Sergei Bobrovsky: contract year, below average results.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Man, Blue Jacket fans sure are extremely disrespectful towards the best goaltender in the history of their franchise, a team that he's been on for 7 years. A two-time Vezina trophy winner. And for who, Korpisalo? A guy that has a .900 save percentage the last three years? I don't get it. If nothing else, the performance of the two goalies this year would show that the issues with that team goes beyond any one individual.

I'm sorry, but if this is the way Blue Jacket fans act, you don't deserve a good team.

Here's the THING, you're right, we are BLUE JACKET fans, NOT Bobrovsky fans.

Disrespect? How much of an impact does the team have on "Vezina Bobrovsky"? The CBJ have and have had a "top 10" defense for AT LEAST a few years now. You think Bobrovsky has a huge impact on Norris candidate Seth Jones? Or, does Jones have a huge impact on Bob and his numbers? Its not 'rocket science'.

AND, lets look at the money HE'S BEEN PAID. Whether you want to look at it in the 'big picture' of life, OR just want to compare him to other NHL goalies, he's been paid MORE than fine for what he has produced on the ice, quite literally.

If you watched ANY of his play in the pre or regular season or the 1-2 brutal interviews he gave, you wouldn't be questioning this supposed "disrespect". While Korpisalo's "numbers" (not record--he's 3-0) don't look great, even the most vocal of "pro Bob" people, that have watched the games, admit that Bob hasn't looked good and that NOW we are getting into the category of it possibly affecting the team negatively, more so than just losing individual games more often than normal.

Its clear to me the "relationship" with Bob and the team has been severely damaged. The real/important question is how much of that is not just the "front office" or "coaching", but actually the players. It seems a guarantee that he's going to be leaving the team no matter what, for whatever reason, after the year. If he's NOT helping the team win games NOW, and he WONT be in the future, why should the team "owe" him anything?

He's gotten his millions and his Vezina's, THANKS to the CBJ, NOT in spite of them.

Your last 2 sentences show a BIT of the actual truth. Reality is that Bob is responsible for a huge part of the disrespect thrown the TEAMS way. This idea that he, like Johansen were carrying the team to victory, is fake news. Reality is that they were, and ARE dragging the team down.

Reactions: amethyst

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Man, Blue Jacket fans sure are extremely disrespectful towards the best goaltender in the history of their franchise, a team that he's been on for 7 years. A two-time Vezina trophy winner. And for who, Korpisalo? A guy that has a .900 save percentage the last three years? I don't get it. If nothing else, the performance of the two goalies this year would show that the issues with that team goes beyond any one individual.

I'm sorry, but if this is the way Blue Jacket fans act, you don't deserve a good team.
Not all of us are as disrespectful as others when it comes to this subject. I'm grateful for Bob's time here, and yes he is the best goaltender in club history. That being said, to your point, there seem to be larger issues that go beyond one individual.

I think it's a flawed concept to make your goalie such a large focal point of your team's success. When looking at recent Cup winners, you'll see that they all have multiple top-end forwards, depth down the middle, and one elite defenseman, or at the very least, depth throughout your D corps. Cup winning goaltenders aren't usually Vezina winners (Ken Dryden did it 4 times from '76-79, but the only recent ones were Brodeur in '02-03 and Thomas in '10-11.)

You need good goaltending in the playoffs, obviously, and I think Bob gets too much flack for his post season play, but you can get that type of goaltending from someone who doesn't want $10 + million per year.

The only value Bob really has is that he has the ability to get you to the playoffs by himself. But the Jackets are trying to go beyond that, and if we can get adequate goaltending at a much cheaper price and use the savings to fill the holes in the roster, then I'm all for it.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This whole mess is on the front office.

When Bobrovski came off his 2012-13 Vezina year they did a ridiculous "prove it" 2 year bridge. They had an easy opportunity to sign him to an 8 year deal in the $6.5 million range. He'd be in year 6 of that deal now. They also had an opportunity to sign him to a 6, 7 or 8 year deal after that bridge expired in 2014-15. He would have been locked up for another 2-4 years (through his prime) with that one.

They did the same idiotic "prove it" nonsense with Ryan Johansen after he had a 33 goal and 63 points season at age 21. Well he has "proven it" with a much better organization and was compensated for it.

But fortunately, they did sign Dubinsky and Foligno to rich 6 year NMC deals and also signed Nathan Horton and didn't insure his contract which led to the Clarkson trade which led to letting William Karlsson go in the expansion draft as the ultimate "correction" for the Horton insurance follies.

And there's this guy named Panarin who has evidently fallen through the grasp of the geniuses who run the CBJ as well.

John Davidson is the most overrated managerial type in hockey. One playoff series victory in 13 years as a Team President (St Louis and Columbus) and a resume full of ridiculous contract strategies with young players who were essentially "no brainers" for long term success. He and Jarmo Kekalained have a dreadful track record dealing with RFAs. They are enamored with their "cost control" leverage over RFAs to the point of doing long term harm to the team.

Bobrovsky's performance has been terrible this season. His head is in a terrible place. He'll bounce back once he gets traded or goes UFA.

At least they got Jones when they traded Johansen, and were able to lock him up.

Its funny you mention Davidson. Hockey media is head over heels for that guy despite the noted lack of success. I swear to God I've never ready or heard anything bad about him and I really don't know why because hes extremely overrated.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Well he’s got two Verona’s it’s true, we don’t have any undisputed best goalie anymore I feel st times it’s been rinne or quick or price or bobz and for awhile in my opinion for a long time it was always lundqvist but your right no one is really dominant.

Gibson, vasilevsky and Dubynyk seem like the best right now to me.

lolz no Holtby :skeptic:

Hilarious to leave out arguably the best playoff goalie of his era with a Vezina record of 1,2,4 and tied the record for most wins in an NHL season (also had only 9 losses that year)

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
lolz no Holtby :skeptic:

Hilarious to leave out arguably the best playoff goalie of his era with a Vezina record of 1,2,4 and tied the record for most wins in an NHL season (also had only 9 losses that year)

It’s hilarious is it? I was just rambling about a few goalies off the top of my head I wasn’t listing the greatest goalies of the last ten years in an official way.

I obviously know holtbys dominance in the playoffs and I even like the caps.

He wasn’t even there starting goalie going into the playoffs last year but he bailed them out big time, and won the cup.

He should of been mentioned but like I said I wasn’t making a list and there was never a big o say three year stretch where the consensus top goalie (the argument can be made for that long of time but I’m just saying he was never a hasek) even price was more of a consensus pick then HOLTBY and at no time did people say he is the best in the game undisputed, no question. (For any length of significant time)

There was a year it two in there but I’ve always heard numerous other goalies in that mix during said time anyway. So that was my point when rambling off a few, had it been an official list I could see your gripe....relax.

HOLTBY is probably better then half of the ones I named though admittedly.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
Here's the THING, you're right, we are BLUE JACKET fans, NOT Bobrovsky fans.

Disrespect? How much of an impact does the team have on "Vezina Bobrovsky"? The CBJ have and have had a "top 10" defense for AT LEAST a few years now. You think Bobrovsky has a huge impact on Norris candidate Seth Jones? Or, does Jones have a huge impact on Bob and his numbers? Its not 'rocket science'.

AND, lets look at the money HE'S BEEN PAID. Whether you want to look at it in the 'big picture' of life, OR just want to compare him to other NHL goalies, he's been paid MORE than fine for what he has produced on the ice, quite literally.

If you watched ANY of his play in the pre or regular season or the 1-2 brutal interviews he gave, you wouldn't be questioning this supposed "disrespect". While Korpisalo's "numbers" (not record--he's 3-0) don't look great, even the most vocal of "pro Bob" people, that have watched the games, admit that Bob hasn't looked good and that NOW we are getting into the category of it possibly affecting the team negatively, more so than just losing individual games more often than normal.

Its clear to me the "relationship" with Bob and the team has been severely damaged. The real/important question is how much of that is not just the "front office" or "coaching", but actually the players. It seems a guarantee that he's going to be leaving the team no matter what, for whatever reason, after the year. If he's NOT helping the team win games NOW, and he WONT be in the future, why should the team "owe" him anything?

He's gotten his millions and his Vezina's, THANKS to the CBJ, NOT in spite of them.

Your last 2 sentences show a BIT of the actual truth. Reality is that Bob is responsible for a huge part of the disrespect thrown the TEAMS way. This idea that he, like Johansen were carrying the team to victory, is fake news. Reality is that they were, and ARE dragging the team down.

What you say and what the numbers bear out don't match up. Bob has been consistently among the very best at high-danger saves, saves above replacement, and things of that ilk. While I don't know much about his play to start the season, these things happen to the best all the time. When a player has an off stretch of play in the middle of the season, it's hidden among the regression of numbers.

The real reason for the anti-Bob posts is laden with an agenda. Frankly, Bob has not had a good post-season record. How proportionate the blame is to the team and Bob, that's not something I will speak to. But to say that Korpisalo has earned his starts while allowing 3+ goals a game and sporting a below league average save percentage is erroneous. You simply are not going to have long term success with that calibre of play. A blip here or there, a good stretch coupled with goal support, but nothing long term. If the calibre of the "top 10" defense is as high as you claim, you would at least see it in the backup numbers, and all the advanced metrics. They don't, so it's just your conjecture. Whether it's the fault of the team system put into play or the overall quality of defense is up for debate.

As for the relationship, it would appear that it's not one sided at all. Bobrovsky feels that he deserves a level of play equal to his level of play. If he feels disrespected by the organization, then he's more than entitled to leave. That's business. If Columbus chooses to play Korpisalo over Bob as a development choice, that's also fair. But don't imply that it's performance related.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Bob got yanked again tonight.
2 out of the last three games, he has been pulled out of the game and replaced by Korpisalo.

something has gotta give with his inconsistency, it’s unbelievable. look at the 4th goal that he let in tonight:

He now has a 2.87 GAA, .906 save percentage in 32 games.

Reactions: 7even

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Bob got yanked again tonight.
2 out of the last three games, he has been pulled out of the game and replaced by Korpisalo.

something has gotta give with his inconsistency, it’s unbelievable. look at the 4th goal that he let in tonight:

He now has a 2.87 GAA, .906 save percentage in 32 games.

That's like Carey Price numbers.

That use to mean something positive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad