Sergei Mozyakin is a beast

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
He is truly spectacular, 512 points in 427 games. Unanswered question will always remain, how would he do in NHL?....we ll never know unfortunately but that's ok, we don't need to, he is in class of his own. Consistency is the word and we are talking 1.20 ppg.

He would do great in the NHL. He has similar skill set to Tavares, not the greatest skater but super quick and precise release. Plus Mozyakin is a great passer too. He actually should have gone and play one season in the NHL with Malkin.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
He would do great in the NHL. He has similar skill set to Tavares, not the greatest skater but super quick and precise release. Plus Mozyakin is a great passer too. He actually should have gone and play one season in the NHL with Malkin.

I am very happy he did not go for NHL. I do not want to sound like an overly-Soviet aggressive grandpa but I hate the fact that NHL drains all the talents everywhere. Tryamkin shone and ooops, he's gone. I am not angry with players or NHL but as a fan of European hockey, I just don't like when the most talented guys of the continent go somewhere else one by one and even called "coward" when not doing so. There is no need to talk about Mozyakin's skills and consistency... It's obvious. However, to me, what separates him from many other stars in KHL is the fact that he chose to stay in Russia. As I said, some may call this as a coward move, but I do not and will not. I am sure he could get a lucrative contract in NHL and find himself a place in any team. He chose KHL, he chose Russia. I am not even Russian but this is about values and most people, including me, love that.

Just finished watching Chicago against St. Louis... Think of KHL if guys like Anisimov, Panarin, Tarasenko, Malkin, Ovechkin etc. stayed in Russia. Being the selfish I am, I could watch them in the evening or at noon instead of having to stay up during the whole night. More importantly, KHL would be a much better and competitive league with all these stars and this would feed the flame for upcoming stars in Russia. How can you expect little Mozyakins at the age of 12 to watch Ovechkin or Malkin at midnight? They need good night sleep, they are sportsmen. If nothing else, they have to go to school. So, kudos to Mozyakin for being a "local" guy. If the authorities in Magnitogorsk do not, I will erect a statue of him myself in my town and troll everyone saying he is the first man on Mars - they'd buy that.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Is there a more precise, quick release in the KHL? He was such an underrated player for his whole career it makes me sad. He was bashed by some coaches, he was blamed that he has no speed and every year he worked hard and proved everyone wrong by helping his teams win. He will be missed when he retires, which will be soon I think.

I agree (huge Mozyakin fanboy), been saying for a long time he's the KHL's Datsyuk - makes the most timely plays even when other teams have extra coverage on him, he always finds a way. Besides all the skill he has, he is and plays the game extremely smart, the smartest player in the league IMO (doesn't need super speed). Love watching him in the KHL but would have selfishly loved to see him at least 1 season in the NHL alongside Malkin to see the damage he could have done. Also sad we never got to see him in the Olympics, he deserved it.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
I am very happy he did not go for NHL. I do not want to sound like an overly-Soviet aggressive grandpa but I hate the fact that NHL drains all the talents everywhere. Tryamkin shone and ooops, he's gone. I am not angry with players or NHL but as a fan of European hockey, I just don't like when the most talented guys of the continent go somewhere else one by one and even called "coward" when not doing so. There is no need to talk about Mozyakin's skills and consistency... It's obvious. However, to me, what separates him from many other stars in KHL is the fact that he chose to stay in Russia. As I said, some may call this as a coward move, but I do not and will not. I am sure he could get a lucrative contract in NHL and find himself a place in any team. He chose KHL, he chose Russia. I am not even Russian but this is about values and most people, including me, love that.

Just finished watching Chicago against St. Louis... Think of KHL if guys like Anisimov, Panarin, Tarasenko, Malkin, Ovechkin etc. stayed in Russia. Being the selfish I am, I could watch them in the evening or at noon instead of having to stay up during the whole night. More importantly, KHL would be a much better and competitive league with all these stars and this would feed the flame for upcoming stars in Russia. How can you expect little Mozyakins at the age of 12 to watch Ovechkin or Malkin at midnight? They need good night sleep, they are sportsmen. If nothing else, they have to go to school. So, kudos to Mozyakin for being a "local" guy. If the authorities in Magnitogorsk do not, I will erect a statue of him myself in my town and troll everyone saying he is the first man on Mars - they'd buy that.

I agree, the lockout KHL was probably the most interesting hockey I've watched in years. If all 50-60 NHL/AHL Russians came back to the KHL, life would be good... But as stated in the previous post, I selfishly want to see Mozy go to the NHL for 1 year just to show everyone he can play over there and be one of the best.

afrobomber11

May 23, 2010
Flin Flon Manitoba

There are tradeoffs too, plenty of North American guys willing to go and put on a show in the khl as well. I get the displeasure but it's the way she goes sometimes

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I suggest merging this with the old Mozyakin thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1314323

Sergei's having another awesome playoffs. Crazy that he's still getting better at the age 35.

1252646_3.jpg

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He is a myterious beast. I would not be surprised at all if he joins the national team... and vanishes in the haze.

Raptor1990

May 21, 2013
Devínska Nová Ves
It absolutely don`t impress me that experienced, 35 year old player is best in one of the best KHL team... Simply don`t.

But its really a shame that not many other 22+ year old players are far behind him which is not good for Russian NT at all.

Hopefully there will be more like Panarin, Kuzya and Tarasenko in the future.

Gusev and Buchnevich are still far away from them.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It absolutely don`t impress me that experienced, 35 year old player is best in one of the best KHL team... Simply don`t.

But its really a shame that not many other 22+ year old players are far behind him which is not good for Russian NT at all.

Hopefully there will be more like Panarin, Kuzya and Tarasenko in the future.

Gusev and Buchnevich are still far away from them.

Well let me tell you about a league called NHL. Yung players just leave the KHL for now. All the players yu named could be in the KHL and would probably outplay Mozyakin by now. It is what it is for now.

Acallabeth

Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
The craziest Mozyakin stat is his 70 game winning goals, including 21 in playoffs, in just 534 games! :amazed: A reminder is Jagr holds the NHL record with 149 GWGs in 1845 games.

Acallabeth

Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Just to compare the beast of the past to the beast of today:

Boris Mikhailov had 428+216=644 points in 580 USSR championship games.

Sergei Mozyakin now has 128+142=270 points in 298 Superleague RS games, 9+6=15 in 21 PO Superleague games, 240+281=521 in 435 KHL RS games and 51+67=118 in 107 KHL PO games. Overall 428+495=924 points in 861 Russian and KHL championship games, regular season and playoffs combined. It's easy to say what is the era that gives more assists, and also who's a player who plays in front of the net a lot.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
I can't believe he was snubbed from the WC team. Im not a fan Znaroks anyways, I prefer Vorobiev, who Im sure understands the value of Mozyakin like no one else :naughty:

Telegin over Mozyakin is an insult, I dont care if player a plays a specific role so player b is not on the team because too many guys like him. Telegin will likely healthy scratch every game anyways. Mozy has done more than anyone other than possibly Datsyuk, Overchkin and Malkin to deserve to play on the team. My mind is blown how he has never been on a World cup or Olympic roster despite performing well at the world championship events. Unbelievable. Besides Datsyuk there is no other guy I would want passing the puck on the power play. He needs to be respected properly and given a spot on the next Olympic team as an honour, even if the pundits think there are "better" options.

-My annual Mozyakin rant

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Minus his first season at Magnitka, Mozyakin has been over a point per game every year since 2005-06.

That's elite consistency.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
It's a mystery that he never played in the NHL. He'd do fine in there

Personally, I'm very happy he didn't. While some may call it cowardice, I call it exactly the opposite: staying in Russia when you can be a star at NHL takes big balls. Not everything is about putting the puck into back of the net or passing it for a goal to follow... There have been hundreds of tremendous hockey players but in years, most names fade while only "legends" are remembered. Mozyakin's will not fade. He'll always be the light and inspiration for Russian kids by having taught them they can stay in their hometowns or country and still become the best without having to "make the jump". KHL would only become the best with players like Mozyakin mentality. Players who, for whatever reason, choose making their own country and local team(s) better by contributing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Russian NHLers are traitors or something funny like that. They are professional athletes who want to make as much as they can in their relatively short career. Looking for NHL or whichever league is totally fine. However, staying in your homeland, which is already one of the top nations in ice hockey, to become a legend of it... This is not something every man can or will do. If a Turkish player chose staying here to score 500pts a season instead of going to Sweden or The States, I'd probably call him a coward for not being a challenger. Though I can't say the same for Mozyakin. He is already god-like in one of the best leagues in the world. While he has nothing to prove, he could've been a Russian legend, which is the way he picked.

I don't know, maybe he would simply tell us, "Dude I am afraid of USA. It's too far away from my city" about his decision to not leave for NHL but in the end I love what he did. I know I may sound a little bit too much Soviet-ish with this statement but most Russians value national pride more than, let's say, Europeans or Americans. This is why I feel happy for Mozyakin: he will always be a very well-respected star as he deserves.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
I'm glad guys like Mozyakin and Zaripov both stayed in Russia. Each spent a year in Canadian Junior Hockey (well 4 games for Mozyakin), and probably didn't have the best experience, and just decided they can earn a good living at home. Both guys are legends. I know Maxim Sushinsky had a real bad experience with the Minnesota Wild.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Someone recently posted a link from an interview with a CBJ scout at the world championships who said they tried to convince him to come to the NHL several times, saying they think he could be a star player in the NHL but he always refused.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe

I 100% agree with you!

Sure the NHL is the best league and people will want to go there and try to play at their best level.. but its always great to see guys stick around and just do their job at home. I really dislike this "he didn't go to the NHL so he's not made it" rubbish. All leagues are different and they take a different type of player. I don't personally care if he would or could or how old he is (Jagr is tearing up the best league in the world and drawing his pension!)

Acallabeth

Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Another record falls - with today's 37th goal, Sergei Mozyakin sets a new bar for the KHL goal scoring record.
There have been several seasons with more goals scored in the Soviet era (up to 53), but this is still an amazing accomplishment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad