TSN: [Seravalli] Tony DeAngelo has expressed interest in a loan to the AHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion Beckons

Jan 20, 2021
Rangers fans have been letting everyone know what a great guy DeAngelo is and how he isn't a cancer yet he has been blacklisted by the Rangers organization for some odd reason. Truly a mystery.

Reactions: NK94

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
It used to be that people had cause to label someone as a racist, since that was a very serious accusation at one point. I don't think it is as much anymore though because of how misused it's been in recent years - case in point, you saying he "publicly supports racist people and groups".

I would love to hear who you're talking about and why they are racists.
Obviously a post like that wouldn’t be allowed here because of its political nature.

But even if it was, that post wouldn’t happen. If you need someone to convince you that the people he supports aren’t racist, you have to start paying attention to the world outside of YouTube comments.

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
1. Maybe, but people change a lot from when they are 17-18. Weak if that’s all you’ve got.

2. Would that reflect on him or his father?

3. That’s appealing to authority without even using direct evidence.

4. I wouldn’t like it if I was an NHL team. It’s an unnecessary distraction, but it takes some real moral superiority to tell someone they must take verbal abuse from strangers on the internet without responding back. Also, players like Marchand and Voracek have done the same thing.

5. Are you kidding? This must be a joke. The goalie sucked and was the reason for the loss. If not a teammate, the goalie should expect the coach to berate him.

1. He hasn't changed. He wouldn't be sitting at home right now, looking for his 4th NHL team to give him a chance before the age of 25 if he did change.
  2. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, especially when you're young and impressionable. Not exactly shocking that TDA picked up on the same shit his dad has done (and still continues to do).
  3. Again, you think he would be sitting at home right now looking for a 4th NHL team to give him a chance before the age of 25 if he wasn't a shitty person and a shitty teammate? Nobody claimed him on waivers despite his ability to produce and short contract.
  4. Players like Marchand and Voracek didn't cross the line and what they've said wasn't anything that was a detriment to the Bruins or Flyers. TDA did more than once. Simple.
  5. TDA started it despite being warned by Gorton that if he flew off the handle one more time, he's done as a Ranger. A miscommunication between the two led to the OTL, and he was on the ice for 4 of the 5 Penguins goals. Just easier to blame Georgiev though despite him not being the instigator. Hope TDA sees this, bro.

Mar 12, 2009
Except you’re outrage is because someone said something mean (and you don’t even know what it was), and mine is because you’ve all adopted a guilty until proven innocent mentality.
I haven't done that, I pointed out you're as much apart of the outrage issue as anyone so you ought not to exclude yourself and mentioned what I'd heard from Sarnia fans regarding the alleged slur. Haven't made a post saying how I feel about him one way or the other...but get your ounce of outrage on his behalf :).
You're defending him as blind as the people judging him, you've just rationalized it as being different even though you are on a crusade in defense of him because anonymous posters on a hockey message board are being mean to him. Not for nothin', the Deangelo's would be well advised to add you and that other guy on retainer.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I haven't done that, I pointed out you're as much apart of the outrage issue as anyone so you ought not to exclude yourself and mentioned what I'd heard from Sarnia fans regarding the alleged slur. Haven't made a post saying how I feel about him one way or the other...but get your ounce of outrage on his behalf :).
You're defending him as blind as the people judging him, you've just rationalized it as being different even though you are on a crusade in defense of him because anonymous posters on a hockey message board are being mean to him.

I’m not defending him as much as I’m defending the concept of innocent until proven guilty. I’m also against cancel culture.

Reactions: HBK27 and Dumais
Mar 12, 2009
I’m not defending him as much as I’m defending the concept of innocent until proven guilty. I’m also against cancel culture.
and probably terminally online. So this is just a proxy battle for you in the larger online culture wars you find yourself to be a soldier in

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
You are being disingenuous. That wasn’t said by him. If you want to asset someone is racist, show proof. Don’t try to conflate the issue by saying one inappropriate behavior is the same as another. They are separate issues.

Generally, I agree. There should be no difference. Insulting someone with a slur is bad. Trying to delineate between ethnic and racial is getting in the weeds and misses the larger point that both are bad. However, let’s not act like there isn’t a norm win society where we treat one as worse than another.

So you agree, that we shouldn't be splitting hairs with respect to racial vs. ethnic slurs. Both are bad. But you want to jump on me because I said Tony D has a history of racial slurs. If I said "ethnic" slurs then I'd be totally in the clear.

Aight. Half the people here want to get in a semantics battle, and ignore the bigger picture. Cool stuff.

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
It's not cancel culture when he's being held accountable for his own actions. The fact his act and numerous red flags have resulted in 3 teams to give up on him already says a lot imo.

Reactions: Torgo

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Russian guys, what is the approach of KHL teams to this kind of person/player? I saw Voynov mentioned here, Peters is coaching in Russia, these two are each persona non grata in NHL, but aside from their incidents, they are probably pretty good teammate, respectable coach. On the other hand, Tony seems like a guy with a problematic personality whose behaviour could possibly become a distraction for the team.

I would love to see him in KHL. He is so talented and I think larger ice would fit him very well. Could be a big addition to the league.

Russians dont give a rats behind about any of this stuff. They're all well aware of their own history and where this is all leading to.

Reactions: McD37

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
It's not cancel culture when he's being held accountable for his own actions. The fact his act and numerous red flags have resulted in 3 teams to give up on him already says a lot imo.

If that were true then why do so many people hope he never plays in the NHL again when they don’t even know what his actions were?

Reactions: Dumais

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Some of the attitudes here would be considered illegal under Canadian employment laws. Just a FYI.
The NHL operates under CBA and as such doesn't need to comply with all the employments laws. How they operate is set out in the CBA and owners and players agree to it via ratification votes and player contracts. There definitely are good behaviour clauses.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
He deserves to go.

Given the cheap buyout coupled w/fact he would be marked and have to be on best behavior, might have been worth a gamble if cheap on a short term deal.

As it is NY can't wait for buy out window to open and recover most of his cap.

You would think there might be some intersection of numbers where it pays for him to sign a contract overseas, now. NY would oblige w/release from current deal.

He knows he wouldn't get as much money. His contract value would be nowhere near what his NHL salary is, and Euro league seasons are nearly over anyway.

DeAngelo doesn't want to terminate his contract because he wants to protect his financial interests. That's fine. He can do it. But it's up to him. All these takes about "why isn't he allowed to play???" and "why did they CANCEL him" are Extremely Stupid.

Reactions: Off Sides

Bond

May 10, 2012
I am guessing he must be a nightmare in the dressing room and to deal with as management. This is pro-sports and if management thought he would improve the team he would be playing after issuing some weak apology and it would be over and done with. I am sure a lot of NHL players are jerks and the fact DeAngelo still isn't playing tells me there is more to it than he was outspoken on twitter.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

There's no concept of "innocent until proven guilty" unless you're in a court of law. This is, in effect, a labour dispute. It's not "cancel culture" if your employer doesn't like how you conduct yourself by causing trouble with your colleagues and no longer wants you to work for them. If there's some kind of conduct/performance clause in your contract, well, that's how it is.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
If that were true then why do so many people hope he never plays in the NHL again when they don’t even know what his actions were?
You do understand that he'd be able to play hockey in other leagues, right?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Your brain isn't even fully developed at that age. So yes, he is still a kid.
It's pretty telling that he still has attitude issues hovering over him over an 8 year span. The fact he hasn't learned anything in that amount of time has nothing to do with being fully developed or not.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
There's no concept of "innocent until proven guilty" unless you're in a court of law. This is, in effect, a labour dispute. It's not "cancel culture" if your employer doesn't like how you conduct yourself by causing trouble with your colleagues and no longer wants you to work for them. If there's some kind of conduct/performance clause in your contract, well, that's how it is.

While I agree with the premise of what you are saying in this thread, this is not even a labor dispute, DeAngelo has been waived, and is now on the taxi squad, all of which the PA agreed to as within the rules.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
It's pretty telling that he still has attitude issues hovering over him over an 8 year span. The fact he hasn't learned anything in that amount of time has nothing to do with being fully developed or not.
It's also telling when people judge without knowing the facts. And I have notice that support of a certain individual has caused some normally rational people turn irrational. Especially when it comes to people dealing with family, friends and co-workers.

Is that what happen, IDK. But I'm not picking sides because that would be dumb without knowing all the facts.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Our ahl team have a bunch of guys trying hard and chasing a dream. I want him nowhere near our boys!

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I'm absolutely not voicing a popular Hab opinion but I would want both Ho-Sang and DeAngelo in Montreal - maybe transfer DeAngelo to forward :naughty:

Make Papa Weber shadow them and keep them in line.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
It's also telling when people judge without knowing the facts. And I have notice that support of a certain individual has caused some normally rational people turn irrational. Especially when it comes to people dealing with family, friends and co-workers.

Is that what happen, IDK. But I'm not picking sides because that would be dumb without knowing all the facts.
Id personally be surprised if the team lied and him fighting with a teammate was false since it would mean NYR depreciating an asset, but hey I guess you never know.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Russian guys, what is the approach of KHL teams to this kind of person/player? I saw Voynov mentioned here, Peters is coaching in Russia, these two are each persona non grata in NHL, but aside from their incidents, they are probably pretty good teammate, respectable coach. On the other hand, Tony seems like a guy with a problematic personality whose behaviour could possibly become a distraction for the team.

I would love to see him in KHL. He is so talented and I think larger ice would fit him very well. Could be a big addition to the league.

What DeAngelo did wouldnt cross the threshold for acting up in Russia lol. Not being a p***y isn't a crimea here. And if he did something that did cross the threshold he'd stop the first time he got beat or bag skated until needing to go to the hospital. Read Ryan Whitney's write-up about being in the KHL. We don't give a shit but we also don't take shit

Reactions: McD37

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Id personally be surprised if the team lied and him fighting with a teammate was false since it would mean NYR depreciating an asset, but hey I guess you never know.
Would it really be that big of a leap that an "outspoken supporter of someone controversial" that a owner or GM might act irrationally? Sorry, I've seen too many things in the last 4 years to give either side any benefit of doubt.

Need witnesses, video, actual evidence of what happened. And I'm pretty sure NY has hurt their future dealing with players of that particular belief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad