Serge Savard

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Watching the "Memorable Games In Canadiens History" DVD reminded me what a great defenseman Serge "The Senator" Savard was. I think he is one of the players who you need to SEE play before you can make a judgement. Just by looking at his numbers/awards one would think he was pretty ordinary; 439 points in 1040 games, never a 1st team all-star (and only once 2nd team all-star!)... that lone Conn Smythe Trophy (1969) really jumps out off his achievements [on paper].

I guess that - much thanks to certain Bobby Orr - people just appreciated offensive defensemen far more than defensive ones back in his day. Still, I'm not saying that Savard is seriously underrated nowadays; I believe it's pretty much consensus that he was the #2 of the Big Three (behind Larry Robinson), even though Guy Lapointe has clearly more points, was 1st team all-star etc.

However, I don't think it hurts to say the obvious thing out loud once in a while (i.e. the sort-of point of this thread); Serge Savard was a helluva player! :yo:

Last edited:

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
what hurts Savard's legacy is not Orr, but Robinson. Having legends dominate did not hurt Yzerman, or Hawerchuk for that matter. What hurts Savard was being on the same team as Dryden, Lafleur and Robinson. At his best he was only the 4th best player on his team. Its not really fair to him, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
what hurts Savard's legacy is not Orr, but Robinson. Having legends dominate did not hurt Yzerman, or Hawerchuk for that matter. What hurts Savard was being on the same team as Dryden, Lafleur and Robinson. At his best he was only the 4th best player on his team. Its not really fair to him, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Well, I didn't say that Orr (directly) hurt his legacy; obviously every other defenseman would be in the shadow of a player like Bobby Orr. But it seems to me that defensive defensemen were not that appreciated especially after Orr exploded to the scene. Someone like Brad Park is so much more 'decorated' than Savard, but even though Park was clearly more valuable offensively, Savard was definitely better defensively IMO (though admittedly this is based on 10-20 classic games I've seen - rather than having observed them for years in the '60s-'80s).

Good point about the 'stacked' Canadiens team, though.

Last edited:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Injuries

Two broken legs early in his NHL career 1970 and 1971, following 1965 knee surgery while in junior reduced his mobility and offense. Before the injuries Serge Savard was between Bobby Orr and Brad Park as evidenced by the 1969 Conn Smythe.

Check his injury history at the very bottom:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/s/savarse01.html

Last edited:

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Best defensive d-man I ever saw. IMO At his best in the mid to late 70's, he was better defensively than Langway during his two Norris years. If not for the serious injuries he had as a youngster, he would have been even better. As 1958 states, he would likely have been one of the best offensive d-men as well if not for the injuries early in his development.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Do you guys have any online articles (Other than Greatest hockey legends or Legends of hockey) talking about Savard?? I've been looking online and have not been havingany success

GNick42

When he was playing I remember a lot of NHL coaches saying Savard was best defensive defenseman in game. Plus, he scored 20 goals one year. He was underrated

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Integral to the Habs dynasty. He can be described as the ultimate winner. A guy who was fine with letting Robinson carry the puck while he took care of things at his own end, yet he managed to have a unique ability to join the rush at the right time.

Paul Henderson has stated that in the 1972 Summit Series he "felt better" when he knew Savard was on the back end. Canada never lost a game when he was on the ice. Coincidence? I know my answer ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad