TSN: Serevalli article on Kassian

North

Jun 25, 2009

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Me love you Zack

I’ve been wanting to pick up a Kassian jersey for years but I’m scared he’s going to walk for a bigger contract..

Reactions: Pointteen

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
Alcoholism doesn't have to control your life, and you can still become wildly successful and happy!

Nice work Zak

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
He's a guy that I would be willing to overpay to get him to stay instead of going to another team.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Me love you Zack

I’ve been wanting to pick up a Kassian jersey for years but I’m scared he’s going to walk for a bigger contract..

Ya same here. Guy is a workhorse. I'm hoping he stays and appreciates the chance he got here.

But Kassian can't be faulted for chasing the dollar, I suspect another career year in goals is quite reasonable.

Kassian slotting in on the top line doesn't do much for the scoring, but he doesn't need to. We just need a cheap winger to slot in.

Reactions: ClinicallyOilered

OfCorsiDid

Ah shit, here we go again
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Me love you Zack

I'd say that's doubtful. He's a power forward on the wrong side of 25 that is just having career years now after some serious trouble.

Plus, I'd say if any upcoming RFA/UFA was going to take a hometown discount it'd be Kass. He's got a family and his life on track while playing the best hockey of his life with 2 of the best players in the world. I think for a guy like him that probably means more than uprooting everything he's built here for just money and term.

But y'know I don't actually know the guy, so I could be completely off base, and I certainly wouldn't blame him if he did.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I sure he wants to stay. Will be hard and very different for him and his family moving to another team. His time with the Oilers has cleaned him up and to him that's probably priceless. That being said I hope it's a fair negotiation from both sides.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Great article and good on Kassian to tell his story. Can't help but love the guy and hopefully he is an Oiler for many years!

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
as long as he does it one day at a time and works the program he is on--he should be good--he can not take it for granted

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Good job Zach keep it up.

Now make sure you get the puck to McDrai and don't try to make too many plays with it.

Ya that was unfortunate on that breakaway when he passed it back to a covered Leon :facepalm: but on the flip side, he has 3 goals and 5 points in 6 games this year, 15 goals last year, and doesn’t look too bad beside Leon or McJesus.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Sealed it for me during his 2016 playoffs running over Sharks and scoring big goals. Make him an Oiler for life, he’s the new Semenko to McDavids Gretzky. Not like the faker we had in Lucic this whole time.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Its a great story, but its never over, and Kass is one of the lucky ones so far. Theres certainly a lot of people that never turn it around. As much as its a great positive story I fear that too many hockey kids can look at stuff like this and wonder whether they can taste the party life and still keep it all on track. Its not the 80's anymore. If you're doing this stuff in pro hockey you get outed. Its Not 80's Oilers anymore snorting line rushes..

Not to be negative, but a story like this should be counterbalanced by a story like this, for any young readers that think they can have a pro career and have lifestyle issues as well. It rarely works out well.

https://thehockeywriters.com/spinning-out-of-control-the-short-violent-life-of-spinner-spencer/

Every drafted young player should know about this cautionary story. jmo.

Even in the Kassian article the complete non awareness of the risks of bad lifestyle choices is shocking in the world of hockey where historically so often they have destroyed lives and careers. Substance abuse issues should be better communicated within the hockey world.

I can't help but mention Joe Murphy in this either. You all know that story.

Zach is one lucky sod, but I hope he continues with sobriety and knows fully how close he was to the brink. The reality is if the Oilers didn't call what would life have been like?

The Montreal part of the story is telling, and most people don't get that gold standard second and third chances.

Lastly, the very strange and odd thing is that both Zach and Spinner Spencer got their ticket to the NHL, in the first place, on having that kind of bent out of shape edge, that anger, that pain that makes it so easy to be hockey enforcers. That feeling that you like hitting somebody and its not terrible you're getting paid for it. That seems to equip you for it. Double edged sword to all that have it. The challenge for Kass was how to still play on nhl ice, still have that edge without all the angst that got that ball rolling.

Now people can assess me a 5 minute major for writing this..

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Very happy for the guy, happy that the oilers were the team that gave him the chance that he needed. We need to make the playoffs again, playoffs in Edmonton is akin to looking for unicorns but when the oilers make it, it’s special. I want to see him destroy everyone in front of him and have his name chanted over and over. What a chilling moment that was game 2 vs the sharks.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Very happy for the guy, happy that the oilers were the team that gave him the chance that he needed. We need to make the playoffs again, playoffs in Edmonton is akin to looking for unicorns but when the oilers make it, it’s special. I want to see him destroy everyone in front of him and have his name chanted over and over. What a chilling moment that was game 2 vs the sharks.

Was at that game. Something special for sure.

Reactions: Oilhawks

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
That’s awesome, glad you got to witness that and a victory as well. I went to game 1 with a few friends, totally got ripped off but still had a blast.
My dad and I wanted to attend a playoff game back in '06 but it never happened. Luckily we got to go to game 2 vs. the sharks. Might've been the best game I've ever seen the Oilers play.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
My dad and I wanted to attend a playoff game back in '06 but it never happened. Luckily we got to go to game 2 vs. the sharks. Might've been the best game I've ever seen the Oilers play.
Same here, became a fan begining of the 06 season, then we made the finals. I thought it was normal. 13 years later here we are all these days waiting for that excitement again.

For me the best game(or 2) was game 1 and the first game at Rogers vs the flames. Nothing comparable to game 2 though, that’s for sure.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Overcoming addiction of any kind can be life’s greatest challenge.

New sober life in a new city, a fan base that adores him, new wife, didn’t he just have a young one........

He’s more than just an Oiler. His story is inspiring and he’s a hero.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Good piece. I think Kassian is an understated motor and leader on this team. He's had to look reality hard in the eye and choose to earn a coveted NHL lifestyle versus roadkill to the trappings of success. He's in NHL peak years and we are seeing the emergence of a special package of size, snarl and skating ability with decent offensive skill. Can also grind defensively with ability to skate with opposition.

Consistency is key. Hope we're seeing the next level of Kassian's potential. We'll see but this guy is a valuable teammate whose finally committed to giving himself the best opportunity to succeed and thrive in the NHL and in life. Zack Attack!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad