Sergei Gonchar - where will he finish?

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Gonchar now sits #16 all time in points by a d-man. He's 27 points away from #15.

Where does he finish? I'm guessing he stays at #16, but I'm curious what you all think.

Either way, seems like he will be a hall of famer.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
The next number retired by the Habs ? :sarcasm:

Oh I forgot we can't. Bouillon already held the same number :sarcasm:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
god do I have a dirty mind

Anyway, 25-30 points this year for us, maybe less if he's the 7th D.

No he shouldn't be a hall of famer. I can't stand when people get in the HHOF based on breaking milestones with longevity.

Last edited:

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
45 pts with 63 games left..

I don't think that's possible. Unless the PP clicks like it did vs Philly nightly.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
god do I have a dirty mind

Anyway, 25-30 points this year for us, maybe less if he's the 7th D.

No he shouldn't be a hall of famer. I can't stand when people get in the HHOF based on breaking milestones with longevity.

He's missing the Norris but he does have a cup, which the hhof seems to hold in high regard. Then again, the guy directly ahead of him never made the hall either, but I would think gonchar's numbers could be much more impresive if he was a player in the 80s.

For players who started their career in the 90s, gonchar is second only to Lidstrom in this category. Only two player ahead of him didn't play in the 80s.... The other was bobby orr.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
He's missing the Norris but he does have a cup, which the hhof seems to hold in high regard. Then again, the guy directly ahead of him never made the hall either, but I would think gonchar's numbers could be much more impresive if he was a player in the 80s.

For players who started their career in the 90s, gonchar is second only to Lidstrom in this category. Only two player ahead of him didn't play in the 80s.... The other was bobby orr.

Yeah the lack of trophies makes it an easy no for me. I'm a stickler for players having to be among the top of their contemporaries. No way was Gonchar better than Leetch, Blake, Desjardins, Chelios...and certainly not the obvious talents like Lidstrom and Bourque.

99GoHabsGo99

MontrealCanadiens200
Oct 6, 2009
Charlottetown,PE
www.youtube.com
B2l6l9BCUAE-oK2.jpg

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
He'll hit #14 with us

Next year....

I could see it. If the team goes deep in the playoffs, feeling at home in Montreal and with fellow Russian players on the team, I could envision him taking a pay cut to stay on a competive team in a hockey Mecca. So, if you're MB, assuming that you re-sign all of your RFAs, what is a fair price for a 41-year old Gonchar? $2M?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad