24. Nolan Foote, LW (CAN) Kelowna Rockets, WHL
25. Nicholas Robertson, C/LW (USA) Peterborough Petes, OHL
26. Samuel Poulin, LW (CAN) Sherbrooke Phoenix, LHJMQ
27. Connor McMichael, C (CAN) London Knights, OHL
28. Matthew Robertson, D (CAN) Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL
29. Marcus Kallionkieli, W (FIN) Sioux City Musketeers, USHL
30. Case McCarthy, D (USA) USNTDP, USHL
31. Pavel Dorofeyev, LW/RW (RUS) Stalnye Lisy Magnitogorsk, MHL
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
32. John Beecher, C (USA) USNTDP, USHL
33. Egor Afanasyev, RW (RUS) Muskegon Lumberjacks, USHL
34. Albin Grewe, C/RW (SWE)Djurgardens, SuperElit
35. Dmitri Sheshin, C (RUS) Stalnye Lisy Magnitogorsk, MHL
36. Ryan Suzuki, C (CAN) Barrie Colts, OHL
37. Robert Mastrosimone, C (USA) Chicago Steel, USHL
38. Marshall Warren, D (USA) USNTDP, USHL
39. Lassi Thomson, D (FIN) Kelowna Rockets, WHL
40. Nikita Alexandrov, C (GER) Charlottetown Islanders, LHJMQ
41. Bobby Brink, RW (USA) Sioux City Musketeers, USHL
42. Philip Tomasino, C (CAN) Niagara IceDogs, OHL
43. Kaedan Korczak, D (CAN) Kelowna Rockets, WHL
44. Dustin Wolf, G (USA) Everett Silvertips, WHL
45. Vladislav Firstov, LW (RUS) Waterloo Blackhawks, USHL
46. Leevi Aaltonen, RW (FIN) KalPa U20, SM-Liiga
47. Xavier Parent, C/LW (CAN) Halifax Mooseheads, LHJMQ
48. Michael Vukojevic, D (CAN) Kitchener Rangers, OHL
49. Ville Heinola, D (FIN) Lukko, Liiga
50. Billy Constantinou, D (CAN) Kingston Frontenacs, OHL
51. Kim Nousiainen, D (FIN) KalPa U20, SM-Liiga
52. Jamieson Rees, C (CAN) Sarnia Sting, OHL
53. Henry Thrun, D (USA) USNTDP, USHL
54. Arthur Kaliyev, LW (USA) Hamilton Bulldogs, OHL
55. John Farinacci, C (USA) USNTDP, USHL
56. Brett Leason, RW (CAN) Prince Albert Raiders, WHL
57. Tobias Bjornfot, D (SWE) Djurgardens IF U20, SuperElit
58. Shane Pinto, RW (USA) Lincoln Stars, USHL
59. Alexei Protas, C (BLR) Prince Albert Raiders, WHL
60. Maxim Cajkovic, RW (SVK) Saint John Sea Dogs, LHJMQ
61. Iivari Rasanen, D (FIN) Tappara U20, SM-Liiga
62. Alex Vlasic, D (USA) USNTDP, USHL

HM
Vladislav Kolyachonok, D (BLR) Flint Firebirds, OHL
Christopher Merisier-Ortiz, D (CAN) Baie-Comeau Drakkar, LHJMQ
Valentin Nussbaumer, C/W (SUI) Shawinigan Cataracters, LHJMQ
Isaiah Saville, G (USA) Tri-City Storm, USHL
Nicholas Porco, LW (CAN) Saginaw Spirit, OHL
Artemi Knyazev, D (RUS) Irbis Kazan, MHL
Luke Toporowski, LW (USA) Spokane Chiefs, WHL
Wiljami Myllyla, F (FIN) HIFK U20, SM-Liiga
Martin Hugo Has, D (CZE) Tappara U20, SM-Liiga
Michael Gildon, F (USA) USNTDP, USHL
Dillon Hamaliuk, LW (CAN) Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I think one of Dach or Cozens goes too-3, and Byram is the first d-man off the board. Hands down. But in general, I like it a lot. That probably means it is way too NA-centric, though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think one of Dach or Cozens goes too-3, and Byram is the first d-man off the board. Hands down. But in general, I like it a lot. That probably means it is way too NA-centric, though.
FYI this is just my personal list in terms of who will become the best players, not really where I see them going. This draft is going to be super NA I think, all the best birth-year international players either came over to play in USHL/CHL or they're not good enough for the top 62.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
54. Arthur Kaliyev, LW (USA) Hamilton Bulldogs, OHL

That's really harsh... I like it! At the same time I have come to see Honka in similar light as Kaliyev - lots of potential but a lot of work. Ultimate boom or bust. I suspect rankings of both players will vary wildly across different rankings - from mid 1st to late 2nd.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Josh Williams (plays for Edmonton Oil Kings now) over Trevor Zegras?
Absolutely, I think Josh is a way better player than what his stat line indicates. Zegras is a great prospect, anybody worthy to go in the first round has enough skill to be better than 90% of the rest of the hockey world. However, players like Zegras and Robert Thomas just do not really interest me. Sure they have smarts, talent, and good decision-making with the puck, but there is also a feeling where you're left "meh" watching them.

Williams on the other hand is one of three prospects that I absolutely love for this draft (Nousiainen and Warren are the other two). He's still fairly raw, but holy smokes when he has the puck things happen from him - showing a catalyst ability to make plays happen that I quite like in players. Outside of the top 10 or so, he is definitely one of the most dangerous 1v1 players I have seen this season because he plays with such a good pace and has such underrated hands.One complaint I have is that he's plays majority of the game north to south, where if he's able to showcase more vision in the west to east he will go higher on more NHL teams' lists.

From 1 to 10.......12. Seph what a great job!!!!Thanks for sharing and I know you put a lot of work on that list. This is a privilege to be able to have it!!!
Thanks a lot Mr. Mike! Sounds like you don't agree the rest of my list, huh? ;)

That's really harsh... I like it! At the same time I have come to see Honka in similar light as Kaliyev - lots of potential but a lot of work. Ultimate boom or bust. I suspect rankings of both players will vary wildly across different rankings - from mid 1st to late 2nd.
I quite like Honka, I think a lot the hate he gets stems from his brother's lack of success in the NHL and that he has similar strengths and weaknesses to him. However, he has been much superior during his draft year than Julius when he was in the WHL when I've watched Anttoni. He's much calmer with and without the puck and I argue has much better decision making/IQ when he's making a play. He's far from perfect though, I will admit that.

Kaliyev's play away from the puck is absolutely terrible plus he's caught chasing the play since his skating isn't very good either, both are fixable, but both are warning signs that in his current form he should be considered only a wildcard (potentially for a team who have a lot of picks or are able to withstand boom/bust prospects as you alluded to).

MikeC

Feb 28, 2002
L'Assomption
Seph really sorry about the confusion....i meant...if i had to give you a note between 1 and 10 i am giving a 12, your list is that good!!! Great work my friend

Reactions: S E P H

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Wowza. Big drop for Suzuki. I had him drop into my 20-23 range but I wouldn't have thought he'd fall further than that. Any reason for that?

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Wowza. Big drop for Suzuki. I had him drop into my 20-23 range but I wouldn't have thought he'd fall further than that. Any reason for that?
This is what I said earlier in the season...

I am starting to have the same concerns about Ryan Suzuki. There are some prospects who I quite like in the OHL, so it isn't a lost year entirely, but I am seeing red flags in a lot of players including Suzuki. One of the biggest is that he is BY FAR one of the worst cherry-picking players I have watched the past five or so drafts. Terrible because he is also a centre so defence is a huge responsibility, but he hangs around the blueline when the puck is in the defencive zone waiting for his team to win the battles and throw it towards his direction. He also has absolutely no defencive ability in his game, but it isn't for a lack of trying (when he isn't cherry-picking that is). His skating is superb and is insanely crafty with the puck, but he tends to stickhandle too much leading to an absurd amount in loss of possession. His vision is also quite good, while his shot is at the muffin level for me. After watching him a couple of times, no way I would want him in the top 20 as he is now. Not sure if he is even a centre in the long run as well.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
This is what I said earlier in the season...

I am starting to have the same concerns about Ryan Suzuki. There are some prospects who I quite like in the OHL, so it isn't a lost year entirely, but I am seeing red flags in a lot of players including Suzuki. One of the biggest is that he is BY FAR one of the worst cherry-picking players I have watched the past five or so drafts. Terrible because he is also a centre so defence is a huge responsibility, but he hangs around the blueline when the puck is in the defencive zone waiting for his team to win the battles and throw it towards his direction. He also has absolutely no defencive ability in his game, but it isn't for a lack of trying (when he isn't cherry-picking that is). His skating is superb and is insanely crafty with the puck, but he tends to stickhandle too much leading to an absurd amount in loss of possession. His vision is also quite good, while his shot is at the muffin level for me. After watching him a couple of times, no way I would want him in the top 20 as he is now. Not sure if he is even a centre in the long run as well.

Thanks. I have quite a similiar impression of him. Ton of skill and ability, next to no engagement. Incredibly high ceiling with almost no chance of reaching it.

Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Thanks. I have quite a similiar impression of him. Ton of skill and ability, next to no engagement. Incredibly high ceiling with almost no chance of reaching it.
Yeah, the type of game he currently plays will absolutely not help him at all when it comes to reaching the NHL. Every level of hockey beyond juniors is going to be more of best-of-the-best where a ton of bad players will be cut from. Just because he's an impressive stickhandler and skater in juniors doesn't mean anything when the average player in the NHL and AHL are good enough skaters and stickhandlers. He probably will surpass a lot of them in those two categories in his prime, but even with that you're also facing against better IQ players too. That's where I see a limit in his talent and rank him a lot lower compared to other people.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Yeah, the type of game he currently plays will absolutely not help him at all when it comes to reaching the NHL. Every level of hockey beyond juniors is going to be more of best-of-the-best where a ton of bad players will be cut from. Just because he's an impressive stickhandler and skater in juniors doesn't mean anything when the average player in the NHL and AHL are good enough skaters and stickhandlers. He probably will surpass a lot of them in those two categories in his prime, but even with that you're also facing against better IQ players too. That's where I see a limit in his talent and rank him a lot lower compared to other people.

I agree. I feel that if Suzuki didn't have a vastly superior brother (who overcomes his less frequent tendencies of the same flavours) then he would be considered more of a Merkley/ Ho Sang level of risk reward. I dunno though, if I was someone like the Penguins it would be tempting to take Suzuki with lime a 26th pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->