TSN: [Seravalli] Tony DeAngelo has expressed interest in a loan to the AHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Would it really be that big of a leap that an "outspoken supporter of someone controversial" that a owner or GM might act irrationally? Sorry, I've seen too many things in the last 4 years to give either side any benefit of doubt.

Need witnesses, video, actual evidence of what happened. And I'm pretty sure NY has hurt their future dealing with players of that particular belief.
Well when it comes to a player they were already trying to trade, then yes I'd say it's a stretch they purposefully lied and dropped that players value. Would be beyond idiotic, but if you need video evidence then that's fine. I think you can look back at all of his issues over time and figure out that stuff like this isn't unlikely to come from him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So you agree, that we shouldn't be splitting hairs with respect to racial vs. ethnic slurs. Both are bad. But you want to jump on me because I said Tony D has a history of racial slurs. If I said "ethnic" slurs then I'd be totally in the clear.

Aight. Half the people here want to get in a semantics battle, and ignore the bigger picture. Cool stuff.

My personal opinion isn't what you were arguing about.

And I think when you make a serious claim, like someone is racist, the onus is on you to prove it, not to claim that ethnic slurs are similarly bad. Thats a creative way to find your way out of proving what you asserted.

Semantics might apply when we are arguing over something rather trivial. Claims of racism, I don't think there's anything semantical about differentiating between what is a racial slur and what is an ethnic slur.

Reactions: HBK27

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
  1. He hasn't changed. He wouldn't be sitting at home right now, looking for his 4th NHL team to give him a chance before the age of 25 if he did change.
  2. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, especially when you're young and impressionable. Not exactly shocking that TDA picked up on the same shit his dad has done (and still continues to do).
  3. Again, you think he would be sitting at home right now looking for a 4th NHL team to give him a chance before the age of 25 if he wasn't a shitty person and a shitty teammate? Nobody claimed him on waivers despite his ability to produce and short contract.
  4. Players like Marchand and Voracek didn't cross the line and what they've said wasn't anything that was a detriment to the Bruins or Flyers. TDA did more than once. Simple.
  5. TDA started it despite being warned by Gorton that if he flew off the handle one more time, he's done as a Ranger. A miscommunication between the two led to the OTL, and he was on the ice for 4 of the 5 Penguins goals. Just easier to blame Georgiev though despite him not being the instigator. Hope TDA sees this, bro.

1. Thats purely your own speculation from circumstantial evidence.
2. But he's not young and impressionable. He's a 25 year old grown man. If he doesn't know right from wrong now, it's not the fault of the father. I think it's a big stretch to say that he's a shitty person because he grew up in an environment where the father used ethnic slurs. Look at the Jeremy Lin claim from last week. Did the people calling him coronavirus grow up in that same environment or is this an easily learnable, albeit vile, trash talking tactic that happens in sports?
3. If you want my opinion if he's a shitty teammate, I think almost nothing points to that being true. In fact, a lot points to the contrary. His coaches and teammates have had nothing but good things to say about him, including after the last time he was waived. My opinion, he wore out his welcome with management.
4. This is very vague and not specific. Like it or not, pro athletes are allowed to respond back to the abuse they get on the internet. I wouldn't want them to, if I worked in the PR department of an NHL team, but these are also real people, as well. If you are going to call them all kinds of terrible names, send them death threats, insult their family, they have every right as a human being to confront you about those things. This idea that fans have the right to abuse public figures on the internet and they have no right to clap back is ridiculous.
5. This idea that DeAngelo started the conflict with Georgiyev is twisting what happened. Georgiyev was having a terrible game to begin with. The game should've never went to OT. His teammates were probably understandably pissed off at his play. Then Georgiyev makes a completely needless play. DeAngelo should've made the play. Georgiyev gets in his way. If you are DeAngelo, Georgiyev, for all intents and purposes, takes the puck off your stick and drags you into the blame. All DeAngelo did afterwards was make a sarcastic remark.

30 years ago he might've attacked Georgiyev in the locker room for what he did. Modern players are softer now. Instead, Georgiyev attacks DeAngelo for making a sarcastic remark. Georgiyev's thin skin is pretty unbelievable. If you lose your team the game like that, put your hand up, and apologize to your teammates. You don't punch them because they try to make a sarcastic remark over what happened. Georgiyev's situational awareness in that situation is shockingly bad. I'm pretty upset that Georgiyev was not disciplined. Hopefully he was in private. He deserves it. Not disciplining him sets a terrible precedent.

Reactions: McD37

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
The NHL operates under CBA and as such doesn't need to comply with all the employments laws. How they operate is set out in the CBA and owners and players agree to it via ratification votes and player contracts. There definitely are good behaviour clauses.
Wow...is this wrong.

All CBAs must follow all employment laws of all included countries, provinces, and states... but can include extra, more restrictive clauses.
But the basic employment laws are not, at any time, voided by any collective agreement in any industry

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's not cancel culture when he's being held accountable for his own actions. The fact his act and numerous red flags have resulted in 3 teams to give up on him already says a lot imo.

Can you please define what his actions are that he's being held accountable for? Please don't waste anyone's time and make vague references to him being a bad person.

What you seem unaware about is that there have been numerous NHL insiders that have confirmed he's not being held accountable by the market that we hear about as the pushback defense when cancel culture clearly applies. They have made clear that NHL teams have interest in trading for him or signing him following a likely buyout. NHL GM's, Owners, Management mostly don't view the world like this. Maybe a few do, but it's not a majority view.

The reason these teams aren't stepping up and trading for him or wanting him to play for their AHL team is cancel culture. NHL insiders have already said they are concerned about the backlash from certain segments if DeAngelo was to play for their team. Thats absolutely cancel culture.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Wow is this wrong.

All CBAs must follow all employment laws of all included countries, provinces, and states... but can include extra, more restrictive clauses.
But the basic employment laws are not, at any time, voided by any collective agreement in any industry
this is in regards to cutting ties with Deangelo and not letting him play for Hartford - the Rangers are within that right.

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Can you please define what his actions are that he's being held accountable for? Please don't waste anyone's time and make vague references to him being a bad person.

What you seem unaware about is that there have been numerous NHL insiders that have confirmed he's not being held accountable by the market that we hear about as the pushback defense when cancel culture clearly applies. They have made clear that NHL teams have interest in trading for him or signing him following a likely buyout. NHL GM's, Owners, Management mostly don't view the world like this. Maybe a few do, but it's not a majority view.

The reason these teams aren't stepping up and trading for him or wanting him to play for their AHL team is cancel culture. NHL insiders have already said they are concerned about the backlash from certain segments if DeAngelo was to play for their team. Thats absolutely cancel culture.
Call it what you want... the teams are private companies that can do as they please and if you don’t like it....don’t watch.... they don’t answer to you or anyone else.
The fact is ADA is a POS who opened his yap when he should have kept it closed and lost his cushy million dollar job because of it.... if he’s to stupid to learn to keep his yap shut and his opinions to himself.... screw him, he deserves what he gets and I have zero pity for him.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Do you have some article quotes saying teams aren't picking him up due to cancel culture or are you making assumptions as to what type of backlash they are talking about (perhaps a lot of coaches and players wouldn't want a player who causes fights with teammates on their team and are skeptical about it).

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Call it what you want... the teams are private companies that can do as they please and if you don’t like it....don’t watch.... they don’t answer to you or anyone else.
The fact is ADA is a POS who opened his yap when he should have kept it closed and lost his cushy million dollar job because of it.... if he’s to stupid to learn to keep him yap shut and his opinions to himself.... screw him.

I think this idea that the free market is holding him accountable is flawed. It’s a market with outside interference. You have teams that want him on their team, but are worried about outside influences. That’s cancel culture. Teams can do what they want. No one disputed that. When they feel pressured by outside influences to make hockey decisions based on topics that should not be influencing hockey decisions, that’s not good for the sport. It will only get worse.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Do you have some article quotes saying teams aren't picking him up due to cancel culture or are you making assumptions as to what type of backlash they are talking about (perhaps a lot of coaches and players wouldn't want a player who causes fights with teammates on their team and are skeptical about it).

I’m not going to go look for articles. I’m not sure they’re there. However, I do listen to what Friedman, LeBrun, Dreger, McKenzie say. They’ve mentioned the interest teams have but being concerned about backlash for having him on their team. If you watch Insider Trading, Listen to 31 Thoughts, watch for these insiders comments in various places in the last month and a half, it’s all there.

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I think this idea that the free market is holding him accountable is flawed. It’s a market with outside interference. You have teams that want him on their team, but are worried about outside influences. That’s cancel culture. Teams can do what they want. No one disputed that. When they feel pressured by outside influences to make hockey decisions based on topics that should not be influencing hockey decisions, that’s not good for the sport. It will only get worse.
Regardless of sport or not, it’s a PR driven industry... without fans in the seats, watching TVs, buying merch, it’s just a bunch of guys playing pond hockey... teams know this...the league knows this...it’s a simple formula for all to follow... keep your personal opinions to yourself. They get paid to play hockey... not spout off about one political party or another, or one or another leader of whatever country, or who served them breakfast at McDonalds and what colour their skin was or type or clothes they wore or religion they followed....They need to just shut the hell up and play.
This whole cancel culture crap is the biggest BS.... it’s not cancel culture...it’s shut the hell up, keep your personal opinions and views to yourself, and do your damn job culture.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
His statement sounds pretty sobering. Like he's ready to shut up and just play hockey. He must see that his career is in jeopardy. I think any team that had talks with the Rangers could be open to this as a free way to "test drive" Tony and see if he's willing to stay focused on just hockey like he should have from the beginning.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Ditto that they have only themselves to blame. The GM said it was an 'accumulation' that led to the severing, meaning it may have also been related to some of his actions that took place prior to signing his big new contract. It would likely make for a messy litigation if NYR would try to simply void his contract.

That doesn't seem to be in his character. That NY Post puff piece by Larry Brooks was supposed to help him do just that, and even in that contrived medium he couldn't seem to carry the tune. It was a vacillation of "I’ve gotten hot-headed at times. I’m the first one to admit that [audience: are you really?] and I take responsibility for it" book-ended with how he's going to spare us of playing the victim card [what a guy!] and a lot about things: "“I’m obviously disappointed about the way things ended in New York and how things have unfolded", "there are still times where things have happened", “I wish things had happened differently, but like I said before, I’m not in any way playing the victim card.”
That's how Tony DeAngelo "bares his soul".
Could be that he feels like he didn't do much wrong, at least in this instance.
Here's a news flash, there are lots of people who don't feel the need to bare their soul to the woke mob.
For those so quick to condemn a person for a mistake or misunderstanding, have a look in the mirror.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
1. Maybe, but people change a lot from when they are 17-18. Weak if that’s all you’ve got.

2. Would that reflect on him or his father?

3. That’s appealing to authority without even using direct evidence.

4. I wouldn’t like it if I was an NHL team. It’s an unnecessary distraction, but it takes some real moral superiority to tell someone they must take verbal abuse from strangers on the internet without responding back. Also, players like Marchand and Voracek have done the same thing.

5. Are you kidding? This must be a joke. The goalie sucked and was the reason for the loss. If not a teammate, the goalie should expect the coach to berate him.
1. Not maybe, it's a fact. The fact that you try to maybe it really invalidates everything else you say.
2. It reflects the environment he grew up in, people who see their parents do and say things are more likely to repeat it.
3. Sure, but there's a pattern there.
4. Again, if it was one thing maybe you get away with it, but there is a pattern.
5. Not kidding at all, you must never have played hockey. You don't berate your goalie after a game, there are team dynamic issues.

Any one of those things you could be like excuse away, when there's 6 (you ignored the whole downplaying a pandemic, there's also his support of capital riots but that's a little too political) it becomes a pattern. His coaches told him to stop, he didn't.

Bye, Felicia.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
1. Thats purely your own speculation from circumstantial evidence.
2. But he's not young and impressionable. He's a 25 year old grown man. If he doesn't know right from wrong now, it's not the fault of the father. I think it's a big stretch to say that he's a shitty person because he grew up in an environment where the father used ethnic slurs. Look at the Jeremy Lin claim from last week. Did the people calling him coronavirus grow up in that same environment or is this an easily learnable, albeit vile, trash talking tactic that happens in sports?
3. If you want my opinion if he's a shitty teammate, I think almost nothing points to that being true. In fact, a lot points to the contrary. His coaches and teammates have had nothing but good things to say about him, including after the last time he was waived. My opinion, he wore out his welcome with management.
4. This is very vague and not specific. Like it or not, pro athletes are allowed to respond back to the abuse they get on the internet. I wouldn't want them to, if I worked in the PR department of an NHL team, but these are also real people, as well. If you are going to call them all kinds of terrible names, send them death threats, insult their family, they have every right as a human being to confront you about those things. This idea that fans have the right to abuse public figures on the internet and they have no right to clap back is ridiculous.
5. This idea that DeAngelo started the conflict with Georgiyev is twisting what happened. Georgiyev was having a terrible game to begin with. The game should've never went to OT. His teammates were probably understandably pissed off at his play. Then Georgiyev makes a completely needless play. DeAngelo should've made the play. Georgiyev gets in his way. If you are DeAngelo, Georgiyev, for all intents and purposes, takes the puck off your stick and drags you into the blame. All DeAngelo did afterwards was make a sarcastic remark.

30 years ago he might've attacked Georgiyev in the locker room for what he did. Modern players are softer now. Instead, Georgiyev attacks DeAngelo for making a sarcastic remark. Georgiyev's thin skin is pretty unbelievable. If you lose your team the game like that, put your hand up, and apologize to your teammates. You don't punch them because they try to make a sarcastic remark over what happened. Georgiyev's situational awareness in that situation is shockingly bad. I'm pretty upset that Georgiyev was not disciplined. Hopefully he was in private. He deserves it. Not disciplining him sets a terrible precedent.
I'm going to ignore everything except the Georgiev stuff because this is a tired argument.

You are so far off on the Georgiev take it is unbelievable. Verbally attacking your goalie after having a tough game that resulted in a loss is not some acceptable thing that should be expected and the fact that you think it is says that you know nothing about team dynamics.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If I owned, managed, or coached a team I wouldn't let my players follow him on twitter, let alone let the guy into the dressing room as a teammate.

I hope he never plays another NHL game.
Lol hope you don’t own anything

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
The comment that Jamie Benn liked is common sense, nothing transphobic. It's not fair to biological women to compete with transgender.

I had not heard about this "incident" with Jamie Benn, but looking into it further it's insane (though not surprising) that he's getting in trouble for simply liking a comment that states "Biological men shouldn't be able to compete in women's sports".

I think most people would agree with this statement. There's a reason we have men's & women's sports, as men have a distinct biological advantage including different bone structure. The fastest female sprinter in the world is American runner Allyson Felix, a woman with more gold medals that Usain Bolt. Her lifetime best for the 400-meter dash is 49.26 seconds. Based on 2018 data, nearly 300 high school boys in the U.S. alone could beat it. Saying that men (in general) have an advantage over women in athletics should not be remotely controversial.

There is also no scientific evidence that taking hormone blockers for a few years is going to level the playing field. There's also a reason we are seeing many of the biological men that do compete within women's sports dominate, which depending on the sport could injury biological women physically or cost biological women scholarships.

Even if you disagree with the opinion Benn liked, I don't see how labeling him as Transphobic is fair. It's a controversial topic that many people are still trying to grasp and evaluate given the newness of it, but people should be able to have differing opinions without being attacked. Unfortunately, this is a tripwire subject and many people take this tactic against anyone that doesn't fully support their ideology. The book "The Madness of Crowds" does a fantastic job of illustrating this phenomenon and is a good read.

Curious as to why you think that comment is transphobic? I can understand if you disagree with it, but what is hateful about the comment itself?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad