Seph's Mock Draft - Part II

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
1. Edmonton Oilers – Adam Larsson, D
[There is a high chance the Oilers could draft RNH, but I still see Larsson going 1st overall.]

2. Colorado Avalanche – Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, C
[Yes it’s a centre, but the most skilled guy in the draft and has great character. Can’t pass him up.]

3. Florida Panthers – Gabriel Landeskog, LW
[Florida doesn’t need any more defensemen, so they take their future captain and goal scorer.]

4. NY Islanders – Jonathan Huberdeau, C
[Islanders need more goal scoring, high skilled prospects, so they skip Couturier and grab Huberdeau.]

5. Ottawa Senators – Sean Couturier, C
[Drafting BPA at this point they gain a great 2-way centre that has scoring ability to go alongside a great defense pool.]

6. Atlanta Thrashers – Mika Zibanejad, C
[A riser throughout the draft year the big sized 2-way player (aka beast) in Mika is just what Atlanta wants.]

7. Columbus Blue Jackets – Doug Hamilton, D
[Losing Klesla hurts, but gaining Hamilton is better. Hamilton is going to be a hard defenseman to play against.]

8. New Jersey Devils – Ryan Strome, C
[Another BPA, New Jersey stocks more offensive power with the high skilled smallish centre from Niagara.]

9. Boston Bruins [From Toronto] – Ryan Murphy, D
[Can’t deny his skill and skating. Won’t be rushed and will fit a deep Bruins team perfectly.]

10. Minnesota Wild – Joel Armia, RW
[Not a huge fan of Armia, but he does have the skill level and size to make. Just needs to work on consistency.]

11. Colorado Avalanche [From St. Louis] – Duncan Siemens, D
[Already gaining a skilled forward the Avs then get a physical shutdown defenseman they desperately need.]

12. Carolina Hurricanes – Tyler Biggs, RW
[Plays a great 2-way game with already size of an NHL player. Needs to work on offensive game, but will become a great player nonetheless.]

13. Calgary Flames – Brandon Saad, LW
[Another player I’m not a huge fan of, but if he puts everything together will become another goal scorer the Flames need.]

14. Dallas Stars – Jamieson Oleksiak, D
[Purely based on needs, the Stars will take this freight train around the McIlrath spot and will be happy with him.]

15. NY Rangers – David Musil, D
[A lot of people see him more of a defensive defenseman now, but he still has great offensive talent.]

16. Buffalo Sabres – Mark Scheifele, C
[A very impressive prospect, Scheifele has been a riser with great 2-way game and drives into those tough areas of the ice.]

17. Montreal Canadiens – Sven Bartschi, LW
[The gritty skilled forward is what the Habs need and will fit Martin’s system perfectly.]

18. Chicago Blackhawks – Nicklas Jensen, LW/RW
[The winger from Denmark is highly skilled and has a CANNON of a shot.]

19. Edmonton Oilers [From Los Angeles] – Mark McNeill, C
[After drafting their franchise defenseman they get 2-way power forward in McNeill who they lost in Penner.]

20. Phoenix Coyotes – Dmitri Jaskin, RW
[Has great compete level to go along with great hockey sense and decision making.]

21. Ottawa Senators [From Nashville] – Matt Puempel, LW
[Already getting a 2-way centre, the Senators now get a goal scoring winger with great hockey sense.]

22. Anaheim Ducks – Jonas Brodin, D
[Another riser that’s getting attention is the Swedish defender who skates extremely well with great defensive position.]

23. Tampa Bay Lightning – Rocco Grimaldi, C
[Don’t be hatin’! Grimaldi has top 10 talent in a 7th round body. He will grow more as I see a team taking a risk on him in the 1st round.]

24. Toronto Maple Waffles [From Boston] – Ty Rattie, RW
[One of the two late 1st, the Maple Leafs take the playmaking juggernaut from Portland, Rattie.]

25. Detroit Red Wings – Scott Mayfield, D
[Has fantastic size and skates well for his frame. Doesn’t have a lot of offensive potential, but will be great for his stay at home ability.]

26. San Jose Sharks – Stefan Noesen, RW
[Fits everything the Sharks need, good size, plays right wing, and has a great shot.]

27. Pittsburgh Penguins – Seth Ambroz, RW
[Definitely a riser, Ambroz is a winger with a fantastic frame and scoring touch.]

28. Toronto Maple Leafs [From Philadelphia] Boone Jenner, C
[Burke loves big prospects, and Boone Jenner is just another one of Burke type prospects and has great defensive game.]

29. Washington Capitals – Vladislav Namestnikov, C
[Has great hockey sense with fantastic hands and skating, but needs more strength.]

30. Vancouver Canucks – Nathan Beaulieu, D
[Definitely doesn’t appear as a top 15 prospect to me, but is a very safe 2-way defender.]

After doing this I have a few surprises throughout the draft. I did try to take needs into consideration, but also take a balance approach with best player available.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Bonus - 2nd round.

31. Edmonton Oilers – Joe Morrow, D
32. St. Louis Blues [From Colorado] – John Gibson, G
33. Florida Panthers – Oscar Klefbom, D
34. NY Islanders – Tomas Jurco, RW
35. Ottawa Senators – Myles Bell, D
36. Nashville Predators [From New Jersey] – Zack Phillips, C
37. Chicago Blackhawks [From Atlanta] – Jonathan Miller, C
38. Columbus Blue Jackets – Daniel Catenacci, C
39. Boston Bruins [From Minnesota] – Phillip Danault, LW
40. Toronto Maple Leafs – Shane Prince, C
41. St. Louis Blues – Rickard Rickell, C
42. Carolina Hurricanes – Robbie Russo, D
43. NY Rangers – Alexander Khokhlachev, C
44. Chicago Blackhawks [From Calgary] – Christopher Gibson, G
45. Dallas Stars – Miikka Salomaki, RW
46. St. Louis Blues [From Buffalo] – Joel Edmundson, D
47. Florida Panthers [From Montreal] – Matthew Nieto, LW
48 Ottawa Senators [From Chicago] – Lucas Lessio, LW
49. Anaheim Ducks – Brett Richie, RW
50. NY Islanders [From Montreal] – Colin Jacobs, C
51. Los Angeles Kings – Vincent Trocheck, C
52. Phoenix Coyotes – Michael St. Croix, C
53. Nashville Predators – Nicholas Shore, RW
54. Dallas Stars [From Tampa Bay] – Stuart Percy, D
55. Ottawa Senators [From Boston] – Adam Clendening, D
56. Detroit Red Wings – Mario Lucia, LW
57. San Jose Sharks – Shane McColgan, RW
58. Pittsburgh Penguins – Max Friberg, LW
59. Phoenix Coyotes [From Philadelphia] Xavier Ouellet, D
60. NY Rangers [From Washington] Phillip Hudon, C

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Love it from an Avs perspective. Good to see me and you are on the same page SEPH. :)

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Burke already said he wants to move up, but if he stays put i can see him picking a defenseman and a forward in the 1st round, Ty Rattie and Nathan Beaulieu would be perfect. with the second, Leafs IMO would pick Rickard Rickell over Shane Prince.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
As an Oiler fan I would be very happy with a draft of Larsson,McNeil and Morrow

Another great draft by Oilers. I just hope to God you guys pick Larsson.

Love it from an Avs perspective. Good to see me and you are on the same page SEPH. :)

<3. I would love anybody, but RNH is where my heart is.

Burke already said he wants to move up, but if he stays put i can see him picking a defenseman and a forward in the 1st round, Ty Rattie and Nathan Beaulieu would be perfect. with the second, Leafs IMO would pick Rickard Rickell over Shane Prince.

I admit my only mistake is not giving the Maples a defenseman. I just don't really like Bealieu, but I did have him at the Philly's pick before changing it.

Since we didn't tank in our last game, I would be delighted in having a shot at Strome or Murphy.

I definitely understand Devils would like a defenseman and Siemens is there around at your pick, but I wouldn't pass over Strome.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
I don't think the Habs will pick Baertschi if Jensen, Mcneil and Jaskin are available.

But what do I know?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Can't see the Rangers taking Musil after taking McIlrath last year. If we are going to go with a dman, it's got to be one with an already developed offensive game. Maybe we could trade up for Murphy or Hamilton. If we took Musil, I think the Ranger forum would explode.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
As a Caps fan I'm happy with this. As a Avs fan, I'm in love. <3 Love WHL guys I get to see regularly and they are golden.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
I like it from an Islanders perspective. I only wonder if the islanders could trade with Edmonton in the 2nd round to get Morrow?

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
1. Edmonton Oilers – Adam Larsson, D
[There is a high chance the Oilers could draft RNH, but I still see Larsson going 1st overall.]

2. Colorado Avalanche – Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, C
[Yes it’s a centre, but the most skilled guy in the draft and has great character. Can’t pass him up.]

3. Florida Panthers – Gabriel Landeskog, LW
[Florida doesn’t need any more defensemen, so they take their future captain and goal scorer.]

4. NY Islanders – Jonathan Huberdeau, C
[Islanders need more goal scoring, high skilled prospects, so they skip Couturier and grab Huberdeau.]

5. Ottawa Senators – Sean Couturier, C
[Drafting BPA at this point they gain a great 2-way centre that has scoring ability to go alongside a great defense pool.]

6. Atlanta Thrashers – Mika Zibanejad, C
[A riser throughout the draft year the big sized 2-way player (aka beast) in Mika is just what Atlanta wants.]

7. Columbus Blue Jackets – Doug Hamilton, D
[Losing Klesla hurts, but gaining Hamilton is better. Hamilton is going to be a hard defenseman to play against.]

8. New Jersey Devils – Ryan Strome, C
[Another BPA, New Jersey stocks more offensive power with the high skilled smallish centre from Niagara.]

9. Boston Bruins [From Toronto] – Ryan Murphy, D
[Can’t deny his skill and skating. Won’t be rushed and will fit a deep Bruins team perfectly.]

10. Minnesota Wild – Joel Armia, RW
[Not a huge fan of Armia, but he does have the skill level and size to make. Just needs to work on consistency.]

11. Colorado Avalanche [From St. Louis] – Duncan Siemens, D
[Already gaining a skilled forward the Avs then get a physical shutdown defenseman they desperately need.]

12. Carolina Hurricanes – Tyler Biggs, RW
[Plays a great 2-way game with already size of an NHL player. Needs to work on offensive game, but will become a great player nonetheless.]

13. Calgary Flames – Brandon Saad, LW
[Another player I’m not a huge fan of, but if he puts everything together will become another goal scorer the Flames need.]

14. Dallas Stars – Jamieson Oleksiak, D
[Purely based on needs, the Stars will take this freight train around the McIlrath spot and will be happy with him.]

15. NY Rangers – David Musil, D
[A lot of people see him more of a defensive defenseman now, but he still has great offensive talent.]

16. Buffalo Sabres – Mark Scheifele, C
[A very impressive prospect, Scheifele has been a riser with great 2-way game and drives into those tough areas of the ice.]

17. Montreal Canadiens – Sven Bartschi, LW
[The gritty skilled forward is what the Habs need and will fit Martin’s system perfectly.]

18. Chicago Blackhawks – Nicklas Jensen, LW/RW
[The winger from Denmark is highly skilled and has a CANNON of a shot.]

19. Edmonton Oilers [From Los Angeles] – Mark McNeill, C
[After drafting their franchise defenseman they get 2-way power forward in McNeill who they lost in Penner.]

20. Phoenix Coyotes – Dmitri Jaskin, RW
[Has great compete level to go along with great hockey sense and decision making.]

21. Ottawa Senators [From Nashville] – Matt Puempel, LW
[Already getting a 2-way centre, the Senators now get a goal scoring winger with great hockey sense.]

22. Anaheim Ducks – Jonas Brodin, D
[Another riser that’s getting attention is the Swedish defender who skates extremely well with great defensive position.]

23. Tampa Bay Lightning – Rocco Grimaldi, C
[Don’t be hatin’! Grimaldi has top 10 talent in a 7th round body. He will grow more as I see a team taking a risk on him in the 1st round.]

24. Toronto Maple Waffles [From Boston] – Ty Rattie, RW
[One of the two late 1st, the Maple Leafs take the playmaking juggernaut from Portland, Rattie.]

25. Detroit Red Wings – Scott Mayfield, D
[Has fantastic size and skates well for his frame. Doesn’t have a lot of offensive potential, but will be great for his stay at home ability.]

26. San Jose Sharks – Stefan Noesen, RW
[Fits everything the Sharks need, good size, plays right wing, and has a great shot.]

27. Pittsburgh Penguins – Seth Ambroz, RW
[Definitely a riser, Ambroz is a winger with a fantastic frame and scoring touch.]

28. Toronto Maple Leafs [From Philadelphia] Boone Jenner, C
[Burke loves big prospects, and Boone Jenner is just another one of Burke type prospects and has great defensive game.]

29. Washington Capitals – Vladislav Namestnikov, C
[Has great hockey sense with fantastic hands and skating, but needs more strength.]

30. Vancouver Canucks – Nathan Beaulieu, D
[Definitely doesn’t appear as a top 15 prospect to me, but is a very safe 2-way defender.]

After doing this I have a few surprises throughout the draft. I did try to take needs into consideration, but also take a balance approach with best player available.

LOL! Nice how you just subtely snuck it in..haha

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
good work :) I like Jaskin going to Phoenix, I should have had that happen in my mock

I don't think most people will bother with that but on average there's 10 CHL forwards selected in the 1st round. Since the 2000 the highest amount has been 12. It happened in 2003, which was an exceptional year. I don't think we'll get more than 10, maybe 11 CHL forwards drafted in the 1st round this year.

Also, why Clendening as a mid to low 2nd rounder?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
to be honest, I'd be extremely angry if those were the two players the Canes took in the first round. Not so much with Russo, but I just don't see the upside there with Biggs to justify taking him any point in the top 20.

Otherwise, pretty good mock

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
The Habs don't let McNeill slip past their pick. Especially for a small forward like Bartschi.

Unfortunately for the Habs, the Sabres probably pick McNeill with the pick directly before Montreal.

Center, which is a desperate need for Buffalo? Check.

From the WHL, where three of our last four 1st rounders are from? Check.

Another hard-working, chippy, and mean player with size in the Kassian/Foligno/McNabb mold? Check.

:p:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->