Sergei Bobrovsky

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Saying Bob is bad in the playoffs is like saying Ovechkin hasn't been past the second round of the playoffs. It's true until it isn't.

Bob's playoff career is basically 20 games. His 3 series with the BJs were against Pittsburgh twice and the Caps, the last two years against the eventual champions. It's basically a meaningless sample.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Except Bobs play is an individual problem while Ovi's playoff record was a team failure.

So not the same thing at all.

And am I the only one who has actually watched him in the playoffs? Does nobody else see how shaky he looks? This isn't a matter of his team or his opponent... Bob just isn't the same player in the regular season vs the playoffs. Maybe it's just a mental thing with him and maybe he'd be better elsewhere, but I don't like the idea of risking that high of a price tag on it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Except Bobs play is an individual problem while Ovi's playoff record was a team failure.

So not the same thing at all.

And am I the only one who has actually watched him in the playoffs? Does nobody else see how shaky he looks? This isn't a matter of his team or his opponent... Bob just isn't the same player in the regular season vs the playoffs. Maybe it's just a mental thing with him and maybe he'd be better elsewhere, but I don't like the idea of risking that high of a price tag on it.

Ovi did have some lackluster performances in his own right in big games.

On the flip side, as bad as Bob has been in the playoffs, i'm willing to bet he has a good run in him.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We just don't need to add a 8+ million dollar goalie long term when we have a top G prospect entering the AHL.

Varly on a 2-3 year deal makes way more sense.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ovi did have some lackluster performances in his own right in big games.

On the flip side, as bad as Bob has been in the playoffs, i'm willing to bet he has a good run in him.
If I bad to bet, yeah, I think you’re right. He has the ability, for sure.

But at roughly $8m per year, and likely for quite a few years, I think it’s too much to risk if we ended up being wrong.

Reactions: Rebels57

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I mean every goalie looks bad when they're bad. Remember how horrible Fleury looked in 2012, compared to how he looked in this year's playoffs?

Anyway, I don't want to sign Bob either.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If I bad to bet, yeah, I think you’re right. He has the ability, for sure.

But at roughly $8m per year, and likely for quite a few years, I think it’s too much to risk if we ended up being wrong.

Yeah im not interested in a long term deal either.

Reactions: Striiker

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Hexy will kick the tires probably, but signing him would be a bad decision. Very few times do you see a goalie get signed long-term for big money in the cap era and people go "BEST UFA signing by far!"

jghockey

Aug 14, 2018
Hexy will kick the tires probably, but signing him would be a bad decision. Very few times do you see a goalie get signed long-term for big money in the cap era and people go "BEST UFA signing by far!"

But Hart should not be rushed into the #1 spotlight. He has to be eased into the job. Remember how John Vanbiesbrouck mentored and help Brian Boucher during the latter's rookie season? Hart needs a veteran who can help him be confident about playing in the NHL.

Reactions: renberg

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
But Hart should not be rushed into the #1 spotlight. He has to be eased into the job. Remember how John Vanbiesbrouck mentored and help Brian Boucher during the latter's rookie season? Hart needs a veteran who can help him be confident about playing in the NHL.

Why does he need to be eased in? How is Beezer mentoring Boucher proof of anything?

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I decided to visit my parents this weekend in our old place - and I got to go through some old hockey and pc games magazines (mainly due to nostalgia). I am sure you will all love this first page from April 2012. By the way the headline reads "Is Mr. Universe ready?" - and it aims towards the 2012 playoffs. #firstpagejinx #earnyesterday

Yvhbt0S.jpg

jghockey

Aug 14, 2018
Why does he need to be eased in? How is Beezer mentoring Boucher proof of anything?

I'm just pointing that out as an example. Just because Hart has had success in juniors does not mean guarantee that he will pan out in the NHL. What I'm trying to say is it would help Hart to develop his game if a veteran goalie were to help him get settled into the NHL for 2-3 years. That way, there won't be so much pressure on Hart to begin with.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I decided to visit my parents this weekend in our old place - and I got to go through some old hockey and pc games magazines (mainly due to nostalgia). I am sure you will all love this first page from April 2012. By the way the headline reads "Is Mr. Universe ready?" - and it aims towards the 2012 playoffs. #firstpagejinx #earnyesterday

Yvhbt0S.jpg

AL0HkVb.png

More importantly (@Beef Invictus), I noticed something in the bottom right corner.

Now, I don't speak a word of Czech, so I could be wrong, but I believe this translates to: "MARTIN ERAT: The Greatest Chance of Success for Global Destruction."

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
AL0HkVb.png

More importantly (@Beef Invictus), I noticed something in the bottom right corner.

Now, I don't speak a word of Czech, so I could be wrong, but I believe this translates to: "MARTIN ERAT: The Greatest Chance of Success for Global Destruction."

Yup I thought about pointing that one out too but then I thought one disaster was enough.

Funny thing about that Erat part is, its quite confusing in Czech - because this line can literally mean both "[this year is] his greatest chance to succeed" and "[he maximizes your teams] chance of success" (and I for sure didnt know what is the meaning until I read the article)

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
No. When you have the top goalie prospect in the world, you don’t block him. Not to mention you have Sandstrom, who was a big time prospect before his hiatal hernia last season. There’s a good chance he bounces back big time if the medical issue is under control.

So with those guys in the system, you don’t tie up a huge part of your cap, long term, in a vet goalie.

Reactions: Sawdalite

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
The irony would be massive if we signed a veteran like Bobrovsky (to a contract he probably can't live up to) and block one of the top young goalies in the world in Hart.

It's like Bryz and Bob all over again!

Reactions: Bruckuss

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota

Yvhbt0S.jpg

Somewhat off topic... but I find it very odd that they would use an image of Bryz in a Howe Retro Retirement Ceremony Jersey, unless the article centered around that Game -- which I'm guessing it wasn't -- Welp, at least the Number 2 on the sleeve isn't visable. Haha

... Anyway... you may now carry on with the Thread.

FWIW, IIRC Bob wasn't very happy with how he was treated/handled by the Flyers... I'm thinking that not only would he not cut the Flyers a break... they would have to be a very clear leader in Contract offerings... I don't see him signing anything short of a long-term, high salary mega-deal here... By no means anywhere near the JvR situation.

Short if a three year/8M maxed deal, I'd rather they don't even bother kicking his tires... and even with that, I wouldn't be enthusiastic with tying up that much Cap at this point in the Process... I'd rather a lower level/cost Bridge Goalie who can stay healthy and not lose them any Games... until the young lions are ready. K-9

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I'm just pointing that out as an example. Just because Hart has had success in juniors does not mean guarantee that he will pan out in the NHL. What I'm trying to say is it would help Hart to develop his game if a veteran goalie were to help him get settled into the NHL for 2-3 years. That way, there won't be so much pressure on Hart to begin with.

Boucher's best season was probably his rookie year. Does that speak well or poorly of how the whole mentoring thing went? Ron Hextall's best season was also his rookie year, and he just took the job immediately and ran away with it, leading the league in games played and then winning the Conn Smythe.

It's really hard to imagine Hart playing second fiddle for 3 years.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
In fantasy land, sure. 2 years at a reasonable number ($6M or less).

In reality, he aint taking less than 5 years, and he probably gets more than $6M.
"probably gets more than $6M"

He makes 7.425 million right now and the cap has gone up. He also won another Vezina on this 4 year contract. He is not taking a paycut let alone a 1 million+ dollar one.

Lundqvist make 8.5. Price make 10.5. Bob should slot in between the 2. And with the term he will want, it's an easy pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->