent it sows is all.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
It was the right move. Sports are always secondary to things like world health and economy. If the entire country is going to be locked down for a month shutting Serie A until the pandemic (it is definitely a pandemic in Italy) is controlled is merely a necessary 'side-measure'.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
It was the right move. Sports are always secondary to things like world health and economy. If the entire country is going to be locked down for a month shutting Serie A until the pandemic (it is definitely a pandemic in Italy) is controlled is merely a necessary 'side-measure'.

It looks likely that it can't be controlled In Italy anymore, but rather than "everybody" will be infected eventually, much like a common flu. Of course not everybody will show symptoms, and even less will require hospital care.

So postponing large gatherings and quarantines are sensible in a sense, that they give more time to add and spread out healthcare resources over time for treatment (and hopefully find somewhat effective vaccine) . But in another sense, it's just prolonging the inevitable outcome. Likely the death toll will be lower because of these measures, although there probably aren't yet reliable long term numbers of how many lives are actually saved by current level hospital treatment.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
It looks likely that it can't be controlled In Italy anymore, but rather than "everybody" will be infected eventually, much like a common flu. Of course not everybody will show symptoms, and even less will require hospital care.

So postponing large gatherings and quarantines are sensible in a sense, that they give more time to add and spread out healthcare resources over time for treatment (and hopefully find somewhat effective vaccine) . But in another sense, it's just prolonging the inevitable outcome. Likely the death toll will be lower because of these measures, although there probably aren't yet reliable long term numbers of how many lives are actually saved by current level hospital treatment.

The problem is hospitals are being overrun and they don't have the resources to treat patients. Slowing down the spread will help doctors and nurses to also treat other patients that are affected by other illnesses.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
So postponing large gatherings and quarantines are sensible in a sense, that they give more time to add and spread out healthcare resources over time for treatment (and hopefully find somewhat effective vaccine)

Agreed. Having more time to prepare for something, especially something really challenging like this, can't hurt.

But in another sense, it's just prolonging the inevitable outcome. Likely the death toll will be lower because of these measures, although there probably aren't yet reliable long term numbers of how many lives are actually saved by current level hospital treatment.

Well yes, maybe what they did today is just delaying the inevitable, maybe not. No one knows for sure at this point. But I'd rather they do something like they did today which has a possibility of slowing transmission, rather then their previous course of action which was clearly not working.

I'll stop here, as this is veering too close to politics for my liking.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
I think they will have a two game playoff in May once this is over.
A two game playoff between Juve and Lazio would be great news for Lazio. Would be a shame for them to win it that way though, they've been fantastic this season and deserve a shot at winning the Scudetto the "real" way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->