Sergei Bobrovsky - Top Cop

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I'm all for Bob seeing a shrink.

What I disagree with is he is seeing a shrink because of the playoffs. He's a streaky player in the regular season. At times he is great, other times he is well below average. Clearly this season he peaked way too early and he wasn't sharp coming into the playoffs.

There are clearly times when goalies just see the puck better, but Bob seems to be an extreme. Don't know if it's focus or what but seeing a shrink likely won't hurt.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'm all for Bob seeing a shrink.

What I disagree with is he is seeing a shrink because of the playoffs. He's a streaky player in the regular season. At times he is great, other times he is well below average. Clearly this season he peaked way too early and he wasn't sharp coming into the playoffs.

There are clearly times when goalies just see the puck better, but Bob seems to be an extreme. Don't know if it's focus or what but seeing a shrink likely won't hurt.

As a goalie I can tell you its a mental thing. A combination of bad puck luck and mental concentration. The more you're thinking, the less saves you're gonna make.

Inquiring Minds

Jul 12, 2007
Grandview, Ohio
As a goalie I can tell you its a mental thing. A combination of bad puck luck and mental concentration. The more you're thinking, the less saves you're gonna make.

Made me think of these commercials.

The Jackets will learn. Sometimes the harder you try the less success you have. "Gripping the stick" I think the forwards were going through something similar in the scoring drought.
Fine line between relaxing and getting into the "zone" and being at the peak of your performance

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Watching Pitt play their second goalie vs Ottawa and we are lucky to have half a goalie makes me mildly nauseous...

Fleury/Murray and we have what??? Bob who crashes in the playoffs, every year, every time!

Dump Bob, get some goaltending John!!!!!!!!!!

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Watching Pitt play their second goalie vs Ottawa and we are lucky to have half a goalie makes me mildly nauseous...

Fleury/Murray and we have what??? Bob who crashes in the playoffs, every year, every time!

Dump Bob, get some goaltending John!!!!!!!!!!

This was Pekka Rinne until this year.

Provided you don't start your goalie 65+ games and burn him out in the regular season, the goaltending you get in the playoffs is largely luck. Who is hot? Who is not? One year it's Giguere, another it's Quick, another it's Holtby, etc. etc.

The smart thing to do right now is to stick with Bob and get a backup who can reliably start 20-30 games to take the regular season load off of him. If Korpisalo/Forsberg/Merzlikins isn't the answer maybe look at getting a 1B veteran guy for 1-2 years who can be thrown into the playoffs if need be.

Last edited:

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Bob is growing some beard again. New interview Well, he said he's satisfied with his performance in general, it's a pity to lose in playoffs, but that's life and "it is what it is" lol ( i didn't know that that's his favorite phrase in both languages) No shrink questions obviously.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
This was Pekka Rinne until this year.

Provided you don't start your goalie 65+ games and burn him out in the regular season, the goaltending you get in the playoffs is largely luck. Who is hot? Who is not? One year it's Giguere, another it's Quick, another it's Holtby, etc. etc.

The smart thing to do right now is to stick with Bob and get a backup who can reliably start 20-30 games to take the regular season load off of him. If Korpisalo/Forsberg/Merzlikins isn't the answer maybe look at getting a 1B veteran guy for 1-2 years who can be thrown into the playoffs if need be.

I agree with this 100%.

it is concerning Bob has never played well in the playoffs - but he wasn't playing well down the stretch this season, so I didn't expect him to flip the switch (hoping for it but not expected). So I don't see last season as an example of he flopped in the playoffs. He flopped in last few weeks and the playoffs. It's who he is - very streaky.

Do agree backup needs to play 20+ games and give us an option when he's not playing well (even in playoffs) to use someone else.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
This idea that there's some magic formula or hidden goalie out there that is 100% effective 100% of the time really needs to die. Certainly, there can be different strategies employed, like bringing in someone who can play 20-30 games without losing 70% of them - those are the reasonable ideas in this thread.

Bob is an elite goalie. The golf course has been filling with elite goalies since April. There is no inherent flaw in him that needs fixed by anything other than experience. He's very likely going to win the Vezina trophy for the second time in about a month, folks. This is not "half a goalie"

Who wins in the playoffs is determined by who gets hot at the right time. Those with experience know to elevate their game and keep playing. Those without tend to overreact or overplay the position. Sometimes this is covered by the team in front of them, sometimes this is exposed by the team in front of them.

Every goalie remaining in the playoffs has had a bad game or two in this year's playoffs, with the exception of Murray, who has not played enough to really judge. Every goalie who has ever won a cup has had countless bad games.

It's all about timing, ability and, of course, timing. Bob has the ability in spades. It's silly to think otherwise. It's sillier still to think there's some sort of magic beans out there that the CBJ can acquire to permanently "fix" whatever fans think is broken. The only way to get better in sports, is to continue to try and try again.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Bob is an elite goalie. The golf course has been filling with elite goalies since April. There is no inherent flaw in him that needs fixed by anything other than experience. He's very likely going to win the Vezina trophy for the second time in about a month, folks. This is not "half a goalie"
Right i can't believe of this remaining idea on this board to get rid of Bob?! I mean are you people f..cking serious?

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Perspectives that might needs reconsidered, should anyone hold them both:

1) The team isn't as good as its results. Bob was the reason for the top 3 finish.

2) Can't trust Bob in the playoffs. Gotta do something about it.

Last edited:

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I agree with this 100%.

it is concerning Bob has never played well in the playoffs - but he wasn't playing well down the stretch this season, so I didn't expect him to flip the switch (hoping for it but not expected). So I don't see last season as an example of he flopped in the playoffs. He flopped in last few weeks and the playoffs. It's who he is - very streaky.

Do agree backup needs to play 20+ games and give us an option when he's not playing well (even in playoffs) to use someone else.

And lest we forget, until this play-offs, Pittsburgh fans have been screaming for MAF's head on a silver platter for his horrible play-off performances.

Not to mention he just handed the starting spot back to Matt Murray with his game 3 performance.

I would also bet that you will find a lot of Ranger fans that believe Lundqvist hasn't played up to his skill level in a lot of play-off games.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I think that the CBJ have no better option than to roll with Bob for the next year. They have to hope that his horrid playoff performances are just quirks and that in the long run his playoff performance will approach that of his regular season.

He's a $7.425m cap hit, but his salaries are $6.5m and $6.2m over the last two seasons of his contract. That's cheap for a possible two time Vezina winner.

If he fails again next season in the playoffs, then it's probably time to ship him off.

Last edited:

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I think that the CBJ have no better option than to roll with Bob for the next year. They have to hope that his horrid playoff performances are just quirks and that in the long run his playoff performance will approach that of his regular season.

He's a $7.425m cap hit, but his salaries are $6.5m and $6.2m over the last two seasons of his contract. That's cheap for a possible two time Vezina winner.

If he fails again next season in the playoffs, then it's probably time to ship him off.

If next year he has another Vezina-nomination season and sucks again in the playoffs, he only has one year left on his contract. Would rather just hang onto him for that final year and see what happens.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If next year he has another Vezina-nomination season and sucks again in the playoffs, he only has one year left on his contract. Would rather just hang onto him for that final year and see what happens.

Nothing wrong with that strategy.

There are very few players whose playoff and regular season performances vary radically over larger (50 or more playoff games) samples. I'm comfortable with attributing Bob's sub par post season performances to random bad play at this point.

That's not to say that I'm going to be betting on the CBJ in round one next season:laugh:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Nothing wrong with that strategy.

There are very few players whose playoff and regular season performances vary radically over larger (50 or more playoff games) samples. I'm comfortable with attributing Bob's sub par post season performances to random bad play at this point.

That's not to say that I'm going to be betting on the CBJ in round one next season:laugh:

It's also worth mentioning that Bobrovsky has faced the Penguins both of his last two playoff appearances -- a team that was located above the Jackets and favored to win the series.

If he were to struggle against a team that was significantly below the Jackets in the regular season standings, then maybe there would be cause for concern. Even then, small sample sizes.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
This idea that there's some magic formula or hidden goalie out there that is 100% effective 100% of the time really needs to die. Certainly, there can be different strategies employed, like bringing in someone who can play 20-30 games without losing 70% of them - those are the reasonable ideas in this thread.

Who wins in the playoffs is determined by who gets hot at the right time. Those with experience know to elevate their game and keep playing. Those without tend to overreact or overplay the position. Sometimes this is covered by the team in front of them, sometimes this is exposed by the team in front of them.

Every goalie remaining in the playoffs has had a bad game or two in this year's playoffs, with the exception of Murray, who has not played enough to really judge. Every goalie who has ever won a cup has had countless bad games.

It's all about timing, ability and, of course, timing. Bob has the ability in spades. It's silly to think otherwise. It's sillier still to think there's some sort of magic beans out there that the CBJ can acquire to permanently "fix" whatever fans think is broken. The only way to get better in sports, is to continue to try and try again.

How many NHL PLAYOFF series has Bob won Wooten??? Just asking..

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
OMG, three playoffs appearances in 17 years, two of them thanks to Bob, and already "Montreal entitled".

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things

We wouldn't have gotten to the playoffs without him this year. Gotta get there to win.

He's working on the mental aspect of his game. He's a #1 without question. Do you really want to put your eggs in Korpi's basket? Or one of the other kids? Thus far that hasn't worked out for us either.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

He's had two chances, both against better teams. I know what you want to believe, but it just doesn't matter. The team had more problems than Bob this last series - and interestingly enough every team they've played this year has shown the same problems. Might have something to do with the other team, eh?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Can he go back to back on the Vezina?

The Columbus Blue Jackets are currently off to one of the hottest starts in franchise history. The Blue Jackets have earned 23 points in 19 games so far this season. 23 points is good enough to put Columbus seventh in the NHL and fourth in the Eastern Conference.

A big part of the Blue Jackets success has been goalie Sergei Bobrovsky. Bobrovksy has a save percentage of .928 and a of 2.16 goals-against-average, sixth best in the NHL. The big question is can Sergei Bobrovsky’s Vezina hopes stay alive the rest of the season.

An Early Look at Sergei Bobrovsky and His Vezina Trophy Hopes

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Bob's numbers are better than last season.

17-18 Win% 71.9
16-17 69.0

17-18 save% .933
16-17 .931

17-18 2.02 goals against avg.
16-17 2.06

He's obviously regressing as I predicted that he would. Good to be wrong. There's a first for everything I guess.

Last edited:

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
im a huge Robert fan, but i can tell in his vitriol about Bob he is letting his great Buffalo goal tending past experience cloud his judgement on Sergei. Sergei is and will be our most important player this next decade. Believe it, embrace it, get behind it. The guy is the reason for the turn around. Bob, Jones and Z, they are the friggin wall that our success will be built on. Do not come around here cutting on Bob, it makes our fanbase laughable.

Reactions: cbjlurker

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
im a huge Robert fan, but i can tell in his vitriol about Bob he is letting his great Buffalo goal tending past experience cloud his judgement on Sergei. Sergei is and will be our most important player this next decade. Believe it, embrace it, get behind it. The guy is the reason for the turn around. Bob, Jones and Z, they are the friggin wall that our success will be built on. Do not come around here cutting on Bob, it makes our fanbase laughable.
I’ll withhold comment as to the next decade until his next contract is resolved. But he’s the key for the rest of this decade.

I think a good bar debate would be whether Bob or Nash is the most important player in CBJ history. Longevity favors Nash as his career CBJ stats are compelling. But certainly Bob is the most accomplished with his two Vezinas.

Reactions: pete goegan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad