Sergei Bobrovsky: contract year, below average results.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
That says a lot about this era of goalies

Well he’s got two Verona’s it’s true, we don’t have any undisputed best goalie anymore I feel st times it’s been rinne or quick or price or bobz and for awhile in my opinion for a long time it was always lundqvist but your right no one is really dominant.

Gibson, vasilevsky and Dubynyk seem like the best right now to me.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
He's still a top 3 goalie (along with Vasilevsky/Gibson), look at his body of work. He's only really had 1 bad season since entering his prime and that was only 37 games on a terrible team. Just a bad stretch.

Last edited:

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Well he’s got two Verona’s it’s true, we don’t have any undisputed best goalie anymore I feel st times it’s been rinne or quick or price or bobz and for awhile in my opinion for a long time it was always lundqvist but your right no one is really dominant.

Gibson, vasilevsky and Dubynyk seem like the best right now to me.

All of those goalies combine for two, with both credited to Quick, who has been in the convo for best in the league for a while. Wow, this ain't good.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Sigh... I remember calling Johansen won't play out that stupid bridge contract in Columbus and people would laugh at me.

Now they aren't able to lock up the best forward a Vezina goaltender.

I think Jarmo still can't get it. This is the big league. You are here to win. Sometimes that means you have to open the dam' purse and pay your stars what they deserve given the market. Cost control is neat for running a down to earth traditional team in a finnish league. No offence to any finnish league, but there is certainly a different philosophy there. And JK just can't seem to realize what being on the biggest stage means.

With or without taking money into account, its Jones+Korpisalo > Jojo+Bobrovsky

Anything "negative" regarding Panarin shouldn't be put on Jarmo, as he was the 1 who went out of his way to actually acquire the guy just 1 year ago.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
With or without taking money into account, its Jones+Korpisalo > Jojo+Bobrovsky

Anything "negative" regarding Panarin shouldn't be put on Jarmo, as he was the 1 who went out of his way to actually acquire the guy just 1 year ago.
From the looks of it it was Chicago who wanted Saad back. Jarmo deserves credit for getting a lucky call and not messing it up. On the first one I don't even want to comment.

And it's not about his abilities with trades which might be fine. It's about star players leaving because of the contractual situation or whatever else.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He got Jones in that deal. Appears willing to open the vault for Panarin. Looks likely he'll be able to dodge an albatross of a long term deal with Bob. Seems like Jarmo knows what's up.
He could have signed Bob to a comfortable deal before.Instead he has to dodge something now.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
No team looking to make something happen in the playoffs should sign him. Bob is easily one of the biggest chokers in the game today.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
No team looking to make something happen in the playoffs should sign him. Bob is easily one of the biggest chokers in the game today.

Oh I would bet there are a number of teams who would take that chance. Think someone like Florida wouldn't kill for a Bobrovsky right now?

Whatever playoff issues Bobrovsky might have at least he helps get his team to the playoffs in the first place.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Given what appears to be a frail psyche, I can only see Bob in a team like Arizona or Buffalo. Where expectations are very low. I think he would thrive in such an environment. I think his psyche resembles that of Bryzgalov. He was a great regular season goalie in Phoenix but would lose his shit in the playoffs. And turned out to be a disaster in a city where expectations are rather high.

Reactions: thebus88

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
100%. Right now.

Merzlikins is good, but so is Korpisalo.
You do realize Korpisalo has ~.900 Sv% last 3 years, right? In what world does that say "100% starter. Right now"? He is somehow going to play better with the heavier workload or do you find being 1,5% below league average satisfactory?

Reactions: The Wizard

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
You do realize Korpisalo has ~.900 Sv% last 3 years, right? In what world does that say "100% starter. Right now"? He is somehow going to play better with the heavier workload or do you find being 1,5% below league average satisfactory?

MANY goalies/YOUNG goalies play better when they actually play.

I've seen enough of both Bob and Korpisalo to make my judgement.

I've "called" the CBJ MOVING ON FROM BOB, for quite a while. Also called them trading Johansen.

Was called "crazy" many times, and yet, here we are.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
MANY goalies/YOUNG goalies play better when they actually play.

I've seen enough of both Bob and Korpisalo to make my judgement.
And many more crash down completely when turning from backup to a starter. Much more creditable hockey people felt they've seen enough of Darling, Lack, Allen etc. and yet here we are. And that's considering those guys were great backups/AHL goalies. Korpisalo is so-so at best.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
And many more crash down completely when turning from backup to a starter. Much more creditable hockey people felt they've seen enough of Darling, Lack, Allen etc. and yet here we are. And that's considering those guys were great backups/AHL goalies. Korpisalo is so-so at best.

Thank you for your analysis.

The thing is this. The CBJ have positively affected Bobrovsky's numbers MORE SO than he has positively affected them/their numbers.

I fully support the direction that the CBJ team and organization is going.

A direction without problem players, such as Johansen and Bobrovsky.

Both guys should have been moved 1+ years in advance.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Thank you for your analysis.

The thing is this. The CBJ have positively affected Bobrovsky's numbers MORE SO than he has positively affected them/their numbers.
:facepalm:

It's a two-way street. If your theory was true, Korpi more than likely would have been above .900 last night.

Reactions: Smart Alek

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
:facepalm:

It's a two-way street. If your theory was true, Korpi more than likely would have been above .900 last night.

Get over the .900 thing. You yourself said you only saw the 3rd period. Tell me, how much time was left in the game and what was the score when they scored that 4th goal?

Bob is letting in goal 4, in the 2nd period, to go down 4-1.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Get over the .900 thing. You yourself said you only saw the 3rd period. Tell me, how much time was left in the game and what was the score when they scored that 4th goal?

Bob is letting in goal 4, in the 2nd period, to go down 4-1.
When I got in, his save percentage was even worse. 3 goals against on 22 shots. So, no, sorry, that won't work.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
When I got in, his save percentage was even worse. 3 goals against on 22 shots. So, no, sorry, that won't work.

Ok, the whole point is that from shot #22 to whatever it was when they scored goal 4, he made a BUNCH of good saves. During the MOST IMPORTANT times/situations during the game when the momentum and score was swinging. They are saves that Bob hasn't been making. And he also made a bunch of good saves during those 1st 22 shots, and you yourself admitted you didn't see any of it.

If Bob plays, they lose that game.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
Man, Blue Jacket fans sure are extremely disrespectful towards the best goaltender in the history of their franchise, a team that he's been on for 7 years. A two-time Vezina trophy winner. And for who, Korpisalo? A guy that has a .900 save percentage the last three years? I don't get it. If nothing else, the performance of the two goalies this year would show that the issues with that team goes beyond any one individual.

I'm sorry, but if this is the way Blue Jacket fans act, you don't deserve a good team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad