Votes: 36 27.5%
  • Provorov

Votes: 95 72.5%

• Total voters

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
It’s really unfair to compare the two when Sergachev has like 10 games in the league. Sample size is small, and most agree you need 300+ games before you can really make a determination on a defenseman.

Both have shown great promise but Provorov has the bigger body of work and far less support around him. He’s my pick without a second thought right now.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
All I know is that I wish Provorov had a partner like Stralman...

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It’s really unfair to compare the two when Sergachev has like 10 games in the league. Sample size is small, and most agree you need 300+ games before you can really make a determination on a defenseman.

Both have shown great promise but Provorov has the bigger body of work and far less support around him. He’s my pick without a second thought right now.
Agreed.

All I know is that I wish Provorov had a partner like Stralman...
MacDonald? :sarcasm:

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
If talent were equal, I gotta say Sergachev is in much better position to develop and succeed than Provorov is.

Philly has made some strides, but man, that team still has a long way to go before they can be considered a serious contender....meaning Provorov will have a tougher go of it on his road to being an NHL star defenseman.

Meanwhile, Sergachev is on a team that could win NOW and for the forseeable, barring injury disasters and under performing players like last season's Bolts.
And THAT means, Sergy has the opportunity to develop and become a star player under much better conditions with a better cast of players around him.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
If talent were equal, I gotta say Sergachev is in much better position to develop and succeed than Provorov is.

Philly has made some strides, but man, that team still has a long way to go before they can be considered a serious contender....meaning Provorov will have a tougher go of it on his road to being an NHL star defenseman.

Meanwhile, Sergachev is on a team that could win NOW and for the forseeable, barring injury disasters and under performing players like last season's Bolts.
And THAT means, Sergy has the opportunity to develop and become a star player under much better conditions with a better cast of players around him.

The Flyers have one the best pool of young NHL players and prospects in the league. They will be more than fine. Thank you for your concern.

bauer

I WANT GOALS
Nov 11, 2007

lol what? if it weren't for a late meltdown vs Nashville they'd be 6-2 this season. they're already playoff contenders and once a few more prospects (Morin, Lindblom, Myers) replace the few remaining scrubs they'll be a legit contender. they're a year or two away, that isn't a "long way."

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Another factor - Provorov is being asked to be a #1 Dman now. Sergachev will be behind Hedman for the foreseeable future, and not asked to carry that load barring injury or unexpected decline.

Sergachev is in an enviable position for development based on both his strengths and limitations, but Provorov is excelling in the hardest skater position in the sport. He really deserves a lot more credit than he gets - a fantastic player.

Reactions: Hint1k and billcook

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Huge Serg fan here.

Still Provy. Though Serg can definitely pass him. I hope he does :D

But yeah, for now it's Provorov.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I gotta pay more attention to Provorov.
His offensive output is likely going to be limited by virtue of Ghost being on the same team as him and getting prime PP time, but I've been impressed most of the times I've watched him (a few bad games his rookie year notwithstanding).

Canadia

Mar 9, 2017
Vancouver Island
Provorov definitely. He is just a rock on our backend.

Ill admit I haven't seen much of Sergachev to really have much of an opinion on him. But I know for sure that Provorov is something special.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Provy and I don't see it as remotely questionable. Serg is no where near the level of actual defense that Provy plays and at best he's on the same tier as him as a shooter. But being a Dman and that being the most important part of the job I chose one of the better pure young D in the league in Provy.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
I fully expect Provorov to win a Norris by 2020. And if I'm starting a team from scratch he's the 2nd defenseman I'm taking overall to start a team behind only karlsson, so him, by a mile.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
And if I'm starting a team from scratch he's the 2nd defenseman I'm taking overall to start a team behind only karlsson, so him, by a mile.
Over Hedman? Doughty? Jones? Werenski? Slavin? Lindholm? Sergachev ;) ? I definitely see him being over some of these guys but all of them? Come on.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I fully expect Provorov to win a Norris by 2020. And if I'm starting a team from scratch he's the 2nd defenseman I'm taking overall to start a team behind only karlsson, so him, by a mile.

Karlsson and Hedman will still be in their prime, so I don't see that happening.

No issues seeing his as a Top 5-10 Dman, but a Norris is getting a little carried away.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
LOL like Provorov has a chance of winning? Not being offensive dman is pretty big obstacle when it comes to Norris voting. Look no further than Ryan Suter. Even Doughty might not have his if he wasn't good ole canadian boy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->