Sergei Bobrovsky - Off The Case? (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
When I first saw Bob was on a DDO, I was very "WTF". Not something I would expect. Beyond my reservations about him, he's generally been viewed as a great team member.

As far as the narrative about "trashing the room"". There are ways to do that. The "what is wrong with all of us. we have to do better" yelling is entirely different than, "You guys f'ing suck, I'm tired of carrying you". Context matters.

It seems like based on his statement he said something to the team or maybe a player or two that wasn't considered...... umm... constructive? Not the right word, but you get the idea.

All-in-all this really isn't the kind of season that you want going into your next contract. Outside of November it's been very forgettable. I'm pretty tired of the way he's viewed in Columbus and I'm annoyed with the CBJ for the way they've handled the goalie situation for years. I stand by with what I've said for years, I have no interest in being the team that gives him his next contract. Beyond everything I'm beyond tired with arguing with people around here about him.

What happens, happens.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Thanks for posting that. It really sounds like he went off on the team for the loss. That would explain all of the "I have always tried to be the best teammate" talk and that he and the team are good now. It also explains why FO had to act. They cannot let that go if its the case. Because of this poor Bob may only get $8.5M per year instead of $9M per year. :cry:

Man, he misses out on a few Foligno hugs and all hell breaks loose

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
MacKinnon calls outburst toward coach on Avalanche bench unacceptable

MacKinnon, who at one point slammed his water bottle on the bench, said he was upset with Bednar's decision in the closing minute of the loss to Calgary.
"I just thought the goalie ( Semyon Varlamov ) should have been pulled [sooner] and he didn't," MacKinnon said. "That's all it was. It was just stupid. I was just taking my frustration out on that. I mean, it's just about the goalie being pulled, that's it.
"I think everyone was frustrated, I was just the only one who did that. So no excuses. Everyone wants to win as bad as I do in this room, but they obviously channeled it better than I did. And I definitely can't be losing my temper and treating the coach like that."
"It didn't bother me at all," said Bednar, in his third season as Avalanche coach. "That's what I love about Nathan, and about certain guys on our team, is the fire and emotion and passion that they play with and that they have because that's what you need in this game. It's an important part of the game and that's what makes him so good. So I never want to curb that.
"My job as a coach is just make sure that we're driving that emotion and that passion and that energy into the right places and focusing it on the right place and we're doing it in a positive way, and that will lead to winning. So to me I forgot about it by the time we went down the tunnel. I thought we should chat about it, and we did and we're good."

This is how a "not too much to it" outburst is handled. The Bob deal (obviously) wasn't.

Reactions: CPTN71

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
This situation needs an official title that can be referred to for years to come. I know its not very inventive but I will stick with meat and potatoes and go with

The Incident

I'm sure you can come up with something better. So what do you have?

No police report? Hospital visit?

I'll guess, distemper.

More realistic than the last time we were guessing or talking "about" ailments.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Isn't it possible Bob requested a trade in the offseason (hence his training camp interview) and management told him "nah, play well or hurt your contract demands next summer"?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Isn't it possible Bob requested a trade in the offseason (hence his training camp interview) and management told him "nah, play well or hurt your contract demands next summer"?

Yeah I think that's a plausible assumption. Something along the lines of "If you're not going to pay me, trade me to ______ so they will."

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
In that Hedger tweet, a member of the FO again uses language like "Bob is under contract to us." I'm going to take from this that the issue is a professional/ business one and not a personal/behavioral one. Which is not to say there hasn't been some intertwining of personal and professional throughout this matter, but the reason he was "suspended" has to do with something done or said on the business end of things.

BS.

His personal actions and behavior being NON professional is the entire issue.

In the video I've seen there is a quote from Bob, "It is what it is".....

Thing is, I don't think Bob was saying that to the press, he was passing along essentially the "message" he got from the team, literally or figuratively. That's not good. I'm not sure people quite understand the "relationship" teams have or NEED TO HAVE with their goalie(s).

There was also the question, "Do you want to play for the CBJ the rest of the year?"

Answer: "I....I am here.

OK.

It don't matter what quotes you will get to the press from the players, there's no moving on after this. Not with a happy ending anyway.

Reactions: CPTN71

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Total guess here but I bet Bob used the time that the parents (Nick, Torts, and probably Dubi) were away to yell at the kids. He could have told them that he couldn't wait to go to a different team and that they were nothing without him. If that happened I would hope there was an altercation between Bob and another player or two.
We will probably never know how big that win against Nashville was. Could very well have galvanized the team and put Bob back in his place. I hope Korpi plays against Caps and wins, but I fully expect Bob to play vs Caps.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
There was also the question, "Do you want to play for the CBJ the rest of the year?"

Answer: "I....I am here.

OK.

It don't matter what quotes you will get to the press from the players, there's no moving on after this. Not with a happy ending anyway

While we (I'm sure) differ on the underlying cause(s) of what happened, I couldn't agree with you more regarding this.

Anyone who watched that and could leave with, "Yea. Just a bad day. He's completely cool with what's going on" is delusional.

That's one very, very unhappy camper. He is not OK with things. A blind man can see that.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Semantics, cool cool. They literally said it had nothing to do with that, so there's literally nothing I can say here that will make a difference to you. Carry on senor.

Want semantics.

Conspiracies exist. Theories exist.

Why not conspiracy theories? Look into who invented the term, and why. Really.

"It is what it is"

Bobs gone. As Seth Jones would say, It is what it is.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Most of the instances of players trashing locker rooms I'm familiar with are from ages ago. Perhaps you can show me some more recent examples.

As far as your comment that they should just sit him for a day, to me that's exactly what just happened. He sat yesterday. The media/fans went into a tizzy but that's just a thing they tend to do.

THERE WAS A TEAM/PLAYER ONLY MEETING ABOUT IT.

This didn't occur in Jarmo's office.

"IT IS WHAT IT IS"

Well, what is it?

The spade is a spade.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
While we (I'm sure) differ on the underlying cause(s) of what happened, I couldn't agree with you more regarding this.

Anyone who watched that and could leave with, "Yea. Just a bad day. He's completely cool with what's going on" is delusional.

That's one very, very unhappy camper. He is not OK with things. A blind man can see that.

And, MOST IMPORTANTLY, neither is SETH JONES and THE ENTIRE REST OF THE TEAM

"It is what it is"

Is not good for anybody "pro Bob".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->