Sergei Bobrovsky - Top Cop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
John Cooper, former buckeyes coach, elite players, had the best team in the country multiple times during his tenure, yet 2-10-1 vs Michigan...... former players said the coach got so tense, uptight during Michigan week, it carried over to his players, of trying to play the perfect game, rather than their game. Anyone trying to discount the pshychlogical aspect that occurs in sports, is clueless. Fact of the Matter, hes a total different player in the playoffs , then he is during the regular season, so the front office, rightfully so, have asked him to see a sports psychologist. Bob has refused. He may not like that hes in the situation hes in, but his record is, what it is. Seems the team was interested in trying to help Bob take his game to the next level, but hes refused. So why would you, as the Gm, want to invest an absurd amount of money in him. He will be traded soon, and someone elses problem. The jackets dont need a top $ goalie anymore. Bring in a solid goalie, that has had some results in the playoffs, take the 6-7 mill you save in not over paying Bob, and get a player like Stone. We need more top end talent, and thats before bread possibly leaves.

Bob actually was receptive to the idea in 2017, agreeing that he could be better and his mental state might have been a factor. It was after the last POs he didn't feel that way, and I don't blame him. Because I thought he was fine.

Reactions: major major

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
You can look at it this way. I'll admit to your take on his post season play to be a possibility. I just can't look at it as a probability.

FWIW, if he shakes his playoff blues, I won't be completely shocked. I just can't attribute his post season performance to the factors which you do.

I'll also add that it appears that you completely discount any psychological angle about Bob's performances or that you don't believe that "pressure" is a valid concept. I can't speak for anyone else, but I have had pressure situations where I've let the situation get to me and my performance was miserable. I don't see why it's a stretch to think that some players have problems performing when the pressure is the greatest. After 19 games of mostly poor performances, I think that it's more than likely that something is going on in Bob's head that isn't during the regular season.
I admit it is a possibility, I just don't think it is the most likely explanation and that we may need to rule out other more likely explanations before that is what we settle on.
Granted the front office is privy to more information. If they knew that, for instance, Bob couldn't sleep the entire week of the playoffs that would change everything.

Steve Mason is a prime example of a goaltender who had issues with the mental side of the position and it affected his entire career.

That said, we also agree that if Bob wants an 8×10 contract he should have more playoff success than he has had. He may or may not be a playoff liability, but he certainly isn't a playoff savior and that is what I would need to see to warrant that contract.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
All this talk of sample size has led away from the best arguments in Bob's defense. It's not that his weaker playoff performance is attributable to pure random variation, it might I don't know. I think it's possible that Bob did have an issue in previous playoffs with putting too much pressure on himself to carry the team. He wasn't on teams that were given much of a chance. The most recent playoff performance was markedly better, and he showed some steely nerves in his overtime play. The overall save percentage isn't good, but as has been pointed out that's an omitted variable issue (PK time+strength of opponent). Perhaps Bob has fixed whatever the issue was. I don't see why playoff series from many years ago are given so much weight against him. I'd sooner just re-watch the series from last Spring.

That's just one possibility, but I'm not even going to presume that Bob had an issue to begin with. We don't talk about Bob's performance in international tournaments, but he had a .950 in the Olympics, a .930 in the World Cup, and a similar combined World Championship sv%. I hear Russians put international play up there with playing for the Cup.

None of this is intended as an argument for paying Bob $10m+. I merely argue that Bob's play should be taken all-together and playoff performances from years ago should not be given special weight.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Bob actually was receptive to the idea in 2017, agreeing that he could be better and his mental state might have been a factor. It was after the last POs he didn't feel that way, and I don't blame him. Because I thought he was fine.
I don't think we know the full story behind the sports psychologist, but if they wanted him to go the year prior, as well, why didn't he go ? Also, a playoff series where you give up over 3 goals a game, and your save % of .90 hardly eases concerns of his body of work 5-14 record .891 save % and a 3.49 gaa. In fact, he was just, marginally better. If your demanding Carey Price money, and your employer is asking you to do something they feel will benefit your career, and you turn your nose up at it, most likely that employer isn't going to want to have anything to do with signing another contract, especially at the crazy value Bob appears to want. And in my mind, here we are in the regular season, the pressure is on for him to show what hes made of, and hes crapped the bed once again, similar to the playoffs. You cant tell me the mental side isn't impairing his performances.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I don't think we know the full story behind the sports psychologist, but if they wanted him to go the year prior, as well, why didn't he go ? Also, a playoff series where you give up over 3 goals a game, and your save % of .90 hardly eases concerns of his body of work 5-14 record .891 save % and a 3.49 gaa. In fact, he was just, marginally better. If your demanding Carey Price money, and your employer is asking you to do something they feel will benefit your career, and you turn your nose up at it, most likely that employer isn't going to want to have anything to do with signing another contract, especially at the crazy value Bob appears to want. And in my mind, here we are in the regular season, the pressure is on for him to show what hes made of, and hes crapped the bed once again, similar to the playoffs. You cant tell me the mental side isn't impairing his performances.

It's interesting you start off admitting we don't know the full story (we know next to nothing), then go on assuming that he didn't go. How do you know he didn't?

I'm also not saying he's worth ten million a year; I'm saying he wasn't crap in the playoffs last year and to say he should have seen a psychologist as a result of that performance is silly. And I support him in saying so.

Also, yes I can tell you the mental side isn't impairing his performance since that's what I'm doing right now. You don't have to agree.

Reactions: Viqsi

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's interesting you start off admitting we don't know the full story (we know next to nothing), then go on assuming that he didn't go. How do you know he didn't?

It was reported in March I believe that he didn't go to a sports psychologist. Bob has a big staff of his own and works very hard. My assumption is that they handle the mental side of things, and that he has his own gurus. The fact that Bob acknowledged he had work to do (in Spring 2017) was enough for me, it showed he would address the problems. His precise method is up to him.

I'm also not saying he's worth ten million a year; I'm saying he wasn't crap in the playoffs last year and to say he should have seen a psychologist as a result of that performance is silly. And I support him in saying so.

Bob showed mental strength in that series. People are unfairly lumping it in with prior years performances.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
And in my mind, here we are in the regular season, the pressure is on for him to show what hes made of, and hes crapped the bed once again, similar to the playoffs.

This is shoehorning a narrative if I've ever seen it. It's December, you can't tell me this is high pressure hockey. It doesn't remotely compare to playoff overtime or the Olympics, where Bob has shown mental strength.

Reactions: Viqsi

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
This is shoehorning a narrative if I've ever seen it. It's December, you can't tell me this is high pressure hockey. It doesn't remotely compare to playoff overtime or the Olympics, where Bob has shown mental strength.
Which is more likely: Bob's play fluctuates in quality like everyone else's or he is a mental midget who can't get over the fact that it is the playoffs or a contract year?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Which is more likely: Bob's play fluctuates in quality like everyone else's or he is a mental midget who can't get over the fact that it is the playoffs or a contract year?
Find an example of another goalie who started out as poorly as Bob has in the first 19 playoff games and then turned it around.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
It was reported in March I believe that he didn't go to a sports psychologist. Bob has a big staff of his own and works very hard. My assumption is that they handle the mental side of things, and that he has his own gurus. The fact that Bob acknowledged he had work to do (in Spring 2017) was enough for me, it showed he would address the problems. His precise method is up to him.

Bob showed mental strength in that series. People are unfairly lumping it in with prior years performances.

I will happily stand corrected, but I haven't seen a single report that definitively says whether he did or did not see a psychologist. And to be clear, I don't think it's that important either way. I like pointing out BM's inconsistencies and contradictories, especially when they can be found within a single post or sentence.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Yeah he was terrible but has since been a lot better.

And he is the most expensive goalie.
I think it is fair to point out that he was only 22 when he played his 19th playoff game. And I think it's fair to say that playing in Montreal is just a little bit more of a pressure cooker than the capitol of Ohio.:laugh:

I'm honestly surprised about this. Since then, he's had a 2.29 gaa and .922 save percentage. Bob's got something to shoot for.

NHL.com - Stats

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
The most recent playoff performance was markedly better, and he showed some steely nerves in his overtime play. I'd sooner just re-watch the series from last Spring.

"Steely nerves"....??

More like glove made of steel.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I can't help but notice that the title of that video starts with "Multiple lucky bounces".

I’m sure if you asked bus to assess the loss to Vancouver, that phrasing might come up. Also coincidentally korpisalo was in net.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I can't help but notice that the title of that video starts with "Multiple lucky bounces".

Great. Its a terrible rebound in a pressure situation in a game we should have won. The "multiple lucky bounces" occur after Bobby drops the puck softly into the slot.

I’m sure if you asked bus to assess the loss to Vancouver, that phrasing might come up. Also coincidentally korpisalo was in net.

Who's talking about Korpisalo?? Oh, you are, ok. I'll join.

Well I believe you made the comment that that 3rd goal against Van was the reason Korpisalo cant or isn't ready to be the starter....

What makes that goal any different from goal 1 vs Anaheim that Bobby let in from the corner?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Great. Its a terrible rebound in a pressure situation in a game we should have won. The "multiple lucky bounces" occur after Bobby drops the puck softly into the slot.

Who's talking about Korpisalo?? Oh, you are, ok. I'll join.

Well I believe you made the comment that that 3rd goal against Van was the reason Korpisalo cant or isn't ready to be the starter....

What makes that goal any different from goal 1 vs Anaheim that Bobby let in from the corner?

Nothing. Both are inexcusable. However, Bobrovsky's history shows he is more likely than not to make that save the next time. Can't say that about Korpisalo. Both have been pretty bad, aside from Bobrovsky's November and two or three of Korpisalo's first few starts, all season. They need to be better and the defense does too. But that Ducks goal and Canuck goal shouldn't go in.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I'm exhausted just reading this. At this point I just want to win and its became obvious to me that Korpisalo just isn't ready to be 'The Man' full time (as much as myself and some others on here want him to be), so we've gotta ride Bob the rest of the season.

Here's to hoping 2019 brings this "issue" to an happy and agreeable end. ;)

Reactions: Cowumbus

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I'm exhausted just reading this. At this point I just want to win and its became obvious to me that Korpisalo just isn't ready to be 'The Man' full time (as much as myself and some others on here want him to be), so we've gotta ride Bob the rest of the season.

Here's to hoping 2019 brings this "issue" to an happy and agreeable end. ;)
I agree with the Korpisallo thing. Could we not re-sign Bobrovsky to a similar deal to what he has now, and have his bonuses be for playoff performance? Make them much larger than normal? I don’t know.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I don't think Bob has played himself out of the starting role here despite this season and the playoffs.

But he might very well price himself out.

Also, unclear how Ian Clark leaving has impacted Korpi and Bob.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I agree with the Korpisallo thing. Could we not re-sign Bobrovsky to a similar deal to what he has now, and have his bonuses be for playoff performance? Make them much larger than normal? I don’t know.

The team can't pay playoff bonuses I don't think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->