Sergei Bobrovsky - Top Cop

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Our power play, led by Coach Brad Larsen, going something like 1 for 20 in the series might have also had something to do with as well.
The powerplay was actually 4/8 in the first two games, and then 0/17 after that. So yeah, the powerplay was a problem, but if the Caps didn't have 25+ PP's plus a major (unfounded as it was) in which they scored twice, we probably would have won the series.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I like how Bob bad numbers in 17 PO games with this club spreaded through 5 years, means he's a failure. but Korpisalo awful stats in 18 games in one year, means he needs to play more and he's a starter material. Logic!

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
The powerplay was actually 4/8 in the first two games, and then 0/17 after that. So yeah, the powerplay was a problem, but if the Caps didn't have 25+ PP's plus a major (unfounded as it was) in which they scored twice, we probably would have won the series.

Keywords were 'something like' ... bottom line is, the sudden drought in games 3-6 really hurt us.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's not, I don't think, that anyone's forgotten. It's that we, while not holding him responsible, were still disappointed the team lost the way it did, and Bob was a part of that.

And now there's this apparent rift and concern over how much he might want to get paid and it's easy to fall back on "playoff Bob" as a way to tip the scales in the debate over whether or not the team should pay him.

I know why the topic has come up. But folks here really have forgotten how he played. If they remembered they wouldn't have started saying he was bad in the playoffs.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I like how Bob bad numbers in 17 PO games with this club spreaded through 5 years, means he's a failure. but Korpisalo awful stats in 18 games in one year, means he needs to play more and he's a starter material. Logic!
No people, myself included, saw how well Korpi did when Bob was out and know he has potential beyond being a backup.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I know why the topic has come up. But folks here really have forgotten how he played. If they remembered they wouldn't have started saying he was bad in the playoffs.

Disagree. It's that they remember how he's played not just in the most recent playoffs. And they're trying to figure out for themselves whether they think the team should pay him or not. And more recently there's this apparent rift, so we're looking for justification.

It's a tough question, trying to figure if his improved-but-we-still-lost performance is enough to convince.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
No people, myself included, saw how well Korpi did when Bob was out and know he has potential beyond being a backup.
So Korpi still has potential despite 2 years of subpar performance, but Bob in PO is a lost case.

Sigh... i need to avoid this thread. I hope Bob leaves and will live happily ever after with different team.

Reactions: We Want Ten

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
So Korpi still has potential despite 2 years of subpar performance, but Bob in PO is a lost case.

Sigh... i need to avoid this thread. I hope Bob leaves and will live happily ever after with different team.
Who says lost cause ? Up to this point, you could clearly say, he hasnt shown the mental capacity to handle the pressure in the playoffs. Hence, why you dont cripple your team, paying a goalie 10-11 mill per season, when you can get a goalie thats won actual an actual Stanley Cup, for around $4.5 mill. Not to mention , strapping your team, where if that one player is hurt, your dealing with just a pretty mediocre team on offense, with a great defensive core. Not sure whats so hard about this concept. Can Bob turn it around ? Possibly. But the Cbj wont be stupid enough to pay him 10-11 mill waiting to find out. And yes, Korpi still has potential. In case you didnt notice, the #cbj got rid of Bobs goalie coach, without consulting him. That may give you some insight as to what they felt was Korpis issue, and almost certainly points to the fact they were moving on from Bob.

Reactions: thebus88

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
After that series I don't remember anyone on here blaming Bob for it. It was obvious at the time that it wasn't his fault. He stole us a game and was heroic in game 3, played decently until the third of game 6.

A few months later, barely anyone remembers how he played. People are just looking at his base save percentage, without context, without memory.

I'm afraid it's you who lacks context. Save (pun intended) for a few games here and there, Bob has been a bad post season goalie. There's no getting around his woeful save percentages (even this season he was 10/11 of all goalies who played at least 5 games in save%) or ghastly GAA.

I hope that this changes this post season, but trying to state the case that Bob has been even OK for his overall post season performances is an impossible take. My hat is off for you for your steadfast efforts to do so, but even Sisyphus had an easier task.

Reactions: thebus88

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm afraid it's you who lacks context. Save (pun intended) for a few games here and there, Bob has been a bad post season goalie. There's no getting around his woeful save percentages (even this season he was 10/11 of all goalies who played at least 5 games in save%) or ghastly GAA.

I hope that this changes this post season, but trying to state the case that Bob has been even OK for his overall post season performances is an impossible take. My hat is off for you for your steadfast efforts to do so, but even Sisyphus had an easier task.

This post is exactly what I'm talking about, blindly reiterating raw stats without memory or context. Not separating 4v5 sv% and 5v5 sv% is a huge blunder.

And I'm not discussing career performance. He had bad playoffs in the past. I'm talking about this last season's playoff, where he played well.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
After that series I don't remember anyone on here blaming Bob for it. It was obvious at the time that it wasn't his fault. He stole us a game and was heroic in game 3, played decently until the third of game 6.

A few months later, barely anyone remembers how he played. People are just looking at his base save percentage, without context, without memory.

I know you will say its just 1 goal, but do you really want us to go back goal for goal? But, here are your game 3 "heroics". Other than all the "small" issues with his "technique" here, tell me how its NOT an absolutely TERRIBLE rebound. Its a medium speed "snap shot" from the halfway spot in between the top of the circles and the blue line. Look at 35 seconds in the video (if somebody could get a screenshot) at look at where the puck is and look at where Bobrovsky is in relation to the puck AND the net. That's NOT "elite" technique or rebound control.

People who want to attack the team for playing offensive seem to "forget" that the team was actually producing VERY well offensively. You'd think producing what they did offensively would be good enough for 1 of the best goalies in the league who is supposedly WAY better than 75% of the other goalies. Instead the defense of Bob is that the team need to stay back and "cover" for their 10 million dollar/future hall of fame goalie.

How bad they team played defensively (and how it affected Bob) is being overplayed. How good of a defense the team has (and how much they positively affect Bob) is being downplayed. By some.

Seems similar like before, we had 'Johansen fans' not CBJ fans, now we have "Bobrovsky fans". The claims that HE is the 1 who carried the team/franchise out of the "basement", or that the team will go back to that are all I need to hear.

The TEAM is where its at now because the guys who WONT (aren't going to) overpay for Bob are running the team. Not because those guys brought Bobrovsky in.

Reactions: CPTN71

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I know you will say its just 1 goal, but do you really want us to go back goal for goal? But, here are your game 3 "heroics". Other than all the "small" issues with his "technique" here, tell me how its NOT an absolutely TERRIBLE rebound. Its a medium speed "snap shot" from the halfway spot in between the top of the circles and the blue line. Look at 35 seconds in the video (if somebody could get a screenshot) at look at where the puck is and look at where Bobrovsky is in relation to the puck AND the net. That's NOT "elite" technique or rebound control.

People who want to attack the team for playing offensive seem to "forget" that the team was actually producing VERY well offensively. You'd think producing what they did offensively would be good enough for 1 of the best goalies in the league who is supposedly WAY better than 75% of the other goalies. Instead the defense of Bob is that the team need to stay back and "cover" for their 10 million dollar/future hall of fame goalie.

How bad they team played defensively (and how it affected Bob) is being overplayed. How good of a defense the team has (and how much they positively affect Bob) is being downplayed. By some.

Seems similar like before, we had 'Johansen fans' not CBJ fans, now we have "Bobrovsky fans". The claims that HE is the 1 who carried the team/franchise out of the "basement", or that the team will go back to that are all I need to hear.

The TEAM is where its at now because the guys who WONT (aren't going to) overpay for Bob are running the team. Not because those guys brought Bobrovsky in.

Yup, that was an absolute trash goal. I would be curious what his save % for the rest of the series, after this occured.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Not only do I NOT forget Bob's AVERAGE play. I also don't forget the BRUTAL goalie interference calls. 1 of which was responsible for a 2 goal (1 gf/1 ga) swing, I believe.

People want to attack the TEAM, to make excuses FOR Bob, but reality is that the REFS/CALLS were highly questionable. This shouldn't be forgotten f***, did they even give Wilson 2 minutes on the hit on Wennberg?

The refs were bad. The team was only "good" for half the series. Bob was "good" 1 game max. Look at how many goals the team HAD to score to win.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Not only do I NOT forget Bob's AVERAGE play. I also don't forget the BRUTAL goalie interference calls. 1 of which was responsible for a 2 goal (1 gf/1 ga) swing, I believe.

People want to attack the TEAM, to make excuses FOR Bob, but reality is that the REFS/CALLS were highly questionable. This shouldn't be forgotten ****, did they even give Wilson 2 minutes on the hit on Wennberg?

The refs were bad. The team was only "good" for half the series. Bob was "good" 1 game max. Look at how many goals the team HAD to score to win.
I agree about the refs for sure. However, there were still 25+ penalties in 6 games. If the PK was better, or they were more disciplined, we may have won that series, and wouldn't be talking about Bob at all. My main point is that, while he may have still been a problem, Bob was not the biggest reason we lost the series. As evidenced by his .926% 5 on 5, if we simply stayed at even strength, that was a series we probably win.

On the other hand, we'd probably be talking about how bad he was in round 2 against Pittsburgh. :sarcasm:

Reactions: CBJFan827

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Do you understand that there will be a 6-7 million dollar difference in cap hit between the 2?

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Who says lost cause ? Up to this point, you could clearly say, he hasnt shown the mental capacity to handle the pressure in the playoffs. Hence, why you dont cripple your team, paying a goalie 10-11 mill per season, when you can get a goalie thats won actual an actual Stanley Cup, for around $4.5 mill. Not to mention , strapping your team, where if that one player is hurt, your dealing with just a pretty mediocre team on offense, with a great defensive core. Not sure whats so hard about this concept. Can Bob turn it around ? Possibly. But the Cbj wont be stupid enough to pay him 10-11 mill waiting to find out. And yes, Korpi still has potential. In case you didnt notice, the #cbj got rid of Bobs goalie coach, without consulting him. That may give you some insight as to what they felt was Korpis issue, and almost certainly points to the fact they were moving on from Bob.
Who? Cam Ward? Antii Niemi? Yeah we could get them next offseason, but neither is able to be much of an NHL starter anymore, let alone win a playoff series.

The only goalies to win the Stanley Cup in the last 11 years (since the lockout):

Old, available next offeseason, and not very good
Cam Ward (2006)
Antii Niemi (2010)

Retired
Tim Thomas (2011)
JS Giguere (2007)
Chris Osgood (2008)

Under contract well above your stated cost
Corey Crawford (2013, 2015)
MA Fleury (2009)
Jonathan Quick (2012, 2014)
Brayden Holtby (2018)

Under contract with another team below $4.5M
Matt Murray (2016, 2017)

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
And possibly a 2 goals against average difference too.

You think Korpisalo will have the worst GAA in the entire league?

Or are you purposefully exaggerating the number/difference and the reality is that the .25 to .50 difference that there probably WILL BE in the team's GAA, will NOT have more impact than the 6+ million dollars that would be opened up, or the 3.5-4 goals Bob lets in in the playoffs/when the pressure is on anyway.

That's the BIGGEST misconception going on here. That "playoff Bob" doesn't occur during the REGULAR season. It happens more than what has been portrayed and more than what should happen in contrast to his cap hit. I mean, that's why we don't call it "current Bob". We call it "playoff Bob" to make light of a bad situation, and the fact that its COMPARABLE to how he plays in the playoffs, or simply, when the "pressure" is at the highest.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Or are you purposefully exaggerating the number/difference and the reality is that the .25 to .50 difference that there probably WILL BE in the team's GAA, will NOT have more impact than the 6+ million dollars that would be opened up, or the 3.5-4 goals Bob lets in in the playoffs/when the pressure is on anyway.

That's the BIGGEST misconception going on here. That "playoff Bob" doesn't occur during the REGULAR season. It happens more than what has been portrayed and more than what should happen in contrast to his cap hit. I mean, that's why we don't call it "current Bob". We call it "playoff Bob" to make light of a bad situation, and the fact that its COMPARABLE to how he plays in the playoffs, or simply, when the "pressure" is at the highest.

Do I think it's possible for him to have the worst GA in the league when he's a starter? Yeah. Am I exaggerating on the 2 goals against thing? Yeah.

GAA may be more of a team stat, but save % isn't. And Korpisalo's career numbers are awful. No going around it. The difference between the two goalies is absolutely not .25 or .50. You keep bringing in Bob's playoff numbers because that's the only way your argument holds any merit, as if the 82 game season didn't matter. If you can find a collection of games (like 3-5) in a row in which "playoff Bob" appeared in the regular season, then get back to me. I can only vaguely recall any games Korpisalo played well in.

The '13 Vezina happened, the 2016-17 Vezina happened. (without Panarin and Dubois btw)

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
CBJ with Korpisalo > > Bobrovsky

I'm perfectly FINE with what has transpired.

Either he and Panarin are playing on the CBJ in April, or they're not.

There is something like a 10% chance that Panarin stays in Columbus, ZERO PERCENT when it comes to Bob.

brianhatesu

Aug 8, 2003
Dayton
Visit site
I honestly believe it’s a 0% for Panarin if Bob leaves.

As for “Playoff Bob” I love how the other teams do not receive any credit for being good. If you think your going to play the Penguins or Capitals and your not got to give up some goals, your crazy.

Reactions: Viqsi

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I honestly believe it’s a 0% for Panarin if Bob leaves.

As for “Playoff Bob” I love how the other teams do not receive any credit for being good. If you think your going to play the Penguins or Capitals and your not got to give up some goals, your crazy.

Well in this conversation, lets give them as much credit for being good as the 'Bob fans' are giving the CBJ TEAM for being good. Clearly, Bob is the only person affecting what happens on the ice.

2.5 to 3 goals could or should be expected, NOT 3.5.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

This is telling. A half goal per game difference is huge. You think a $6m free agent is going to fill that? Skaters who make a half goal per game impact above replacement make more like $9m-$12m. It would be costlier to fill the hole left by Bob than to pay Bob.

(And this half-goal per game is assuming improvement from Korpi. The difference between Bob and Korpi the last couple years is about .7-.9 goals against per game.)

Reactions: Forepar and Viqsi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->