Serbia: Serbian Hockey League

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
This Slovenian league is starting to turn into a sort of Yugoslavian league I guess?

Don't believe that this will turn into a regular league, Croatian teams obviously don't want to participate anymore.
But only Zvezda in Slovenia, Hungary? possible. Just hope that they will continue with their good work in both first team and youth academy, always happy to see ambitious team in exYu countries.
Also, hopefully, Partizan will follow Zvezda's ambition.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

I doubt that Partizan wouldn't follow suit. Both clubs are big time rivals and I seriously doubt one would allow the other gain an edge. The one thing I'm curious about is whether another club will spring up in Serbia and follow suit. I would think it would be very beneficial for Serbia (could be wrong), to have at least three teams play in a possible pan Adriatic/Balkan league. So that, at the very least, they can get a step up in competition and improve the development of players.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
@ EvilDead... well, I don't know that there are standards per se, but, here you can see what rinks are in the league last season... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014–15_MOL_Liga_season

Not bad, considering the size of the league. I don't see how Partizan and/or Red Star couldn't be allowed into the league; considering how their arena is roughly the same size as some other teams. Also, do you know why the Steaua Rangers isn't in the MOL Liga?

loppa*

If anything it is Zvezda following Partizan's ambition. Partizan's owner/boss has invested a lot of money into Partizan over the years. Zvezda's boss has not done that.

Not bad, considering the size of the league. I don't see how Partizan and/or Red Star couldn't be allowed into the league; considering how their arena is roughly the same size as some other teams. Also, do you know why the Steaua Rangers isn't in the MOL Liga?

They were not able to join the MOL league because of arena issues. They were not able to get ice early enough. I forget exactly why, but as I recall it is because zvezda had outstanding debts which they did not want to pay, and as a result the owners of the arena did not want to invest in the ice. Partizan was really close to play in the MOL league, if I am not mistaken.

I have no idea about Steaua Rangers. I don't follow the MOL league whatsoever.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
They were not able to join the MOL league because of arena issues. They were not able to get ice early enough. I forget exactly why, but as I recall it is because zvezda had outstanding debts which they did not want to pay, and as a result the owners of the arena did not want to invest in the ice. Partizan was really close to play in the MOL league, if I am not mistaken.

Well that's interesting. Hopefully Partizan, and maybe Red Star at a later date, can pull it off. It would be cool to see some of the Serbian hockey talent display itself on a bigger stage. Has Serbia's hockey governing body (if it has such a thing) tried work with the likes of Partizan and Red Star to improve the level of competition and exposure that their players get at the club level?

I have no idea about Steaua Rangers. I don't follow the MOL league whatsoever.

Sorry if I stumped you there. Was just curious only because Steaua Rangers has been bouncing around from league to league, and I thought that they would have tried to move into a bigger regional league like the MOL Liga.

loppa*

Well that's interesting. Hopefully Partizan, and maybe Red Star at a later date, can pull it off. It would be cool to see some of the Serbian hockey talent display itself on a bigger stage. Has Serbia's hockey governing body (if it has such a thing) tried work with the likes of Partizan and Red Star to improve the level of competition and exposure that their players get at the club level?

The governing body is the serbian hockey federation. They're basically a pawn of Partizan and Red Star (more so the former than the latter).

That's good right?

Maybe maybe not. Teams in previous seasons had to postpone games to the extent that it was just ridiculous and scary. With more teams like this I fear many more postponed / unplayed games.

loppa*

League standings so far...

TIM G W WE LE L GF:GA PTS
1. Tisa Volan 3 3 0 0 0 28:9 9
2. Partizan 2 2 0 0 1 28:9 6
3. Crvena zvezda 2 2 0 0 0 20:4 6
4. Vitez 1 0 0 0 1 3:08 0
5. NS Stars 1 0 0 0 1 4:10 0
6. Vojvodina 2 0 0 0 2 3:22 0
7. Red Tim 2 0 0 0 2 1:25 0

I doubt that they will all play all the games required. But, who knows, we'll see what happens.
The team from Hungary is in the lead... but they have not played partizan or zvezda, who will probably be the two leading teams in the league.

woppa

Mar 22, 2016
Serbian Champioship finished

Partizan won the final against Crvena Zvezda

Partizan - C. Zvezda: 5-4
Partizan - C.Zvezda: 3-5
Partizan - C.Zvezda: 6-1
Partizan - C. Zvezda: 3-2( overtime)

3-1 in total

Last edited:

woppa

Mar 22, 2016
Finnaly some good news for Serbian ice hockey.

In the season 2016/2017 the new formed team HK Beograd will be playing MOL league( Hungarian league)

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
Finnaly some good news for Serbian ice hockey.

In the season 2016/2017 the new formed team HK Beograd will be playing MOL league( Hungarian league)

Great news for Serbian hockey and if played right it might be a big boost for their national team.
Crvena Zvezda has their youth teams in Slo championship (from U12 to U18), U20 will probably play slovenian league (very weak league nowadays but ideal for U20 teams) and now their good players can play in pro league.
They really did use their Zvezda-Partizan rivalry good and now have a chance to become regular member of D1B

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Serbian vancouverite Sasha Lakovic passed away yesterday.

Did he ever play for Serbia?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
players with serbian roots should play in this league until they get serbian pass and can play for serbian national team, i mean..its only 12 games in the serbian league i think each season, they could play this 12 games while still play with another team in stronger league, being loaned out or something. for exemple alen bibic, nikola pasic and milan lucic. im suprised not more have this thinking.

Last edited:

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
It doesn't happen because that can't happen. Unless the player wants to only play in Serbia in two years without playing anywhere else. IIHF rules state for the two-year transition players must, "prove that he has participated for at least two consecutive hockey seasons and 16 consecutive months (480 days) in the national competitions of his new country after his 10th birthday during which period he has neither transferred to another country nor played ice hockey within any other country."

For four-year transitions (far less frequent to begin with), "a male player has participated for at least four consecutive years (1460 days) in the national competitions of his new country, during which period he has neither transferred to another country nor played ice hockey within any other country and has not played for his previous country in an IIHF competition during this four year period."

Could ex-North American pros looking to connect with their roots see this as a great opportunity to quasi-retire? Yeah... but is it going to be good for the long team health of the national team? Nope.

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
You really have to want it to go through with it.
Move like that means your career is over.

First you do have to oblige to come and play there for that period of time and that is an obstacle for potential career development.
Hockey federations are usually sub-par organized so flying over to play would be hard and expensive.
After you played your two years as let's say SPHL player, you most likely won't find a team in Canada or somewhere other than beer league and they won't have the urge to call you up.

There is so many hurdles I don't see the point of doing that for most people. On D1A level with countries having their pro leagues it is another story and even then, people miss their hometown, friends, family, etc

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Exactly. That's why I think you'll only ever see if it's someone at the tail end of their career looking to connect with their roots whether legitimately or because they're vaguely Serbian (or whatever smaller country) and got a nice financial incentive somehow.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
This is news to me. I am planning on visiting Belgrade next year. Specifically to attend The Eternal Derby at Marakana. I will have to see of Red Star is also skating a hockey team somewhere when I am in country.

KTl

Apr 11, 2019
Is Red Star going to play in Slovenian International Hockey League next season?

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
Is Red Star going to play in Slovenian International Hockey League next season?

next season there should be two "groups": Northern (Slovenia) and Southern (others: Croatia and Serbia) so I would assume at least Red Star and Vojvodina will compete

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Research has told me I can purchase Red Star tickets for a home game at Marakana at a team store near the stadium. Do they also sell hockey tickets?

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Research has told me I can purchase Red Star tickets for a home game at Marakana at a team store near the stadium. Do they also sell hockey tickets?

When do you plan to go to Belgrade ? I doubt there will be a hockey game there before the end of September, since southern group of IHL starts on 25th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->