Sergei Bobrovsky - Top Cop

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Habs fan here. Just want to say as someone who witnessed Price's amazing season in 15, this is one helluva season that Bob is having. I always get excited when I see goaltenders playing out of their mind and I hope Bob can steal the Hart from one of the forwards because he deserves it.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
And no, Chicago's Cup win was not the same as a team that played an entire 82 game schedule. You deal with different wear and tear, different injuries, etc. Winning a half marathon isn't anything like winning a full one.

....psssttt....everyone was running a half marathon....:help:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Anecdotal evidence suggests that Bob has the heaviest workload out of all of the top candidates. So I ran the #s. People probably want something more conclusive but even 1 shot average more a game over approx. 60 games is a good indicator of the difference in the strength of a teams defensive support. In addition, the higher the shot number, the higher the quality of shots is a safe assumption to make.

Shots/60 minutes

Bob 30.25
Dubi 29.30
Price 29.21
Holtby 27.50

In addition, the Metorpolitan division has highest goals for by a wide margin, further evidence to stronger offensive threats faced on the nightly, on average.

Just some food for thought, his GAA and SVP are obvious and impressive, but when you look deeper those stats are amplified.

I don't trust the first bolded point, I think we need to use shot location charts to check it.

The second point I agree with, and I'm surprised it hasn't come up more. The top offenses are in the division - it's supposed to be a goalie nightmare.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't trust the first bolded point, I think we need to use shot location charts to check it.

The second point I agree with, and I'm surprised it hasn't come up more. The top offenses are in the division - it's supposed to be a goalie nightmare.

I think a lot of times our shots against numbers are somewhat inflated. The jackets seem to do a decent job of forcing shots from low danger areas. Which I'd let Bob take all day every day while doing a good job at keeping high risk shots to a minimum which also shows in the low blocked shots total. No need to block a shot from a low danger area if you know Bob is going to save it if he can see it.

When players go down to block a shot they're blocking the goalie from being able to see the puck, if only for a split second. But that's more than enough if it gets through or deflects off the defender.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Holtby got blown out last night vs. Arizona. He gave up 6 goals.

I think that it's all over but the shouting for the Vezina.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Does everyone think that Bob gets the start in the next two against WAS and PIT?

Would assume so since we are in a battle for home ice. I wish we had that wrapped so the Pens wouldn't get another look at Bob until playoff game one.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Does everyone think that Bob gets the start in the next two against WAS and PIT?

I think that Bob will play 3 of the last 5 games. He'll play against Washington, Pittsburgh and Toronto and Korpi will play against Winnipeg and Philadelphia. I think the strategy should be two fold. One it keeps Bob sharp against playoff competition and two, it gives him a bit of rest before the playoff run begins.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think that Bob will play 3 of the last 5 games. He'll play against Washington, Pittsburgh and Toronto and Korpi will play against Winnipeg and Philadelphia. I think the strategy should be two fold. One it keeps Bob sharp against playoff competition and two, it gives him a bit of rest before the playoff run begins.
My thoughts exactly

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Don't even try to reason... :shakehead

Ahh Nordique.... You never fail to disappoint. i wasn't comparing goalies from that season, I was comparing Bob's resume that season against other goal tenders that have won the trophy in the modern era. That really easy distinction seems lost on most. It should be easy to understand, even if you don't agree with it. He wasn't debating the same thing. DSL seemed to notice that. Objectivity to fans seems to be impossible to ask for, it's one of the reasons I try (don't always succeed) in getting to close to our players.

I can't think of an argument that someone could make that could move my position. It's not being stubborn, I just can't find any evidence to change it. I try and always look at both sides of an argument. I've already conceded that if he wins it this season it will be well deserved. I like Bob, but I have some issues with past consistency (health and play) and that I feel we overpaid for him.

What I'm most curious to see now, with Bob, is the off season. The rest of the season was window dressing.

The rest of the team really isn't playing well enough to go far in the playoffs right now. We will be leaning heavily on Bob.

Last edited:

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Okay Bob.........looking forward to seeing you do that thing you do!!

major major

Feb 18, 2013
He wasn't good.

But I also can't stand this idea of "playoff Bob". We've got a sample size issue here. And as we saw in the World Cup, Bob does not generally wilt under pressure, quite the opposite.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Comments about 'playoffs Bob' are in multiple threads right now, but thought I'd post my reply here.

His playoff record is crap but I'm not as worried about him being a choker as others are here. He's handled himself fine on the international stage and I think playing for your country in a sudden-death game is probably at least as much, and likely more, pressure than any first-round playoff game.

I think the issue for him is that he is a 'groove' goalie. When he is in the groove, he can be a top 3 goalie in the league (sometimes top period). But when he gets out that groove, look out. It's like he's trying so hard to find his way back, that he starts overplaying shots, leading to him being out of position and questioning his angles.

I'm not passing the blame for him, but I hope the team as a whole learns from the results from the end of the regular season. As those losses started to pile up, you could see Bob's supreme confidence slowly fading. While the players might think they can just switch it on come playoff time, that is not something that seems to work for Bob.

I personally believe that if the playoffs had started after 72 games, rather than 82, Bob would have been fine. In other words, I don't think that Bob is going to always be bad in the playoffs, which is a good thing. Next year, the team can't take their foot off the gas and coast through the end of season after they clinch - they need to realize the importance of finishing strong and coming in with momentum and with Bob's confidence in full swing.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
As expected, Bob nominated for Vezina. Holtby and Price are the other nominees.

Interesting, but not surprising based on the last month, Dubnyk is not a finalist after many thought him the likely Vezina winner for much of the season.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I'm not happy with playoff Bob..... To be honest he's not good in the post season.... This time he went 4.2 goals against after 5 games, that folks is about as bad as it gets for a playoff series goalie...

I'm not saying trade him but if he can't reproduce in the playoffs what he does during the regular season what's the point???

Our playoff defense was not the best but of the 21 or so goals he gave up in five games I saw 12 that any top NHL goal tender could have stopped...

The CBJ needs another proven veteran goalie to push Bobrovsky....

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I'm not happy with playoff Bob..... To be honest he's not good in the post season.... This time he went 4.2 goals against after 5 games, that folks is about as bad as it gets for a playoff series goalie...

I'm not saying trade him but if he can't reproduce in the playoffs what he does during the regular season what's the point???

Our playoff defense was not the best but of the 21 or so goals he gave up in five games I saw 12 that any top NHL goal tender could have stopped...

The CBJ needs another proven veteran goalie to push Bobrovsky....

I'm not gonna lie, if we make the PO next year with Bob in net, I'm gonna be skeptical that he can get it done. Hopefully he proves me wrong, but PO Bob reminds me a lot of Mason towards the end where once one gets by him, an avalanche of goals follow.

If we make the PO's and Bob struggles again, no way can you resign him to a big time contract IMO. Either one of the kids needs to develop, or you get a suitable veteran and use Bob's salary to fill other needs and have a go of it. Bob would have to have some trade value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->