Sergei Bobrovsky: contract year, below average results.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If the price isn't crazy, I'd take him in Philly.

But then he'd get hurt after 2 games like JVR.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
He’s had a very odd career filled with crazy ups and downs. Vezina contender to worst starting goalie in the league and back up to the top. The only consistency he’s been able to achieve is generally poor playoff play.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I wonder what it is what makes players love to play in Nashville but seemingly hate places like Columbus. Management, teammates, they are all big music fans?
I don't think that's a fair assessment as many players like playing in Columbus and remain in the area after their careers are over.

However, anyone with a serious desire to win the Stanley Cup wouldn't want to be in Columbus. Indifferent ownership and mediocre management won't allow for an elite team.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Not that it changes your point, but 56 goals in his last 14 games including playoffs is not 4.00 GAA. 4 of those games were OT games against the Caps in R1 - one of which went to 2OT. Not sure if he had an early pulls or regular season OTs. But it's probably more like 3.75 GAA.

BakedYams

Jan 14, 2017
"Philadelphia’s Brian Elliott complained of bruises early in the season in an interview with the Courier-Post, and two-time Vezina Trophy winner Sergei Bobrovsky of the Blue Jackets last week told the Columbus Dispatch he fears getting hit by pucks and called the equipment change ”terrible.” Coming off winning the Stanley Cup with Washington, Braden Holtby is less concerned about bruising and more worried about a significant injury."

NHL addressing goalies’ issues with smaller chest protectors

I think the equipment change is affecting his mindset. Same with Holtby and a few others.

Reactions: CanuckCity

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I just don't know who'd take him. Every team pretty much has a starter in place, unless he's willing to go to Buffalo, Philadelphia or St. Louis. Unless he wants to serve as a 1B.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Wow, too bad for Columbus
Bob has been a pretty inconsistent goalie (amazing and terrible) in his career though

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
This whole mess is on the front office.

When Bobrovski came off his 2012-13 Vezina year they did a ridiculous "prove it" 2 year bridge. They had an easy opportunity to sign him to an 8 year deal in the $6.5 million range. He'd be in year 6 of that deal now. They also had an opportunity to sign him to a 6, 7 or 8 year deal after that bridge expired in 2014-15. He would have been locked up for another 2-4 years (through his prime) with that one.

They did the same idiotic "prove it" nonsense with Ryan Johansen after he had a 33 goal and 63 points season at age 21. Well he has "proven it" with a much better organization and was compensated for it.

But fortunately, they did sign Dubinsky and Foligno to rich 6 year NMC deals and also signed Nathan Horton and didn't insure his contract which led to the Clarkson trade which led to letting William Karlsson go in the expansion draft as the ultimate "correction" for the Horton insurance follies.

And there's this guy named Panarin who has evidently fallen through the grasp of the geniuses who run the CBJ as well.

John Davidson is the most overrated managerial type in hockey. One playoff series victory in 13 years as a Team President (St Louis and Columbus) and a resume full of ridiculous contract strategies with young players who were essentially "no brainers" for long term success. He and Jarmo Kekalained have a dreadful track record dealing with RFAs. They are enamored with their "cost control" leverage over RFAs to the point of doing long term harm to the team.

Bobrovsky's performance has been terrible this season. His head is in a terrible place. He'll bounce back once he gets traded or goes UFA.
Sigh... I remember calling Johansen won't play out that stupid bridge contract in Columbus and people would laugh at me.

Now they aren't able to lock up the best forward a Vezina goaltender.

I think Jarmo still can't get it. This is the big league. You are here to win. Sometimes that means you have to open the dam' purse and pay your stars what they deserve given the market. Cost control is neat for running a down to earth traditional team in a finnish league. No offence to any finnish league, but there is certainly a different philosophy there. And JK just can't seem to realize what being on the biggest stage means.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
I wonder what it is what makes players love to play in Nashville but seemingly hate places like Columbus. Management, teammates, they are all big music fans?
Nashville is a very popular party city with a booming nightlife. Columbus, from what I've heard, is Buckeyes and only Buckeyes.

Reactions: Voight

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Goalies take awhile to gel, Luongo used to be the slowest starter and he was mostly pretty great at the end of the day.

You know who realized he was in a contract year? Jeff Skinner. He’s so streaky and now had 8 pts in his last 4 games once he got out on the top line. Leads the team with ten points in ten games. (5 and 5)

I know this might be a cliche but “it’s still early”.

It really is. Jones and that d core will be fine just needs time. He’s only been back for two games as of tonight so...

Bobz is one of the best in the game.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sigh... I remember calling Johansen won't play out that stupid bridge contract in Columbus and people would laugh at me.

Now they aren't able to lock up the best forward a Vezina goaltender.

I think Jarmo still can't get it. This is the big league. You are here to win. Sometimes that means you have to open the dam' purse and pay your stars what they deserve given the market. Cost control is neat for running a down to earth traditional team in a finnish league. No offence to any finnish league, but there is certainly a different philosophy there. And JK just can't seem to realize what being on the biggest stage means.

He got Jones in that deal. Appears willing to open the vault for Panarin. Looks likely he'll be able to dodge an albatross of a long term deal with Bob. Seems like Jarmo knows what's up.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

I think it's just development and taxes. Nashville is an alright city as well. Poile is a wizard of a GM and he's always signed players at their market value or at the very minimum slightly below, and then all of a sudden they begin to play elite.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Not that it changes your point, but 56 goals in his last 14 games including playoffs is not 4.00 GAA. 4 of those games were OT games against the Caps in R1 - one of which went to 2OT. Not sure if he had an early pulls or regular season OTs. But it's probably more like 3.75 GAA.

4.00 to 3.75

That changes EVERYTHING!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad