#Senswatch Part III: A Night at the Opera

Status
Not open for further replies.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
They really didnt look bad, they still have some nice high end talent in Duchene and Stone, solid vets in Boedker, Tierney, Demelo and some eager beaver rookies. I think they'll finish in mid teens.
This game proved more so how bad the Hawks are than Ottawa actually being better than they seem. And mind you Ottawa played about as well as they can, in their home opener against a bad team and still found a way to lose in OT.

They got rid of a generational dman, and a 25+ goal guy and didn't replace either. Their defense rivals that of Zanon/Hunwick era Avs defense. They are relying on a 37 year old goalie to have a bounce back season. Their offense is relying on Duchene to be one of The guys that carries them, which we all know doesn't go especially well.

Lets wait a few games and watch them actually play some decent teams and maybe some road games. And then we can start to see what kind of team they are going to be.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
They really didnt look bad, they still have some nice high end talent in Duchene and Stone, solid vets in Boedker, Tierney, Demelo and some eager beaver rookies. I think they'll finish in mid teens.

Let's see what they look like when they're not playing against another bottom 5 team.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Toronto is going to eat that defense alive on Saturday.
giphy.gif

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
This game proved more so how bad the Hawks are than Ottawa actually being better than they seem. And mind you Ottawa played about as well as they can, in their home opener against a bad team and still found a way to lose in OT.

They got rid of a generational dman, and a 25+ goal guy and didn't replace either. Their defense rivals that of Zanon/Hunwick era Avs defense. They are relying on a 37 year old goalie to have a bounce back season. Their offense is relying on Duchene to be one of The guys that carries them, which we all know doesn't go especially well.

Lets wait a few games and watch them actually play some decent teams and maybe some road games. And then we can start to see what kind of team they are going to be.

Fair enough but i dont think they're that bad , not sure if we're ever really gonna get fair crits of the sens on here cause we want them to be bad but i dont see it

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
We'll see about the Sens, I still think they'll do better than the pundits say, but yes, Chicago looked awful apart from Toews/Kane/Debrincat. Can't believe Bowman thought getting Cam frickin' Ward was a good idea to back up a goalie with serious health issues.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Fair enough but i dont think they're that bad , not sure if we're ever really gonna get fair crits of the sens on here cause we want them to be bad but i dont see it
I'm not hoping they will be bad, that's just bad karma. I'm just looking at the roster and it's pretty weak.

I'm mean what do they have? Duchene and Stone are higher end NHL forwards. But neither are Superstars that can carry a team. After that they have guys like Boedker who hasn't had more than 40pts since the year he was in Colorado, Ryan who is at very best a 50 pts guy if he can even stay healthy, Smith and Dzingel are middle the road, middle 6 guys. And then you have kids like White, Tkachuk, and Formenton. And really asking them to be anything more than a Jost/Kerfoot level rookie year is asking a lot.

Then on defense Chabot is a nice piece, and Ceci is a decent middle pairing guy but after that it's pretty weak. It's going to be a week point for them this year. We've all seen what a below average defense does to a team and it isn't pretty.

In goal Anderson is fine but he is 37 years old. Had a bad season last year and who knows if he'll bounce back or not. I can assure you that his defense isn't going to be much help. He will have to have a big year if they plan on not being bottom 10.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

They should be all gone by the Trade Deadline, unless something crazy happens and they over perform..

Reactions: New Scotlander

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
We'll see about the Sens, I still think they'll do better than the pundits say, but yes, Chicago looked awful apart from Toews/Kane/Debrincat. Can't believe Bowman thought getting Cam frickin' Ward was a good idea to back up a goalie with serious health issues.

Chicago needs to blow up their roster. No way they are going to win SC with this roster again. Just too old, not hungry etc.. They have won it all, too many times and too big salaries.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I dunno....still one game but Buffalo looked completely disorganized to start the year. Again. Maybe Housley just isn't a good head coach, though I hope that's not true.
Jack Eichel, IF he stays healthy all season, will single handedly get Buffalo more points than the Sens get lol.

I just think the Sens are awful, and will continue to be a disaster.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
The good news is that Ottawa lost in a disheartening way last night

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Jack Eichel, IF he stays healthy all season, will single handedly get Buffalo more points than the Sens get lol.

I just think the Sens are awful, and will continue to be a disaster.

Well, that's a very big IF. Also, and this is just gut instinct on my part, I just feel there's something about Eichel that keeps him from being a worthy franchise player despite the elite-level skill he possesses. Plus, say what you will about Ryan O'Reilly, but going from him to Patrik Berglund is a major downgrade. Mittelstadt better get his shit together, and fast.

I dunno, I just think the Sens will find some way to put together a respectable run before collapsing down the stretch. It won't get them into the playoffs per se but it might be the difference between 31 and, like, 27. Plus, there are a few truly awful teams in the East that'll be competing for that last overall spot.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Well, that's a very big IF. Also, and this is just gut instinct on my part, I just feel there's something about Eichel that keeps him from being a worthy franchise player despite the elite-level skill he possesses. Plus, say what you will about Ryan O'Reilly, but going from him to Patrik Berglund is a major downgrade. Mittelstadt better get his **** together, and fast.

I dunno, I just think the Sens will find some way to put together a respectable run before collapsing down the stretch. It won't get them into the playoffs per se but it might be the difference between 31 and, like, 27. Plus, there are a few truly awful teams in the East that'll be competing for that last overall spot.
The Atlantic second division will be worth a few wins. Wankouver, Chicago and possibly Zona (I'll believe them when I see them) have tougher competition.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
It all depends on Anderson if you ask me. If he gives up like he is known to do, we'll be sitting pretty. I will be happy with a 5-10 pick, everything else is just icing on the cake. Also , a slow start will go along way........to Anderson quitting and Duchene putting too much pressure on himself.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Chicago needs to blow up their roster. No way they are going to win SC with this roster again. Just too old, not hungry etc.. They have won it all, too many times and too big salaries.

Well, that's the problem...they can't really blow it up. Unfortunately they made two very egregious errors. The first one was dealing Artemi Panarin for Brandon Saad, and the other was in giving Brent Seabrook that horrendous contract. Even Seabrook in his prime shouldn't get a deal like that. I'm sure Q will get the blame though. Crawford was doing more to cover up for their shortcomings than we all realized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->