Sergei Bobrovsky - Top Cop

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Not sure how Bob is the scapegoat here. Pittsburgh simply out played Columbus. As much as I hate Pitsburgh it's undeniable.

You put a team playing better in front of Bob and his numbers would be fine. You put a better goalie in net and you still lose.

I'm a Bobrovsky fan, and I've actually been kinder to him as compared to others on here in the last couple weeks.. But, Bobrovsky really struggled in the series with Pittsburgh. He gave away a goal in game 2 on a behind his own net turnover, started to fight the puck really bad, allowed goals that he usually stops, and rebounds got pretty bad too. There's no debating he was a key reason why we lost the series in 5 games honestly.. I'm not placing the whole series on him, or saying we win the series if he plays better..

We all knew for us to have a chance in the playoffs, Bobrovsky would have to continue his Vezina like regular season.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Not sure how Bob is the scapegoat here. Pittsburgh simply out played Columbus. As much as I hate Pitsburgh it's undeniable.

You put a team playing better in front of Bob and his numbers would be fine. You put a better goalie in net and you still lose.

What series did you watch? The only game they outplayed us easily was game 3. Game 1 and 2 was up for grabs and could have easily been won by us. We should have won game 4 and 5.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
No, Carolina traded for the rights to negotiate with Darling. He can still test the FA market come 7/1 if he does not sign with the Canes.

I mean... he was traded. Yes he is a UFA, but he was still traded. We aren't going to make a play for him, nor should we, so it really is a moot issue anyways.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus

Imagine if we had a better team, and a better bob... Bob had an .868 for the series, he sucked. Period. Suddenly in the playoffs he couldn't handle a puck or control rebounds.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
His main competition for the Vezina, Holtby, is having just about as much success with the Pens as Bob did.

Yeah I think it was a mixture of:
1. Pens having very very good players who can turn lower quality shots into high quality chances.
2. Being worn out from the regular season, potentially having a minor injury which wasn't announced.
3. Small sample size.
4. Maybe getting psyched out a bit (although I doubt this is it).

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
What series did you watch? The only game they outplayed us easily was game 3. Game 1 and 2 was up for grabs and could have easily been won by us. We should have won game 4 and 5.

Not to speak for others but probably the one where Pittsburgh won 4-1 and outscored us 22-12. :dunno:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Nominated for the Hart. First CBJ player to ever earn that honor. Deserves it for what he did. That has to mean he is locked for the Vezna if he's nominated for the hart.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Have to think this even further solidifies the Vezina for Bob. And while I expect him to finish third in the Hart, he probably deserves higher based on his play and contribution to the team over the regular season.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
He should finish at minimum 2nd. Much more important to us the. Crosby to pitt. They still have Malkin and kessel without him we had no proven backup he carried us through a lot of games.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Now Bob's gonna see a shrink to help him get over his playoff struggles

Outstanding

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/05/14/report-blue-jackets-bobrovsky-open-to-seeing-sports-psychologist-to-get-over-playoff-struggles/

According to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus-Dispatch, Bobrovsky and the Blue Jackets both agreed that his struggles in the playoffs are mental and that the goalie was “receptive” to the idea of either working with a sports psychologist, or doing “other types of mental training” to help get over those struggles.

More from the Dispatch:

“Sergei is devoted to excellence,” said Paul Theofanous, Bobrovsky’s agent. “Every year he looks at himself after the season and says, ‘What can I do better? What can I do smarter? How do I make myself more effective?’ He’s an incredibly driven player and person. Incredibly devoted.”

But nobody will say what that’s going to entail, mostly because they don’t want Bobrovsky’s struggles to become a constant topic of discussion.

Bobrovsky certainly wouldn’t be the first goalie in the NHL that has seen a sports psychologist. Pittsburgh Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury worked with one following the 2012-13 season following a disastrous postseason performance that saw him lose his starting job to Tomas Vokoun.

Washington Capitals goalie Braden Holtby, the reigning Vezina Trophy winner and a finalist again this season, referenced that he has worked with one, including during their second-round series against the Penguins this year.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Now Bob's gonna see a shrink to help him get over his playoff struggles

Outstanding

You may not have meant this as such but this is the type of statement that furthers the stigma against mental illness. He's talking to someone, in this case a psychologist, which is among the healthiest way to respond if he feels like something isn't right.

Last edited:

Fireball23

Mar 5, 2014
does it really matter?
Many times. MAF was the scapegoat for the Pens collapses. He started to see a sports psychologist after the collapse in 2013. The years preceding from about 2010 through 2013 where they couldn't get past the 1st or 2nd round under his goaltending.. He was right about the same age as Bob is now.

Also. He is a FRESH goalie when coming into the series with only playing in 38 games. Not a lot with sporadic games down the stretch.

Bob played 63 games plus how many in World Cup?

That's a lot of extra miles this season.

Maybe we'll see the same thing out of Bob. At least give him a year to get a sports psychologist to work with. Also get some more games with the others too. lighten the load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad