Sergei Mozyakin is a beast

VladNYC*

Sergei Mozyakin is and has always been one of the most underrated hockey players in the world. No one ever talks about him because he has always never given two ****s about the NHL.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, I kinda don't get all this recent Mozyakin hype. It's not like this is eye-opening breakout season, we're talking about 31 year old player who has once scored 37 goals and 76 points in the RSL and was pretty much always considered 2nd best forward in the KHL. As far as I'm concerned he only comes as advertised - great offensive player, unbelievable far and away the best shot in the league, not much of a physical force or a dirty area player.

Considering all this it's only natural that he'll improve his personal bests for goals and points while playing with Malkin and Kulyomin all season long.

Frankly, to this day I wonder if he would make it to the NHL. I think it would be the same case as Zherdev, Radulov, Zuccarello, Omark and so on.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Sergei Mozyakin is and has always been one of the most underrated hockey players in the world. No one ever talks about him because he has always never given two ****s about the NHL.

Maybe it would be a different story if he played better in the World Championships. 5 goals in 21 career WHC games isn't a great accomplishment, and while we can argue that he didn't always have a lot of playing time, he plays on the most loaded position in Team Russia.

Frankly, to this day I wonder if he would make it to the NHL. I think it would be the same case as Zherdev, Radulov, Zuccarello, Omark and so on.
All different stories.
Mozyakin needs to play the 1st line with great playmaker to be what he is regarded as nowdays, hard to imagine an NHL team giving him that role, but if someone did, well, it would have been fun.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Maybe it would be a different story if he played better in the World Championships. 5 goals in 21 career WHC games isn't a great accomplishment, and while we can argue that he didn't always have a lot of playing time, he plays on the most loaded position in Team Russia.

All different stories.
Mozyakin needs to play the 1st line with great playmaker to be what he is regarded as nowdays, hard to imagine an NHL team giving him that role, but if someone did, well, it would have been fun.

I think Pitt should give it a try as a way to entice Malkin to stay...I've always had a belief that once Malkin's contract is up in 2014, then Magnitka will throw a Tsar's ransom at him to entice him back home. Malkin at this point can take or leave the NHL, more likely to return to Russia than say Ovechkin or Kovolchuk. That's my take anyway.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Interesting stat, his shooting % is just about twice as good as Malkin's... And Malkin managed to fire 80 more shots, even about 5 less games played.

ranndino

Jan 18, 2008
Boston, MA
I meant they all have enough talent to be in the NHL but neither of them is. They are the same in that sense.

The problem with the NHL is that it's a bit of an in-the-box thinking league. Zuc finally got his chance to not only play in the NHL, but be a top line player and look what he did this season. Led the Rangers in scoring! So much for all that too small for the NHL BS. I remember seeing him in the worlds for the first time and thought he was a brilliant little player. I said back then that some NHL team should really give him a chance. The Rangers did, but then he wasn't used properly by that old school bonehead Tortorella. Once they got a coach with a brain who understands how to use the talent he has at his disposal Zucarello blossomed.

I've watched this season's KHL playoffs and Mozyakin is an an incredible player. There's no doubt in my mind that he would be one of the top scorers and a star on just about any NHL club. Certainly on one of the second tier ones like Columbus, that incidentally owns his rights.

What I would really like to see (as in the ultimate dream) is for some club that's currently struggling to score to really think outside the box & try to get the whole to Magnitka line of Mozyakin - Kovar - Zaripov. They're just been destroying the KHL both in the regular season & the playoffs. Absolutely incredible to watch. Elite level skill in terms of skating, passing, vision, etc. Some people mention that they may not be strong defensively, but believe me they don't have to be because they spend every shift cycling in the offensive zone with the opposition praying that they may get a touch on the puck. They're also amazing in transition.

tohaa

Apr 23, 2012
The problem with the NHL is that it's a bit of an in-the-box thinking league. Zuc finally got his chance to not only play in the NHL, but be a top line player and look what he did this season. Led the Rangers in scoring! So much for all that too small for the NHL BS. I remember seeing him in the worlds for the first time and thought he was a brilliant little player. I said back then that some NHL team should really give him a chance. The Rangers did, but then he wasn't used properly by that old school bonehead Tortorella. Once they got a coach with a brain who understands how to use the talent he has at his disposal Zucarello blossomed.

I've watched this season's KHL playoffs and Mozyakin is an an incredible player. There's no doubt in my mind that he would be one of the top scorers and a star on just about any NHL club. Certainly on one of the second tier ones like Columbus, that incidentally owns his rights.

What I would really like to see (as in the ultimate dream) is for some club that's currently struggling to score to really think outside the box & try to get the whole to Magnitka line of Mozyakin - Kovar - Zaripov. They're just been destroying the KHL both in the regular season & the playoffs. Absolutely incredible to watch. Elite level skill in terms of skating, passing, vision, etc. Some people mention that they may not be strong defensively, but believe me they don't have to be because they spend every shift cycling in the offensive zone with the opposition praying that they may get a touch on the puck. They're also amazing in transition.
He's 32 or 33 years old, no one owns his rights anymore, but even then, he's a bit too old to make the jump I would think.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Mozyakin indeed is beasting, but we all knew how good he is, he's been pretty consistent through his career and khl. This is not even his best regular season lol. But this time he's phenomenal in play offs also, he's been pretty good before, but nothing insane.

That would be pretty sad if he doesn't win cup this year after doing all this by himself(and his line ofc) because of his team mates and kitty in between posts

Not to bring it off topic but I don't think any team should win a cup just because of one player, it's much more satisfying when it is a team effort

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
When Mozyakin goes Kovy in a final of a major international tourney, I'd say he is the beastiest.

IF he goes Kovy. I wish him that, but I will still wait with the parade until after the WC.

Voltron51

Aug 8, 2014

All different stories.

I would like to see mozyakin play with the pens along side Malkin , it would be fun to watch them with Crosby on the power play ..

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
IF he goes Kovy. I wish him that, but I will still wait with the parade until after the WC.

And here we go. That "star" for internal use is out of the picture for me forever. If he's "tired" to play for the NT, let MMG fans go crazy about him.

CalgaryLeaf*

Good article from Larionov who said;

"In Russia right now, there are four or five Datsyuks playing in the KHL who never got their chance. Sergei Mozyakin led the KHL in scoring last season and was in the scoring race for most of his 20s. But he’s 33 now and nobody in America has ever heard of him. Why? Most North American coaches don’t have the patience for his style of play."

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/miracle-on-ice-hockey-russia/

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Creative hockey, had privilege to see him play in person.

Great article (and videos) indeed, that's what i love about KHL. i am afraid Mozyakin would be destroyed in NHL, physically.

ranndino

Jan 18, 2008
Boston, MA
Creative hockey, had privilege to see him play in person.

Great article (and videos) indeed, that's what i love about KHL. i am afraid Mozyakin would be destroyed in NHL, physically.

That's what people were saying about Paul Kariya, Martin St. Louis and any other highly skilled small player before they played their first game in the NHL. They seemed to do OK :)

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Mozyakin - Best sniper in KHL, underrated

Is there a more precise, quick release in the KHL? He was such an underrated player for his whole career it makes me sad. He was bashed by some coaches, he was blamed that he has no speed and every year he worked hard and proved everyone wrong by helping his teams win. He will be missed when he retires, which will be soon I think.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Well I don't know what Russians think about him in general but to me, he is a true legend. Gagarin Cup once again would be icing on the cake. KHL saw many stars but Mozyakin is the one who spent his entire career here, consistently being awesome. I hope the KHL board will not forget about him once he retires.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
He is truly spectacular, 512 points in 427 games. Unanswered question will always remain, how would he do in NHL?....we ll never know unfortunately but that's ok, we don't need to, he is in class of his own. Consistency is the word and we are talking 1.20 ppg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad