#Senswatch, Sixth Edition: Now Introducing #Avswatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Torts is going to hate the spin moves and casual country attitude. No way Duchene stays.

This has all the ingredients for a beautiful disaster.

Blue Jackets aren't very good, yet will expect this big acquisition to propel them into the playoffs. Duchene with pressure and expectations? Licking my chops. A tough, balls-to-the-wall coach that has no problem calling out underachievers? A matter of time.

Prediction:

Duchene struggles, BJs struggle, Torts-Duchene tension, almost zero chance of an extension.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Duchene also took a while to find his footing in Ottawa, after having a good start to the year with Avs. He has even less time to adjust in Columbus. I cannot imagine his personality is going to mesh well with Tortorella in any case, but there's a good chance he slumps for a while too. Should be really interesting.

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
...still bummed Duchene wasn't a lifer with Avs...

Even if the Avs made out like bandits on that trade. And the trade had to happen at the time.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I hope Duchene does amazing there and re-signs cause otherwise he's going to Nashville and that is just to good of a situation for him to walk into and will likely make it harder for us to get past the first round for the next 3 years or so.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Here's the saddest thing that could happen:

The 2019 1st pick is top 3 protected, which means if CBJ misses the playoffs (sad) and wins the lottery (sad for us) then the pick becomes CJB's 2020 1st pick.

However,
The 2020 pick is already a conditional pick that Ottawa gets if Duchene re-signs in Columbus.
So, Duchene re-signs before the draft lottery, Ottawa gets the 2020 pick, CBJ wins the lottery, keeps the 2019 pick, and Ottawa can't get the 2020 pick again so they get nothing for Duchene re-signing.

At this point you'll say "shouldn't they get the 2021 pick instead" and I'll counter with, "Only if Dorion thought to include a clause that says so".

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

The 2019 1st pick is top 3 protected, which means if CBJ misses the playoffs (sad) and wins the lottery (sad for us) then the pick becomes CJB's 2020 1st pick.

However,
The 2020 pick is already a conditional pick that Ottawa gets if Duchene re-signs in Columbus.
So, Duchene re-signs before the draft lottery, Ottawa gets the 2020 pick, CBJ wins the lottery, keeps the 2019 pick, and Ottawa can't get the 2020 pick again so they get nothing for Duchene re-signing.

At this point you'll say "shouldn't they get the 2021 pick instead" and I'll counter with, "Only if Dorion thought to include a clause that says so".
They get the 2021 pick.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

However,

I would bet big money the 2019 1st is guaranteed in some way. Whether it’s 2019, 2020 or 2021 depending on how it all goes.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow

However,

He actually did

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'd wait for the draft before assessing how you feel about the trade. I personally don't miss him and his inconsistency/'head-casey-ness' at all.

One can still miss the player and also be happy about the return he netted.

Say what you will about Matt Duchene, but I'll always feel the organization failed him far, far worse than he supposedly failed the organization.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
What do you mean?

It’s a guaranteed 1st round pick + Two prospects. Plus the bonus of an additional 1st if Columbus re-signs him.
The difference between a late first and a mid round first is huge.

We don't know if he will sign yet.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Ugh this is weird, I've been in Columbus now for over 20 years, but grew up mostly in Denver. I've tried to jump on the CBJ bandwagon, but have never really been able to care beyond when I actually head to the games.

This makes me want to root for them a little more, but I'd be surprised if he sticks around after this season. Then again, I'm surprised every year that goes by and I'm still here.

Ohio_Mousepad_300x300.jpg

I lived in Columbus for about five years. Unless your two great passions in life are college football and German food, I wouldn't recommend it.

Reactions: Avaholics Anonymous

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
One can still miss the player and also be happy about the return he netted.

Say what you will about Matt Duchene, but I'll always feel the organization failed him far, far worse than he supposedly failed the organization.

I've never been a huge Duchene fan, but this is definitely true.

Reactions: Pokecheque

jvcjdudu jcycyxjene

Nov 11, 2014
Denver
I hated the trade when it happened, I hate it now, I will hate it in the last breath I take before I die.
Idk you sound like a pretty big Duchene fanboy. I like Duchene, but he's a headcase and seems like he wasnt the best influence on our young players (see Uber video). I'm glad he's gone, and even happier that we got such a killer return for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->