Sergei Bobrovsky: contract year, below average results.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I’ve been one of the biggest Bob fans there has been but I can’t lie, something is seriously wrong with the man. Bob has been absolutely horrible this year. I’ve literally watched every single one of his games ever since he first put on a CBJ sweater, and I’ve never saw him look worse than he does currently.

He has given up 56 goals in his last 14 games (including playoffs)... which is exactly 4.00 GAA.

His stats coming into tonight’s game:

3.84 GAA
.876 save percentage.
22 goals given up in just 6 games.

Gave up 8 goals to TBL earlier this month. Has given up 3 goals tonight not even halfway into the game against a Coyotes team that is dead last in goals for per game. I’ve never saw Bob more mentally fragile in my life. And he’s not just giving up hard goals but extremely soft goals as well.

Before the season began, Bob was asked about his future plans and about playing for his next contract this season... he pretty much said, “I have already informed the management of my plans after this season. They know what I’ll be doing. So I will not answer anymore questions like these”.

It’s evident that Bob’s career as a CBJ is coming to an end. Will be interesting to see how Jarmo handles this Bob situation (among all other things going on with this team).

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Just gave up a hat trick to a Christian Fischer. Crowd booing wildly here in Columbus. Bob is as good as gone.

Fern111

Dec 20, 2015
oh my god just chuck him the Panthers way we're literally gonna take anything,

Reactions: Vilam

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Uncertainty of where he is going to play next season could be getting in his head. Same thing happened with Bishop during his final season with the Lightning.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Granted his numbers are a lot worse than usual, but Bob's always been all over when it came to stats. .908 spct one year .931 the next

But there are a few other issues as well. The new pads, injury history and age.

Still think he has a few more seasons in him, but I feel bad for the team that give him a 5+ year deal

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I would think Bobrovsky winning another Vezina en route to a Conn Smythe as the Jackets win the Cup would be better for them, but what do I know?

He'd have to make some hay in the playoffs for that to happen....He's a regular season warrior that is having a terrible start and will want to be paid BIG TIME on his next contract. IMO it's better for the Jackets' long term future to cut ties with the guy under those circumstances.

Reactions: Facifer

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
This whole mess is on the front office.

When Bobrovski came off his 2012-13 Vezina year they did a ridiculous "prove it" 2 year bridge. They had an easy opportunity to sign him to an 8 year deal in the $6.5 million range. He'd be in year 6 of that deal now. They also had an opportunity to sign him to a 6, 7 or 8 year deal after that bridge expired in 2014-15. He would have been locked up for another 2-4 years (through his prime) with that one.

They did the same idiotic "prove it" nonsense with Ryan Johansen after he had a 33 goal and 63 points season at age 21. Well he has "proven it" with a much better organization and was compensated for it.

But fortunately, they did sign Dubinsky and Foligno to rich 6 year NMC deals and also signed Nathan Horton and didn't insure his contract which led to the Clarkson trade which led to letting William Karlsson go in the expansion draft as the ultimate "correction" for the Horton insurance follies.

And there's this guy named Panarin who has evidently fallen through the grasp of the geniuses who run the CBJ as well.

John Davidson is the most overrated managerial type in hockey. One playoff series victory in 13 years as a Team President (St Louis and Columbus) and a resume full of ridiculous contract strategies with young players who were essentially "no brainers" for long term success. He and Jarmo Kekalained have a dreadful track record dealing with RFAs. They are enamored with their "cost control" leverage over RFAs to the point of doing long term harm to the team.

Bobrovsky's performance has been terrible this season. His head is in a terrible place. He'll bounce back once he gets traded or goes UFA.

Last edited:

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I'm a Bob supporter too, though a Hawks fan. This season I only saw his game against Chicago, so small sample size, but he was bad. 2 weak goals against that he'd like to have back, and in my opinion he was the reason the Hawks won that game. Cerainly the Jackets looked like the better hockey team outside of goaltending. But that's the most important position in the game, and you won't win many games with goaltending like that.

I was happy about the 2pts, but a shame really how poor Bob looked. When he is on, he is the best goalie in the world.

Reactions: blujax

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I wonder what it is what makes players love to play in Nashville but seemingly hate places like Columbus. Management, teammates, they are all big music fans?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->