Sergei Bobrovsky - Top Cop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
And just exactly how has he violated/not fulfilled that.

Don't even say leaving the bench. NHL, AHL and ECHL goalies go to the locker room after getting yanked all the time. Some even throw sh%t when they're PO'd.
I don't know what he did to violate the team's policy / rules of behavior. But that is likely to be a no tolerance policy and have a set of events automatically trigger and over which leadership has little control.

If you do X, you will be suspended and you will have a meeting with leadership the following day. No if's and's or but's.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I don't know what he did to violate the team's policy / rules of behavior. But that is likely to be a no tolerance policy and have a set of events automatically trigger and over which leadership has little control.

If you do X, you will be suspended and you will have a meeting with leadership the following day. No if's and's or but's.

C'mon. It's a sports team. There is plenty of leeway in determining who is suspended for what.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The Ryan Johansen situation was not handled badly. The team had all of the leverage and rights when negotiating Johansen's contract. They had no reason to just give in to his demands and it would have been irresponsible for them to have done so.

Calling him and his agent extortionists falls under leverage and rights of the club? You are right that the club had all the leverage, and they had a right to hold out for their own deal they wanted (as johansen did too) but going public with their frustrations was a huge missplay by the club, and helped the “they are hard to negotiate with” label (which theyve earned) among players agents come to light. The Johansen situation was handled poorly, by both sides.

Reactions: CPTN71

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Calling him and his agent extortionists falls under leverage and rights of the club? You are right that the club had all the leverage, and they had a right to hold out for their own deal they wanted (as johansen did too) but going public with their frustrations was a huge missplay by the club, and helped the “they are hard to negotiate with” label (which theyve earned) among players agents come to light. The Johansen situation was handled poorly, by both sides.
I see no issue making the discussion public. Being hard to negotiate with isn't a good or bad thing. It is just a function of rights granted by the CBA.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I see no issue making the discussion public. Being hard to negotiate with isn't a good or bad thing. It is just a function of rights granted by the CBA.

And to add:

Kurt Overhardt has a reputation as being difficult to negotiate with as well. In either case, it's just what it is. The goodness or badness of said depends on your perspective.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Being that hard line drives your own players away, and keeps players from coming. And they’re hard line on their own RFA’s (Johansen, Anderson, Bobrovsky) but have no issue with paying top dollar for other teams’ RFA’s (Saad). That’s how you get people upset.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
And to add:

Kurt Overhardt has a reputation as being difficult to negotiate with as well. In either case, it's just what it is. The goodness or badness of said depends on your perspective.

Yes, but he never made his negotiations or offers public.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
How has he not fulfilled his contract?

Managing top level athletes is a skill with no similarities to managing every day working stiffs. Jarmo doesn't have it.

While one may argue that being from different parts of the world still doesnt mean that humans are genetically that different, the reality still is that "software" or cultural values and overall human development is something that differs greatly.

Torts and Jarmo are North Americans and are not supposed to know many cultural things; yet expecting top athletes to adapt their heads to a different mentality is for most humans too much to ask, hence Bob still walks around with lots of Russian "software" on him. Meaning that Bob may get misunderstood more than people think and he can get more offended that most people would think.

And its not just that; there is more to this: working with humans requires a lot of skills in psychology and patience. And Im not so sure this where these two guys shine as professionals

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Being that hard line drives your own players away, and keeps players from coming. And they’re hard line on their own RFA’s (Johansen, Anderson, Bobrovsky) but have no issue with paying top dollar for other teams’ RFA’s (Saad). That’s how you get people upset.
Refusing to pay players what they believe themselves to be worth does indeed drive players away - specifically those who believe they are worth more than what management values them at.

You could disagree with how this management group values players but that's different than saying they are hard to negotiate with.

Reactions: thebus88

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Torts and Jarmo are North Americans and are not supposed to know many cultural things; yet expecting top athletes to adapt their heads to a different mentality is for most humans too much to ask, hence Bob still walks around with lots of Russian "software" on him. Meaning that Bob may get misunderstood more than people think and he can get more offended that most people would think.

And its not just that; there is more to this: working with humans requires a lot of skills in psychology and patience. And Im not so sure this where these two guys shines as professionals

Great post.

Jarmo is a "my way or the highway" guy. His skillset in dealing with top athletes is abysmal. The cultural angle is probably well beyond him.

Torts is who he is. He's like the foreman (one of the worst jobs in the world, imo.). He's caught in the middle. Torts has rubbed a lot of players wrong, but he "gets" them, I have no doubt.

John Davidson, as always, is the teflon man in a CBJ crisis. He's the Team President. He hasn't exactly shone as a leader in the difficult situations. John, one playoff series victory, in 14 years as a Team Prez.

Reactions: Facifer

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
So which rule did he know that he was breaking?
What i find interesting that with Dubi situation the FO remained tight lipped, no comments from Jarmo. But here he's willingly discussing it all in public. Pulling him from tarmac to talk?! Personal insults were made?

But if it's only because he didn't return to the bench.... that's petty.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Great post.

Jarmo is a "my way or the highway" guy. His skillset in dealing with top athletes is abysmal. The cultural angle is probably well beyond him.

Torts is who he is. He's like the foreman (one of the worst jobs in the world, imo.). He's caught in the middle. Torts has rubbed a lot of players wrong, but he "gets" them, I have no doubt.

John Davidson, as always, is the teflon man in a CBJ crisis. He's the Team President. He hasn't exactly shone as a leader in the difficult situations. John, one playoff series victory, in 14 years as a Team Prez.

Im nearly certain that Bob is now lost and that whatever team he ends up playing for with have a great goalie for at least a few months. All that anger and bitterness Bob is carrying with him will be used to "prove" himself with some "in your face CBJ" attitude.. I know my kind too well.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
What i find interesting that with Dubi situation the FO remained tight lipped, no comments from Jarmo. But here he's willingly discussing it all in public. Pulling him from tarmac to talk?! Personal insults were made?

But if it's only because he didn't return to the bench.... that's petty.

That's an interesting observation.

I'm going to guess that words got VERY escalated between Bob and someone (Torts?). Probably just a verbal spat that got out of hand.

Bob may have had some (justified) residual resentments against Torts for being hung out to dry with 8 goals.

On a completely unrelated topic, do you have any insight on Vasili Glotov of the Cincinnati Cyclones (2016 7th rounder Buffalo)? Kid skates like the wind, but doesn't have much finish. Reminds me of Stanislav Chistov who was a high pick of Anaheim who also played in Cincinnati.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Im nearly certain that Bob is now lost and that whatever team he ends up playing for with have a great goalie for at least a few months. All that anger and bitterness Bob is carrying with him will be used to "prove" himself with some "in your face CBJ" attitude.. I know my kind too well.

No doubt.

Has both the money and all important FU to Jarmo motivations going now:laugh:

Reactions: Facifer

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
And just exactly how has he violated/not fulfilled that.

Don't even say leaving the bench. NHL, AHL and ECHL goalies go to the locker room after getting yanked all the time. Some even throw sh%t when they're PO'd.

You, nobody, publicly, even KNOWS what happened. Like before.

Reactions: CPTN71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad