Sergei Bobrovsky - Off The Case? (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
How do you figure? Panarin hasn't been willing to even negotiate from day 1...what else are they supposed to do?

It's as if they learned nothing from Tavares.

They have been hoping that he would change his mind and negotiate. I'll cut them some slack on that-until about Thanksgiving. At some point there has to be an internal deadline where the rubber meets the road. Whether that was Thanksgiving, a little after or training camp, there should have been one. It was abundantly clear early in the season that Panarin was very ambivalent about staying with Columbus for the long term. The front office was arrogant (and probably stupid) to think that they could change his mind beyond a reasonable drop dead date. They misread his desires very badly.

They've given away most of their trading leverage with him. He would have commanded much more during the summer or early in the season.

It's true that the team may not have performed as well as they have without him. But, then again, had they traded him in the off season, they may have gotten other pieces which could have allowed for the same place in the standings. But by allowing the mutual distractions of Bob and Rockstar to continue to this point in the season and minimizing their returns, Jarmo and JD have managed to produce, in all probability, the weakest of potential outcomes for the team in the standings and in the trade market.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It's as if they learned nothing from Tavares.

They have been hoping that he would change his mind and negotiate. I'll cut them some slack on that-until about Thanksgiving. At some point there has to be an internal deadline where the rubber meets the road. Whether that was Thanksgiving, a little after or training camp, there should have been one. It was abundantly clear early in the season that Panarin was very ambivalent about staying with Columbus for the long term. The front office was arrogant (and probably stupid) to think that they could change his mind beyond a reasonable drop dead date. They misread his desires very badly.

They've given away most of their trading leverage with him. He would have commanded much more during the summer or early in the season.

It's true that the team may not have performed as well as they have without him. But, then again, had they traded him in the off season, they may have gotten other pieces which could have allowed for the same place in the standings. But by allowing the mutual distractions of Bob and Rockstar to continue to this point in the season and minimizing their returns, Jarmo and JD have managed to produce, in all probability, the weakest of potential outcomes for the team in the standings and in the trade market.
When it comes to a franchise player it's worth taking every risk because those don't just grow on trees. Us Jacket fans should know that pretty damn well by now.

But even if I don't agree with it all I'd say that's a fair enough assessment. I, however am going to wait until I actually see the return (if there's any) before I say they screwed it all up.

Reactions: Sore Loser

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
When it comes to a franchise player it's worth taking every risk because those don't just grow on trees. Us Jacket fans should know that pretty damn well by now.

But even if I don't agree with it all I'd say that's a fair enough assessment. I, however am going to wait until I actually see the return (if there's any) before I say they screwed it all up.

Fair enough. I'd really like them to get a nice haul for him. I think that it's still possible.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

Wise words.

I'll judge early though and actually defend what management has done. The team, in spite of four straight losses, is still within a few points of the division lead. They are still in a place where even slightly above average play over the next two months, will probably land them in a playoff spot. Even if it's another first round loss, whatever. Oh, and they still have the two big assets. Two big assets that everyone else is after.

The worst thing that could happen moving forward, would be keeping them both and missing the playoffs, or being eliminated early.

The second worse thing would be trading them both now, and missing the playoffs or being eliminated early.

Literally every other outcome has its share of more positive results. I think management has done an impeccable job of making the most of the situation, avoiding most distraction, and icing a solid enough team. They have been successful enough to keep the fans interested, while also not jumping the gun and loading up to go all in this year.

We will see how it shakes down. Like you said, hard to judge... but it's impossible to judge that the returns now might be any less than the returns might have been in July. We will simply never know - maybe the returns were poor then, and that is the main reason Jarmo has held onto Bob and Panarin. After all, the team is flirting with first place... would we be doing so if he had gotten a one round higher pick in July, than he might in February?

Reactions: Viqsi

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Heres another thought:

Imagine you are Korpi. You are young and ambitious. You have done your best to prove yourself this year, while earning only 12% or so of what Bob makes.

Yet you sit there on the bench and you see that the coach prefers to play a shaky goalie whos leaving the team in just a few months or less.

Korpi is being abused and is not given a fair chance. If I was him then I would be furious, especially now after these two last games.

Why is he being abused like this? Why doesnt the management test to see whether he is for real and ready to be their number 1 by giving him 70-75% of the starts?

Korpi is 24 and has stood on his head this year. Torts/Jarmo and others: wake up and smell the coffee!!!!

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Heres another thought:

Imagine you are Korpi. You are young and ambitious. You have done your best to prove yourself this year, while earning only 12% or so of what Bob makes.

Yet you sit there on the bench and you see that the coach prefers to play a shaky goalie whos leaving the team in just a few months or less.

Korpi is being abused and is not given a fair chance. If I was him then I would be furious, especially now after these two last games.

Why is he being abused like this? Why doesnt the management test to see whether he is for real and ready to be their number 1 by giving him 70-75% of the starts?

Korpi is 24 and has stood on his head this year. Torts/Jarmo and others: wake up and smell the coffee!!!!

Korpisalo has had ample opportunity to push for playing time, and not just this year but every year he's been an AHLer. He was penciled to be the backup after he filled in for Bob admirably in 2015, but performed poorly in camp and was only given the starting job after McElhinney had one bad game against the Rangers later the next year. Ever since then, outside of a few stretches, he hasn't proven himself to warrant more playing time. Hell, he was even BENCHED during the Monsters Calder Cup run because of his struggles. Bobrovsky may be having a bad year, but Korpisalo hasn't been much better outside of the recent stretch. Yes, he has won most of his starts, but he's been given a good amount of goals to win these games. It's not all his fault, I think the teams defense has been pretty brutal for almost all of this year (for both goalies), but both Korpisalo and Bob have given up some awful goals this year.

Does he deserve more playing time now? Yeah, easily. But let's not act like Korpisalo has been beating on the door for time here like Cory Schneider did to Luongo during the Canuck years. He's been OK this year as a whole and good lately. He should be given more starts, but to say he's earned them, IMO, is a stretch.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Does he deserve more playing time now? Yeah, easily. But let's not act like Korpisalo has been beating on the door for time here like Cory Schneider did to Luongo during the Canuck years. He's been OK this year as a whole and good lately. He should be given more starts, but to say he's earned them, IMO, is a stretch.

Skipping the history, I think he has earned them, if for no other reason than "riding the hot goalie". And Bob has surely lost his right to start 60+ games. If Bob starts tonight I'll be amazed.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Skipping the history, I think he has earned them, if for no other reason than "riding the hot goalie". And Bob has surely lost his right to start 60+ games. If Bob starts tonight I'll be amazed.
Agree except I’ll not be amazed if Bob starts, not that he should but I’d simply say it’s a Torts thing.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Korpisalo has had ample opportunity to push for playing time, and not just this year but every year he's been an AHLer. He was penciled to be the backup after he filled in for Bob admirably in 2015, but performed poorly in camp and was only given the starting job after McElhinney had one bad game against the Rangers later the next year. Ever since then, outside of a few stretches, he hasn't proven himself to warrant more playing time. Hell, he was even BENCHED during the Monsters Calder Cup run because of his struggles. Bobrovsky may be having a bad year, but Korpisalo hasn't been much better outside of the recent stretch. Yes, he has won most of his starts, but he's been given a good amount of goals to win these games. It's not all his fault, I think the teams defense has been pretty brutal for almost all of this year (for both goalies), but both Korpisalo and Bob have given up some awful goals this year.

1) Lets forget the past performance for a while, I mean it doesnt guarantee any future results. In this example the past result isnt too impressive yes.

2) He is young and is improving. In my opinion the key to this guy is to shift the responsibility to him. "Bob is leaving us so from now on YOU are our guy (and Bob is your backup). its up to you now whether we make the PO and how far we advance there."
What if Korpi is a guy who thrives under pressure? There is only one way to find out. God knows I hate Tampa but this is exactly how Vasi was created. He was a mediocore goalie, hiding behind Ben Bishop. Im not saying that Korpi is another Vasi, but there is only one way to find out; by giving him all that responsibility. In my opinion its worth a try yet the management has other ideas.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
2) He is young and is improving. In my opinion the key to this guy is to shift the responsibility to him. "Bob is leaving us so from now on YOU are our guy (and Bob is your backup). its up to you now whether we make the PO and how far we advance there."
What if Korpi is a guy who thrives under pressure? There is only one way to find out. God knows I hate Tampa but this is exactly how Vasi was created. He was a mediocore goalie, hiding behind Ben Bishop. Im not saying that Korpi is another Vasi, but there is only one way to find out; by giving him all that responsibility. In my opinion its worth a try yet the management has other ideas.

I agree, but they already tried the responsibility thing. When the season started he said he had to lean on Korpi more due to us not knowing what Bob was going to do. He came off of it pretty quickly, maybe too quickly, but they did try to make it known to not only Korpi but to the NHL that he was going to be getting more time this year. That is a lot of pressure. And although he isn't facing the same amounts of pressure as the de-facto starter, its still a lot of pressure to come in as rare as he does and pull out good performances in the limited time you get. Maybe he is like Bobrovsky where he enjoys a higher workload to get a rhythm and he'll take off when he gets that chance. We'll probably find out soon.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I agree, but they already tried the responsibility thing. When the season started he said he had to lean on Korpi more due to us not knowing what Bob was going to do. He came off of it pretty quickly, maybe too quickly, but they did try to make it known to not only Korpi but to the NHL that he was going to be getting more time this year. That is a lot of pressure. And although he isn't facing the same amounts of pressure as the de-facto starter, its still a lot of pressure to come in as rare as he does and pull out good performances in the limited time you get. Maybe he is like Bobrovsky where he enjoys a higher workload to get a rhythm and he'll take off when he gets that chance. We'll probably find out soon.

Korpisalo was given 3 goals after he was named the "starter". A reminder that this was on Oct 30th. The 1st month into the season, Korpisalo was literally being called the starter. And, it wasn't just GIVEN to him. You guys want look at the GAA and SV% (and IGNORE win/loss ratio for some reason) to start the year and say its the same or Bob was/is better, but the ONLY (ok, main) REASON Korpisalo has played as much as he has this year, is because of his play being better than Bobrovsky.

Look at the 3 goals, and compare them to the goals Bob has continued to give up that are all blamed on bad defense.

The 1st period of that Det game shouldn't be seen as much of an indicator of anything, imo.

Yes, I see the, "maybe to quickly", and comment about "higher workload", and yes its true. For any goalie.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Korpisalo was given 3 goals after he was named the "starter". A reminder that this was on Oct 30th. The 1st month into the season, Korpisalo was literally being called the starter. And, it wasn't just GIVEN to him. You guys want look at the GAA and SV% (and IGNORE win/loss ratio for some reason) to start the year and say its the same or Bob was/is better, but the ONLY (ok, main) REASON Korpisalo has played as much as he has this year, is because of his play being better than Bobrovsky.

Look at the 3 goals, and compare them to the goals Bob has continued to give up that are all blamed on bad defense.

The 1st period of that Det game shouldn't be seen as much of an indicator of anything, imo.

Yes, I see the, "maybe to quickly", and comment about "higher workload", and yes its true. For any goalie.

It's one game. Want me to post a game where Bobrovsky had a shutout, or?

As I said, Korpisalo and Bobrovsky have been by and large pretty poor this year. They both have had moments of good play, and both have had moments where they can't make big stops. They have both given up soft goals. Under this scenario, yes, I do agree Korpisalo needs to play more because Bobrovsky is leaving after this season. But it's not like we're improving much, if at all. People are so ready to move on from Bob due to the frustration with his contract demands and play, which I understand, but trusting Korpisalo is mighty thin ice. But it doesn't matter anymore. The season is over by and large, so Korpi should be given the reigns.

Reactions: Fro

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's one game. Want me to post a game where Bobrovsky had a shutout, or?

As I said, Korpisalo and Bobrovsky have been by and large pretty poor this year. They both have had moments of good play, and both have had moments where they can't make big stops. They have both given up soft goals. Under this scenario, yes, I do agree Korpisalo needs to play more because Bobrovsky is leaving after this season. But it's not like we're improving much, if at all. People are so ready to move on from Bob due to the frustration with his contract demands and play, which I understand, but trusting Korpisalo is mighty thin ice. But it doesn't matter anymore. The season is over by and large, so Korpi should be given the reigns.
They both started that way. Korpi's been on an improving trend so far this year, tho. Bob has been up and down and up and down, and is presently down.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
As I said, Korpisalo and Bobrovsky have been by and large pretty poor this year. .

This is NOT TRUE.

Bobrovsky has, Korpisalo hasn't.

You guys have looked at and shouted about the GAA and SV% meaning they were playing similar, or until "recently", that Bob was actually playing better. Because of the "numbers". But, the TRUTH is that going all the way back to October, Korpisalo was playing much better on a consistent basis than Bob and that's the reason WHY he was once (or twice now) looked at as "the starter" so early into the year.

While he hasn't been great, you cannot ignore the way the team has played in front of each guy. The team leaves Korpisalo out to dry just as much, if not more, than Bobrovsky. Not to mention, if my memory is correct, the team/Torts has flip flopped a couple times on playing offensive/ Safe is Death or playing defensive. That will affect the goalies numbers. And I believe a bigger percentage of Korpisalo's games have been S-I-D games. Also, Bobrovsky simply playing double the amount of games BEHIND A GOOD TEAM with affect his numbers positively.

Reactions: Facifer

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
God it just makes me sad how Bob is going to go out with this team. He was the quintessential Jacket for so long and now people just hate him. I’m not defending his play or behavior, btw, I’m just sad about the situation.
You and me both... Bob is one of the reasons I eventually decided to get full season tickets.

First jersey I owned as well.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Korpisalo needs to be given the next 4 games. Bob has a .861 save percentage in the last month. The woefully inept handling of his situation by the front office has rendered him "fire sale" material at the TDL. His value isn't going to be much and playing him isn't going to change that and it's not going to give the CBJ a better shot at winning games.

Time to move on from Bob. Yesterday.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
This is NOT TRUE.

Bobrovsky has, Korpisalo hasn't.

You guys have looked at and shouted about the GAA and SV% meaning they were playing similar, or until "recently", that Bob was actually playing better. Because of the "numbers". But, the TRUTH is that going all the way back to October, Korpisalo was playing much better on a consistent basis than Bob and that's the reason WHY he was once (or twice now) looked at as "the starter" so early into the year.

While he hasn't been great, you cannot ignore the way the team has played in front of each guy. The team leaves Korpisalo out to dry just as much, if not more, than Bobrovsky. Not to mention, if my memory is correct, the team/Torts has flip flopped a couple times on playing offensive/ Safe is Death or playing defensive. That will affect the goalies numbers. And I believe a bigger percentage of Korpisalo's games have been S-I-D games. Also, Bobrovsky simply playing double the amount of games BEHIND A GOOD TEAM with affect his numbers positively.

Look, you can believe what you want. I'm not going to stop you. But if Tortorella agreed with you, he would have been starting for a while now. And that's not the case.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Note to all the Korpi hardliners:

He’s given up less than 3 goals in 3 out of 14 starts this year. 3.

I’ll give you that his recent play has been much better. But that’s still 3/14 and before January it was 1/11 in which the one was the first game of the season. I’m not convinced he’s ready to take over, especially when he also doesn’t pass the eye test.

That being said, Bob also doesn’t pass the eye test, and I’m happy that Korpi is getting the start tonight.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
1) Lets forget the past performance for a while, I mean it doesnt guarantee any future results. In this example the past result isnt too impressive yes.

Many likes.

Throw him in the water. See if he can swim. No life boats permitted.

Reactions: Facifer

jacketsnation

Jul 25, 2017
To all the korpi lovers. Look at these stats
Korpisalo in Liiga two years before moving to ahl
18gp 2.71gga .900%
38gp 2.34gga .919%

Vehviläinen in Liiga before moving
35gp 1.89 gga .925%
31gp 1.41gga .940%

Maybe better team infront of V maybe not but to me hes been more consistent over his tenure as a goalie. Im exciting to move on from Bob.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
You and me both... Bob is one of the reasons I eventually decided to get full season tickets.

First jersey I owned as well.

Think my parents became Full STH at that time as well attending games left and right that year, while living 2 hours away and working full time. Mom got a Bobrovsky jersey. Dad wanted tickets in C1 so we could see Bob for 2 periods a game. That streak in 2013 was the thing that got me to be to become a huge CBJ fan as well.. Still have those season tickets in C1 as well. My dad used to joke that if he were to have another son, he would name him Sergei. I used to joke that I'm going to name my future dog Sergei, then Artemi... Now, that Artemi is on his way out the door, I might have to just hold onto the hopes that Vitali Abramov becomes a top 6 NHL winger or Vladislav Gavrikov decides to come to America eventually.

Anyways, like mentioned... It's sad to see the situation come to this point. I'm not a big Korpisalo fan.. But, it's pretty clear that he is our only answer at this point. Trade Bob, get a rental #2 goalie, and I'd probably just ride Korpisalo the rest of the way to see what we have. Let Vehvaleinen, Elvis, Korpi battle it out next off-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad