Sergei Bobrovsky - Top Cop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The team can't pay playoff bonuses I don't think.
I agree with the Korpisallo thing. Could we not re-sign Bobrovsky to a similar deal to what he has now, and have his bonuses be for playoff performance? Make them much larger than normal? I don’t know.

Bonuses can only be placed in ELCs (entry level contracts) and 35+ (player age 35 and over) deals.

Zdeno Chara - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Jake DeBrusk - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
The thought came to me, if Bobrovsky stays in beast mode for the remainder of the season, and playoffs, and then signs elsewhere....and the Jackets open next season giving up 3+ goals every game, Bobrovsky will be well within his right to send Columbus the biggest "neener-neener" in the sporting history of the city.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
The thought came to me, if Bobrovsky stays in beast mode for the remainder of the season, and playoffs, and then signs elsewhere....and the Jackets open next season giving up 3+ goals every game, Bobrovsky will be well within his right to send Columbus the biggest "neener-neener" in the sporting history of the city.

Depends totally on what he signs for elsewhere if you ask me.. the last 4-5 years of that contract might dull the sting a bit, too :)

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018

Well they are both gambling here really.

What if this happens: what if Bob gets another Vezina and another meltdown in the PO. Like 0.88/4.5GA on average against lets say quite average/tired/aged Pitts?

Whats Bob's value going to be then?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Well they are both gambling here really.

What if this happens: what if Bob gets another Vezina and another meltdown in the PO. Like 0.88/4.5GA on average against lets say quite average/tired/aged Pitts?

Whats Bob's value going to be then?
I think it is almost inevitable that Bob will become the highest paid goalie in the league whether it be here or elsewhere.

I also think it is always a dicey proposition to commit $8+ million per year to a goalie long term.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
I think it is almost inevitable that Bob will become the highest paid goalie in the league whether it be here or elsewhere.

I also think it is always a dicey proposition to commit $8+ million per year to a goalie long term.

I doubt this. He is not getting Price money I think. Anything north of 8m would shock me UNLESS he proves himself in the PO this season. In a big way too!

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
I doubt this. He is not getting Price money I think. Anything north of 8m would shock me UNLESS he proves himself in the PO this season. In a big way too!

Even habs fans admit the price deal is a bad one. No way he gets that $$ from a team in UFA. On a long term deal, I think $8.5 is the max a team will offer. On a 3 year deal it might go up to $9.5

Reactions: Facifer

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Even habs fans admit the price deal is a bad one. No way he gets that $$ from a team in UFA. On a long term deal, I think $8.5 is the max a team will offer. On a 3 year deal it might go up to $9.5
Yep, which is why the jackets have walked away . Goalie is the worst position to dump a lot of money in, especially a goalie that will be 31 by the time his contract kicks in . Korpi , probably isn’t the answer. My bet is we sign a solid but cheap goalie in the offseason , or trade for one , and platoon him and Elvis next year . Maybe trade for a Carter Hutton type player .

Reactions: Facifer

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

I concur. But in your hypothetical I think the Jackets might be willing to pony up close to Price-esc numbers. If he beasts it out in the playoffs and the Jackets go on a run, I wouldn't doubt a 6 year extension for around 9.5 million. However, given his history, its tough to bank on that and I am still quite certain it is his last season here. I don't blame the team for maybe wanting to see what else is out there given Bob's age, contract status, and playoff performance history.

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
Goalie is the worst position to dump a lot of money in, especially a goalie that will be 31 by the time his contract kicks in

And not to mention, a goalie who relies on supreme athleticism and reflexes to be at the top of his game.
I'm a big Bob fan as I have him on my fantasy team and catch CBJ games here and there. It really is unreal some of the athletic saves bob can make.

However, the down side of that is that sprawling crazy leg save he made? Yeah, when you get into your mid 30's, that flexibility and quickness goes downhill fast. The goalies who are long lasting transition their games into very positionally sound (Luongo for example). So I'd be worried about injuries and a decline on a long term deal.

I concur. But in your hypothetical I think the Jackets might be willing to pony up close to Price-esc numbers. If he beasts it out in the playoffs and the Jackets go on a run, I wouldn't doubt a 6 year extension for around 9.5 million. However, given his history, its tough to bank on that and I am still quite certain it is his last season here. I don't blame the team for maybe wanting to see what else is out there given Bob's age, contract status, and playoff performance history.

I don't hate it if he brings you to the conference finals. If he shows some playoff success for once those questions are answered and you see a guy who can win a cup, depending on the team around him. I think that 6 years becomes problematic though in the last 2 years of that deal.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Sergei Bobrovsky will not be with team against Nashville

"There are certain expectations and values that we have established for our players that define our culture," said Kekalainen. "An incident occurred in which Sergei failed to meet those expectations and values, so we made the decision that he would not be with the team for tonight's game. This is an internal matter and we will have no further comment at this time."

jaxfan45385

Oct 29, 2007
Sergei Bobrovsky will not be with team against Nashville

"There are certain expectations and values that we have established for our players that define our culture," said Kekalainen. "An incident occurred in which Sergei failed to meet those expectations and values, so we made the decision that he would not be with the team for tonight's game. This is an internal matter and we will have no further comment at this time."

What about Torts.... Larsen.... Why don't they get sent away (for more than a day tho)?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yep, which is why the jackets have walked away . Goalie is the worst position to dump a lot of money in, especially a goalie that will be 31 by the time his contract kicks in . Korpi , probably isn’t the answer. My bet is we sign a solid but cheap goalie in the offseason , or trade for one , and platoon him and Elvis next year . Maybe trade for a Carter Hutton type player .

I wouldn't scare about the amount of money, but TERM is the thing. Nobody should offer never ever ever more than 3 years term for any goaltender.

Long-term value can change so fast on goaltending position, that shorter contract length limit for goalies would be nice on next CBA.

Reactions: The Bread Man

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
He's got a full NMC ... so just shipping him out isn't so easy.

I'm betting things get smoothed out, tabled, whatever... and he finishes the year in Columbus. Just my hunch.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
Columbus seems intent on running Bob out of town.
Killing my fantasy team lol...

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
He's got a full NMC ... so just shipping him out isn't so easy.

I'm betting things get smoothed out, tabled, whatever... and he finishes the year in Columbus. Just my hunch.
My sense is Bob would waive his NMC to get away from what seems to be a miserable situation for him.

Reactions: thebus88

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Was the team rule "don't give up a bunch of goals?"
I would imagine after he got lit up again against top competition in Tampa, and was pulled after the 4th goal, he stormed off the ice, didnt stop at the bench, went to the dressing room. Probably has to stem from that. What happened after, who knows. The #cbj probably expected this to happen, afterall, Bob has shown he folds when the pressure ramps up, and they made this season a Show Me Why Your Worth It season. Seems like a good enough guy, I hope whereever he ends up, he has success.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
This season is a drama filled mess. This team isn't going anywhere close to the playoffs, let alone a postseason round win, with this much drama following it. There are some things you can manage (Foligno situation) and there is these situations with Bobrovsky and Panarin.

There comes a point of no return, and I think we're there with Bobrovsky.

I don't know what happened but its serious enough to warrant a suspension. A once good soldier, and incredibly hard worker has been a malcontent this year beginning with the missed meeting/practice he had in training camp. It's a shame to see, and the blunt of the blame must be put on Bobrovsky (at least, with what is known) for how he handled the situation. Although Panarin hasn't been perfect, he's been worlds better than Bob in the handling of this UFA season, and if Panarin had acted like Bobrovsky I don't have any doubts that the same measures would have been taken . Maybe Bob feels spurned by the front office, city, and coaching staff for publicly lobbying to sign Panarin since the summer but nothing really to him even after all we've been through, and all his personal and the teams successes. I don't know, but its really sad to see. However, in saying all that I must be fair and say between Rick Nash, Johansen, Calvert, and now Bob, this organization has a knack for annoying and driving away players. It's a shame it happened to the best player in franchise history, but here we are.

It's time to trade Bobrovsky. End the charade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->