Sergei Makarov

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
According to hockeydb and wikipedia, Sergei Makarov played 4 games for the Dallas Stars in 96-97. I have zero memory of this whatsoever, but I was in elementary school at the time, so I might have missed it.

What was the nature of him playing for Dallas? Was it a sign-and-retire deal? Did Bob Gainey's Stars have too much youth on the roster? Did Zubov have an expat clause in his contract requiring we recruit more CSKA Moscow guys? Any help would be appreciated ...

blamebettman*

I think he might have retired after the 1995 season but decided to come back for the 96-97 season in the Swiss leagues and played well enough for the Stars to give him a chance...it was pretty clear he couldn't play the NHL game anymore though. He was 38.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
It's reassuring to know that there ARE players who are too old to play for Bob Gainey and Ken Hitchcock. Thanks for the help.

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
Here is what Makarov said about this:
Translated from www.sport-express.ru/art.shtml?86356

"Goose" Hitchcock

- Do you regret that you did not go, together with Larionov and Fetisov, to Bowmen’s Detroit to be a part of the Russian Five that won the Stanley Cup?
No I don’t, I have my own destiny. And a chance to win the Cup soon appeared.
After the unpleasant contract history with San Jose, I decided to finish my career. Before the World Cup of 96, I was coaching our national team. Unexpectedly, on one of our practices the general manager of "Dallas, Bob Gainey, came to me and said: "Sergei, you, I see, are in excellent shape. I want to sign a contract with you. You could teach the young some lessons." I thought about it and decided to go to Texas.

- Over there, if I am not mistaken, coach Ken Hitchcock was in charge, now successfully working in Philadelphia.
Yes, he is a very original character. Soviet temper ... And immediately upon arrival I understood that he will not let me play.

- Why?
Hitchcock could not stand Europeans. Plus everything on his team went according to scheme. During one of the first days, he began drawing me some kind of diagrams: how to go around players, where to be open, where to dump the puck. It was ridiculous ...
I tolerated it, tolerated, but then I could not anymore and explained to Hitchcock how everything is done in the actual game by the name of hockey. It seemed to me that my teammates started paying attention to me, see me almost as if I were a coach. Hitchcock, evidently, complained to the general manager. In the end, by mutual agreement of both sides, the contract was terminated, and my career ended.

- I have heard that Hitchcock could not even skate.
Yes, it was funny to look at – he put on skates and walked with them on ice, like a goose. And it was even funnier when, in one and a half seasons, Dallas won the Stanley Cup. However, Hitchcock, evidently, over screwed the bolts and soon he was fired afterall. On the request of the players themselves.

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland

"Goose" Hitchcock

- Do you regret that you did not go, together with Larionov and Fetisov, to Bowmen’s Detroit to be a part of the Russian Five that won the Stanley Cup?
No I don’t, I have my own destiny. And a chance to win the Cup soon appeared.
After the unpleasant contract history with San Jose, I decided to finish my career. Before the World Cup of 96, I was coaching our national team. Unexpectedly, on one of our practices the general manager of "Dallas, Bob Gainey, came to me and said: "Sergei, you, I see, are in excellent shape. I want to sign a contract with you. You could teach the young some lessons." I thought about it and decided to go to Texas.

- Over there, if I am not mistaken, coach Ken Hitchcock was in charge, now successfully working in Philadelphia.
Yes, he is a very original character. Soviet temper ... And immediately upon arrival I understood that he will not let me play.

- Why?
Hitchcock could not stand Europeans. Plus everything on his team went according to scheme. During one of the first days, he began drawing me some kind of diagrams: how to go around players, where to be open, where to dump the puck. It was ridiculous ...
I tolerated it, tolerated, but then I could not anymore and explained to Hitchcock how everything is done in the actual game by the name of hockey. It seemed to me that my teammates started paying attention to me, see me almost as if I were a coach. Hitchcock, evidently, complained to the general manager. In the end, by mutual agreement of both sides, the contract was terminated, and my career ended.

- I have heard that Hitchcock could not even skate.
Yes, it was funny to look at – he put on skates and walked with them on ice, like a goose. And it was even funnier when, in one and a half seasons, Dallas won the Stanley Cup. However, Hitchcock, evidently, over screwed the bolts and soon he was fired afterall. On the request of the players themselves.

Hitchcock is a worldclass redneck. Probably it's wrong to say a worldclass, because of rednecks aren't excatly a globetrotters.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
- Why?
Everything on his team went according to scheme. During one of the first days, he began drawing me some kind of diagrams: how to go around players, where to be open, where to dump the puck. It was ridiculous ... I tolerated it, tolerated, but then I could not anymore and explained to Hitchcock how everything is done in the actual game by the name of hockey. It seemed to me that my teammates started paying attention to me, see me almost as if I were a coach. Hitchcock, evidently, complained to the general manager. In the end, by mutual agreement of both sides, the contract was terminated, and my career ended.

Sports Illustrated, that tremendous hockey pub :lol: did a story on Mike Modano breaking the US-born point scoring record ... and they quoted Brett Hull saying, basically, "just think how many Mike would have scored if he didn't have to play for Bob Gainey and Ken Hitchcock!"

You'll never catch this Stars fan complaining with Hitchcock's results (2 President's Trophies, 2 Campbell Cups, 1 Stanley Cup), but I guess it's like sausage ... you don't always WANT to know how it's made. I'm glad that later veteran acquisitions -- Brian Skrudland, Mike Keane -- were more comfortable playing Hitchcock Hockey.

Thanks again y'all.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Does anyone else think that it is funny that Hitchcock explains to Makarov of all persons how to go around players? That is really ridiculous.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Hitchcock seems to be very similar to Punch Imlach in terms of the type of players he was most comfortable with. Veterans who will do a specific job and stay out of trouble. Free-lancers need not apply. I guess if you have an under achieving team, he's your guy. Guys adapt, and change though. It'll be interesting to see how things work out in Columbus over the long term.

The thing about Makarov that always stuck with me is his 1 on 1 moves. He was a bit like Lafleur in that if he had the puck and space coming down on a defenseman, that d man was nervous.

Ogopogo*

Hitchcock is a worldclass redneck. Probably it's wrong to say a worldclass, because of rednecks aren't excatly a globetrotters.

redneck?

I would say he has his own style and it has worked well for him.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Makarov was essentially forced into retirement by San Jose. Shortly after that Larionov was dealt to Detroit (from what I understand, he demanded to be traded out of anger because of the forced retirement)

Anywho, I believe it was the beginning of next season, the Stars let Makarov try out or something and thats how he ended up playing those 4 games. I believe he was 38 at the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad