Sergei Bobrovsky - Top Cop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I wish to state my objections to this decision for the record.

tenor.gif

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
I was thinking that if Bob can hold his shit then the entire team will thrive as a result. With hopefully lots of noise in the PO as consequence.

Defense AND offense will surely play better if they know that the goaltender has got their backs.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Just don't click the thread my dude

So it's unrealistic to expect (or just hope) a conversation to evolve into something that hasn't been discussed ad nauseum? Additionally there really isn't any benefit to posting his latest splits. I'll keep hoping for fresh perspectives and everyone is free to keep telling me not to read posts and/or threads or if I do to keep my comments to myself.

Bob is doing what Bob does. The front office hasn't done squat about our goalie situation beyond drafting. If Bob wants to stay we're facing a contract that really shouldn't be given, it will put our franchise at risk. Not offering him that contract will also put our franchise at risk. When Bob gets hot Torts will pretend Korp doesn't exist.

The real screw up(s) are in the front office and the coaching staff. Snafu. Cheers.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
So it's unrealistic to expect (or just hope) a conversation to evolve into something that hasn't been discussed ad nauseum? Additionally there really isn't any benefit to posting his latest splits. I'll keep hoping for fresh perspectives and everyone is free to keep telling me not to read posts and/or threads or if I do to keep my comments to myself.

Bob is doing what Bob does. The front office hasn't done squat about our goalie situation beyond drafting. If Bob wants to stay we're facing a contract that really shouldn't be given, it will put our franchise at risk. Not offering him that contract will also put our franchise at risk. When Bob gets hot Torts will pretend Korp doesn't exist.

The real screw up(s) are in the front office and the coaching staff. Snafu. Cheers.

What should the FO do about our goalie situation other than try to draft quality replacements? You've identified a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation.

Reactions: Viqsi

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
What should the FO do about our goalie situation other than try to draft quality replacements? You've identified a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation.

It really kind of is a damned if you do, damen if you don't situation though isn't it?
Most people agree that Price was overpaid. Price makes 2M more thank Hank who makes 1M more than Bob. If you just go with that, shouldn't Bob be making more since he's been one of the best if not the best goalies over the last three years (RS)?It's been an era lacking transcendant goalie tenders but filled with lots of good ones (many with streaks). We came off an era of Roy, Brodeur, and Hasek - we're not going to top that. But that begs the question should these lesser guys make the same % of team salary as those HOFers did?

I don't know. It hard to compare since they were pre-cap. And hockey isn't baseball where you can calculate WAR nicely to value an individual player's contribution.
I don't think paying Bob in the 8-9M range is unreasonable given how good he has been year to year (RS). Sure there are cold streaks, but the overall numbers show those are jsut that - streaks.

The real trick is to find an RFA that is ready to be a good player that can get hot (Jones for example, but even Jones looked to be getting run out of town by Dell) and pay them less. The problem with that approach is you generally don't get that year to year consistency (again, look at Jones).

So taking our issue here, you:
Try to negotaite Bob to something reasonable $ and duration. If that doesn't work...
Try to identify a replacement (personally not Korpi yet).... maybe Dell, Subban, Varly (bridge?)

There's a definite drop off there from Bob. Then you have to fix how the team plays in front of him (so they play like the first half of the 2nd period in Dallas all the time).
Does that work? I don't know. We give up a lot of high danger chances.

Reactions: major major

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

There is the FA market as well as the trade market. Boston picked up Halak, even with Rask with good numbers. A few decent goalies have moved around in the last few seasons. If Torts wasn't going to give Korp a real chance we should have looked around the league. It is what it is.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
There is the FA market as well as the trade market. Boston picked up Halak, even with Rask with good numbers. A few decent goalies have moved around in the last few seasons. If Torts wasn't going to give Korp a real chance we should have looked around the league. It is what it is.

Fair enough. Still time to do that if that's the path they deem most prudent for the immediate future. Seems like the drafting goalies replacement plan will likely work out in the longer term, though. That's why I'm not too worried about inaction on this front now. Agree, it is what it is.

Reactions: thebus88

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
The value of having an number one goalkeeper job opening is quite high in the NHL. The most important signing goaltending-wise then is the goaltending coach which has been so neglected under Jarmo Kekäläinen's reign that you begin to question did Keklu on his travels notice the recent golden age phenomenon in Finnish goaltending training. Urpo Ylönen for Turun Palloseura meant having Kiprusoff, Norrena and Niittymäki as wicket sentinels while Jussi Parkkila (currently of Colorado Avalanche) first honed Tuukka Rask in Tampereen Ilves and then made Bobrovski a Vezina winner in Pietarin SKA. Kekäläinen meanwhile let world class coaching talent join rivals Colorado Avalanche during his watch.

SM-liiga minnows, Saimaan Pallo; the Miracle of the East, the Sputniks, the Giant of the East, did not rank at the absolute top of the Eurasian ice hockey pyramid in the early 2000's so the city of humppa, the city of small-leaved limes club had to find a new quality goaltender almost every season as more attractive clubs would sign their talent as is the normal in a non-communist continent wide league system. So they went from Jussi Markkanen to Nicklas Bäckström to Jarmo Myllys to Rob Zepp to Iiro Tarkki while all in the continuum expect Tomas Duba would play in the NHL or had played there like 1995 world champion Myllys earlier on. Markkanen and Bäckström would win the Urpo Ylönen award for best goaltender in SM-liiga twice in the future, similar to Kari Lehtonen, Tim Thomas or Miikka Kiprusoff or so far one time winners such as Antti Raanta or Veini Vehviläinen.

Elvis Merzlikins and Vehviläinen have fine Eurasian CV's unlike Joonas Korpisalo who is a name only through his legendary father Jari Korppi Korpisalo of Porin Ässät. Younger Korpisalo so far has one full adequote SM-liiga under his belt and few meltings when awarded the position to lead Lake Erie Monsters or Finnish World Championship team while Merzlikins and Vehviläinen have been able to play at the top echelon for Eurasian ice hockey pyramid clubs. It does not make them surefire generational talents similar to Lehtonen, Rask or Saros but surely adequote to be attempted if there is an opening.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Portzline posted an article outlining which Blue Jackets could get traded this year (seems like other Athletic writers are doing it too) Anyway, here is what he says about Bobrovsky:

Almost untouchable
Sergei Bobrovsky — The Blue Jackets are almost certain to keep him through the trade deadline and into the offseason, because to trade him now — with apologies to Joonas Korpisalo — is to mail in the rest of the season. The Jackets feel like they have far more leverage in contract talks with Bobrovsky than with Panarin. How many clubs can afford a $10 million-plus goaltender? How many can fit one under their salary cap? Would Bobrovsky chase an eight-figure payday to play for the Islanders? The options next summer might not be so sexy. The only reason he’s not listed among the “untouchables” is because there are certain realities in this business. If the Blue Jackets fall to pieces and Kekalainen gets a ridiculous offer for Bobrovsky, he’d have to listen. And Bobrovsky, with a full no-move clause, would have to approve any trade before Kekalainen could send him packing.

Portzline: A list of which Blue Jackets are likely to be...

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I think the biggest problem with Bob will be the length of contract he seeks. If it was just 3 years, I bet we could work something out fairly quickly. But from Bob's perspective, and at his age, this is probably the time to strike for that last big deal, maybe 5 or 6 years at a hefty price. I don't see Jarmo buying into that.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Doesn't seem to much news on Bob's situation. I'm of the thinking that both he and the CBJ are looking at the UFA route being the probable outcome. It's going to be interesting to see if the $10M mark will be a final price on him given the apparent implosion of Carey Price post lottery contract.

Last edited by a moderator:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
My hope is that whatever the result of the meeting results in quick action whether that be signing, sign and trade or acknowledgement that Panarin will play it out to UFA. No need for a Taveres-like mystery showcase.

Doesn't seem to much news on Bob's situation. I'm of the thinking that both he and the CBJ are looking at the UFA route being the probable outcome. It's going to be interesting to see if the $10M mark will be a final price on him given the apparent implosion of Carey Price post lottery contract.
According to Porty, who lets admit, knows very little, but he was on the radio yesterday and said that Bob was deeply offended that Jarmo suggest he see a sports pshchologist, because of his playoff performances. Jarmo told him, like his body, the same goes with your mind , that your constantly working to be the best pro you can be. This sent Bob off the deep end, which I can only speculate, became a situation where Bob most likely Bad mouthed the organization to Panarin. Knowing we know now Bob skipped the summer meeting, and Panarins 180 attitute change on playing in Columbus.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
According to Porty, who lets admit, knows very little, but he was on the radio yesterday and said that Bob was deeply offended that Jarmo suggest he see a sports pshchologist, because of his playoff performances. Jarmo told him, like his body, the same goes with your mind , that your constantly working to be the best pro you can be. This sent Bob off the deep end, which I can only speculate, became a situation where Bob most likely Bad mouthed the organization to Panarin. Knowing we know now Bob skipped the summer meeting, and Panarins 180 attitute change on playing in Columbus.

All this makes sense:

1. Russians are not big on therapy - Old school Russian thinking is that you are weak if you go to see a therapist of any kind. This would explain Bob's reaction.

2. Bob at around $9 or $10 million is not worth it in my opinion - Columbus has plenty of good goalie prospects coming up and a goalie over 30 years of age at that price is not a smart move (see: Lundqvist). If Bob truly is upset with Columbus that is even more reason not to re-sign him.

3. It would be very hard to re-sign both Panarin and Bob, not to mention really expensive - The Jackets are better off focusing on Panarin (who is only 27 and their best forward) and locking him up long term. If they can do it before he hits free agency, that would help of course.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018

I knew it!! and all of you laughed at me when I pin pointed this as a theory a few weeks ago, purely based on me knowing my countrymens culture.

Reactions: thebus88

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I knew it!! and all of you laughed at me when I pin pointed this as a theory a few weeks ago, purely based on me knowing my countrymens culture.

This never happened.

You're also far from the first to point out that Bob is pissed at the org about playoff performance / suggestion he see a shrink. We've filled pages on the topic. I was arguing, I think during training camp, that Bob is more pissed that he's taking the blame for the playoff failure, when it's clear the team hung him out to dry with 28 penalties and near-constant odd man rushes.

After the 2017 playoffs Bob was advised to see a sports psychologist, and he was receptive to it. He admitted his performance was subpar.

This year his reaction isn't so much "I'm mentally competent, I don't need to see a psychologist" - it's "I was actually good in the playoffs, I don't need to see a psychologist". And if you look closely, he's right!

Reactions: Facifer

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Here's his quote from the night the team was eliminated:

“I can’t control lots of things around me," said Bobrovsky, a two time Vezina Trophy award winner. "The only thing I can control (is) myself, you know? After this season, I completely disagree if anybody will say that I need a psychologist.”

It's different After this season because he played well.

Reactions: Facifer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad